Should illegal immigrants be allowed to apply for a green card or citizenship if they have resided in the United States for a substantial number of years?

• I believe that an illegal immigrant should be allowed to recieve a green card

Many immigrants come here for a different and better life, and I simply dont understand why people don't understand that. No one came here to steal your jobs or hike taxes. However, I also believe that if they entered illegally, they should face their jail time before being allowed a green card.

• Yes, allow them to stay...

The illegals who are already living and working in the USA,and have no criminal record should be allowed to stay and given a green card. Its the only sensible thing to do. They are here already. Why should the government disrupt communities? It's not like we are giving an invitation to more people who are here as yet. With that said, I think we should secure the borders going forward.

• Green Cards but *never* citizenship

I think illegal immigrants who have met a certain threshold (ie no crimes, work and contribute etc) should ONLY be allowed Green Carda and at the same time acknowledge they broke the law and as a result absolutely no chance at citizenship and no birth right citizenship. That only makes it fair to those who went about it the "right" way.

• Yes, I think they should get their green card

My husband is illegal and he is working his butt off to give me a good life and for my future children. Yes I understand the law was broken and I believe they should be fined as a punishment, but I also believe after that fine is paid they should be able to get papers while in the USA. Because really when you think about it the government is about money anyway so why not help these people get a legal status? If their records check out good then they should stay, except for the drug dealers, rapists, robbers, etc. They should be deported! I pray and ask god they come to a resolution so we can move on with our lives.

• Absolutely

America is a land made up from immigrants. People should still be allowed to immigrate here but some righteous people decided to make it really difficult to do so. Therefore people immigrate illegally. I think if a person wants to come to this country, he should be allowed to do so and be required to learn the language and get a job or start an education. Anyone who does that should be allowed to stay. If they fail to do so, they should leave. It would be easy to require newcomers to report to a department in regular intervals so records could be kept of their progress. Of course this is just a rough idea that would need to be worked on. Bottom line is that it's too cumbersome to immigrate legally. A single person without relatives here or a spouse has no avenue whatsoever. Is that fair? For those who say that wave the "law breaker" banner should sock it. Most of you break the law every day when you're out driving so should be throw all of you in jail? Besides, illegal immigration does not fall under breaking the law anyway and not all illegal immigrants are tax cheats. If you're going to argue a "fact"; you should also provide your source of that fact. If you don't, it's not a fact at all. Just your misguided belief. Applying for a green gard is not the same as being granted one. If a person can show good character, paid taxes, contributed to society and has not committed any crimes; that person should be granted. If he can't show any of it. He should be denided. The requirements will weed out those who wouldn't qualify. The truth is that many illegals are behaving themselves better than legals in this country.

• Yes

It's a pity that 38 percent don't agree in my opinion they are pathetic people because we are made up from diversity. Most of the immigrants who are not illegal are the ones to build the economy, they are out there helping America build a better future. Let's help them build a better future by giving them a green card.

• Yes

Yes, I think they deserve it after such a long time. After working hard and without any crime records on their head, they should be allowed to give a green card on request, as that person has done nothing wrong to the country while staying illegally either way, rather brought some extra work-force and significantly cheap labor to the country when needed most!

• Of course

Yes, I think they deserve after such a long time. After working hard and without any crime records on their head, they should be allowed to give a green card on request, as that person has done nothing WRONG to the Country while staying illegally either way, rather brought some extra work-force and significantly cheap labor to the Country when needed most!

• I support anyone who can stay in this country for so long and work

It is not easy to be an illegal and staying in the US working because you face a great deal of injustice, the ignorance of the citizens that know you are not stable will take advantage. It's a pity that 38% don't agree in my opinion they are pathetic people because we are made up from diversity. That is what makes us different, take away that and all you have left is want to be pure tens. I've seen first hand how a boss, manager, or even just the crew can treat a man horribly because of the simple fact. This man has a degree in engineering and is brilliant but can't even receive credit. So that my opinion on the subject.

• yes

i believe if they have been in this country for a period of 5 to 10 years or more in this country then they should be allowed to stay. most of them dont want to become american citiziens but only to fulfill the american dream. they also want to give better life to their families and children.i say if they can prove they,ve paid taxes and have no criminal record and a lawful resident then why not
    .i should say most of your ancestors are immigrants . don t forget that california ,arizona , utah and nevada also rightfully belong to mexico and should be returned . i am american indian i wish that my ancestors were in charge instead of having this country stolen from them , so my husband could get his papers

• We should not give illegal immigrants green cards

Would you give a drug dealer or a theft or a murderer or any other type of criminal who is a citizen amnesty for his/ her crimes because they managed to not get caught for years. It's the same concept. Illegal immigrants are here illegally which means they are criminals as well. If you give illegal immigrants green cards you just condone criminal behavior and it encourages more people to do it. If they want a green card they can do through the same process as the immigrants who came here legally.

• Illegal is illegal.

It's really a joke to me that the basis for immigration and naturalization is based on the "seniority" and not on the "merit". If we allow anyone who wants to come to the US to live permanently, the US will not be the same US. No more anchor babies, no more loopholes for benefits and no more Spanish signs/logos.

• I am against letting illegal immigrants apply for a green card, because they have broken the law and should not be rewarded for doing something illegal.

Illegal immigrants should not be given the ability to apply for green cards, even if they have been in the United States for several years, because they are breaking the law. By allowing them to apply, it sends a two-fold message. First, to those looking to enter the country illegally, it says that, if they keep a low profile, they will get by with breaking the law. Secondly, for those who followed immigration laws and worked hard to earn their green cards or citizenship, it shows that their hard work, honesty, and diligence did not matter. Everyone who enters the country and wants their green card or citizenship should be required to follow immigration rules, not be rewarded for breaking them.

Posted by: BouncyWalter37
  • No way for them

I pay so much money to be legal and go through so much paperwork, stress.
    Its completely unfair. I feel like they treating illegals better than legals. I gave birth to my son, paid the full bill. But the illegal got covered by the government. WTF. Thats why there is so many illegals, because they always have this weird support and we dont
    They need to have no rights and no privileges

• It is unfair and no one benefits

Immigrants wait around the world to be granted citizenship and illegal immigrants jump the border/ make it to America. These people are mooching off our government with benefits especially in California and where does this money come from? The people! So we need to deport rather having them commit crimes here/take our welfare! The younger generations will be paying for this mess! So please, we need to get them out!

• It is a slap in the face for all the families that immigrate legally to the country

• Tell me friends

What is the argument in favor if legally immigrating to the United States if you can sneak in illegally and eventually have a path to become a legal citizen? There is none. You should be unceremoniously thrown out. lol@you face injustice by working illegally in the US, you're breaking the law, no one is bound to respect that. The main point is ILLEGAL, we should encourage and allow lots of legal immigration, but if you can't do so legally you shouldn't be rewarded for trespassing against the law.

• Illegal immigrants should not be allowed to apply for a green card or citizenship just because they have lived in the U.S. for a number of years, because they should not be rewarded for not getting caught.

Illegal immigration is a costly burden to American taxpayers and now, more than ever, we are seeing the long-term effects of this economic strain. Seniors, who lawfully live, and many of whom have served this country, are now being denied services, due to a lack of funding. This lack of funding can directly be attributed to the increasing number of illegal immigrants. Those who come here illegally, regardless of how long they have been here, are still law breakers and tax cheats, and need to be deported or possibly prosecuted.

Posted by: FunnyCarlo99
  • I dont think it's fair for others who entered the US legally and who have also been waiting to receive their green cards

There is a lot of people who are living out of the country and their parents are US citizens . These people have applied for a green card at an adult age and have to wait almost 20 years now to receive their permanent US residency, they have entered and left the country legally and now the new bill, if passed, will grant the undocumented immigrants their residence in less than 13 years. I do understand they want to fulfill the american dream , I don't have anything against them but we have laws that if broken then there should be consequence for this.

• Should you let bank robbers keep the money if they had the money for a long time?

People tend to mix law with emotions. Law is law. Without law, there would be no USA. Imagine everyone on earth is running through the flood gate at the Mexican border line and staying in this country and popping out anchor babies ... The list goes on and on. End birth citizenship and penalize employers for hiring illegal immigrants - without benefits and income, they will self deport.

Research this topic: United States, Barack Obama
Anonymous says2013-03-19T22:00:14.850
i agree that illegal immigrants should become a citzen
Anonymous says2013-04-19T02:59:21.793
Yes imagrants who have been here for the longest time should already be considered Americans. I have seen more Mexicans work hard. People need not to forget were they get there produce and who hauls it to the stores and other places. There are Mexicans out there that also want education. To have better work to provide for there famalies unlike most of united state. I blam our president. If you look at the map of united states both Mexico and new Mexico are connected to USA unlike Alaska and Hawaii.....