Should illegal immigrants be made legal citizens?

• We are needed.

The USA is nothing without immigrants, especially Hispanics which do everything that an American won't do such as building houses and etc, also immigrants want a future too and that's why people move from their countries to have a better future that their country wont offer to them poor citizens.

• Yes it is only fair.

Put yourself in their feet. How would you like it if you couldn't do anything? You can't drive. You can't get a good job or got to college. It is very depressing. Wouldn't you like to have a chance. I'm sure I would. Then why shouldn't we give them a chance? They can help us a lot more than we think. We shouldn't be selfish.

• Everyone deserves a chance at everything!

Illegal immigrants are people like everyone else. They come here to live the dream, just like everyone else. It's not their fault that you can't easily get a visa, its not their fault is cheaper to come here illegally then legal. The world has many things we don't like so if people would get along better then the world would be a happier place to live.

• Yes

Yes I think illegal immigrants should be made legal citizens, but I do not think it should be automatic. I think they should have to have lived and worked here for a certain amount of time. They cannot have a criminal record, and they will have to go through the same process that others do to get their final citizenship.

• After a certain time period illegal immigrant should become legal.

One might need to consider a few things to be accepted into legal citizenship, though. SSI should check whether they have been paying their taxes, how much they make, or their criminal records before admission into citizenship. All people have a right to get help from the government, attend the college of their choice, or get a driver's license if their criminal records don't prohibit them.

• Give people a chance.

I believe that as long as the person has worked hard and has no criminal record, why not let them become legal? Everyone deserves a chance to make their life better. This isn't even our country of origin. We too came from some far off land with hopes and dreams. The thing is when we came here we came to the land and took it by force. Most of the illegal citizens are just working hard and trying to make their lives better. At least their not here destroying our civilization like we did to that Native Americans. Everyone deserves a bright future. Everyone breaks a law so don't try to use that as an excuse. Give people a chance to make their lives and our country a better place.

• Yes they should be made legal citizens

I think they should be made legal citizens so that way they can live a normal life. They will also be able to drive, work and not worry about being deported and can also pay taxes. They can contribute more to this country. Also they will be able to travel to see their families that they haven't seen in a long time. Enjoy life more.

• They Should Become Legal

They should become legal immigrants because they have fought to come to the U.S. And they wanted a better life. And isn't this the "United States" and doesn't the Statue of Liberty stand for something. Illegal immigrants should get documents. But just that there should be a limit to the immigrants that come to this country

• yes they should

After a certain time period illegal immigrant should become legal. One might need to consider a few things to be accepted into legal citizenship, though. SSI should check whether they have been paying their taxes, how much they make, or their criminal records before admission into citizenship. All people have a right to get help from the government, attend the college of their choice, or get a driver's license if their criminal records don't prohibit them.

• YES. The USA of today was founded by illegal immigrants who came in 1600's, killed, and took the lands and properties of the American Indians.

At least, the recent illegal immigrants, came for a better life for their families, did not take over illegally any assets, did not slaughter and are mainly hard working individuals that eventually create new businesses and innovations.

Realistically, without the continuous flow of immigrants, the US economy would have become lethargic and non-competitive, resulting in lower economic growth, income and standard of living. If we had a smart immigration policy that allowed enough trained individuals to enter and satisfy the needs of the economy, there would not have been a major issue of illegal immigration. It is the antiquated immigration law and its implementers that have caused the problem. It is human nature to seek survival for your family and a better life. It goes back to the prehistoric hunters....

• Immigrants should not become legal.

I feel illegal immigrants should not become legal. They do not contribute to the success of our country... They make it worse. They come to the United States and use every government assistance program available, but do not pay taxes. I feel all illegal immigrants as well as their children should be sent back and then they can go through the real process of becoming legal. If they are approved to come into the states they should have to pay all taxes true Americans pay. The citizens of United States of America should not have to learn Spanish because that is the only way to get a job. Illegal immigrants are coming to the states without knowing English and is taking all the jobs from Americans because business have no choice but to hire you to serve you. All illegal immigrants should be sent back as well as their children because if the parents were not here illegally they the child would not have been legal to begin with. I will the government and law makers would go ahead and make the right decision, so our country could get out of this economy issue and become the country we once was.

• Price of food.

With illegal citizens becoming legal they would feel that they should have the rights as normal American citizens, thus making employers pay the citizens the same as everyone else, making the price of products increase. Plus, will the normal citizens go out and pick fruit and vegetables for minimum wage? No.

• Illegal immigrants should not be allowed in the United States.

They should not be allowed in the United States because there are many people in the world who are waiting for their visas and green cards so they could come to this country. Is it fair that we let those people in line be cut by people who might have not even applied for a visa? In addition, jobs in the U.S. are becoming rare as the days go by. Every job counts and if we let people who are illegal in the country get these available jobs, how about the people who are legal. It is not fair!

• Bad for the economy

When they come over they don't pay taxes in fact they use the itin and get money back because of their kids they had here. Secondly haven't you seen the people that gotten run over and the person just drove off a lot of the hit and runs come from illegals because they too scared of getting deported. They get on welfare because they have someone helping them out and helping them break the law. I have seen so much stuff and if you think by giving them citizenship is going to better the country your wrong. I have to learn Spanish just to keep my job. It's ridiculous they only hire they're kind and look at you crazy and talk about you in their face cause you don't know the language. Why should they have it easy when they majority of other races did it the right way and they get a free pass. If they could break the law once you don't think they'll try and break it again on a much larger scale... Hmmm

• Not Even An Option

The illegal immigrants (especially Mexicans) pass right through the American legal system and set a bad example for those who follow. If the illegals are to be eventually given citizenship, what's the purpose of having the citizenship process at all? The other immigrants get to sit idly by and watch the illegals waltz right through to America without a single worry.

• They're breaking a law just like a prisoner, so should we set prisoners free and reward them?

They're breaking laws coming into the country, but rewarding them is insulting those who waited for their visa. They broke the law just like a prisoner, so should we set the prisoner free and give him a job? A lot of you are supporting the fact the illegal immigrants are coming into the country for a better life, but they should come into the country like everyone else.

• illegal immigrants should abid by the law

No. Illegal should not be made citizen because they are breaking the law. They should go though the same process as other immigrants. Illegals think because the work for nothing they dont have to follow the law. No ID ,No SS number and driving with out licenses, its not fair.They can murder US citizens and go back to there country,and they actually believe that the U.S would be nothing without them.

• Illegal immigrants break the law

I believe illegal immigrants should not be made into legal citizens because they broke the law by coming into the country illegally. Also, they take jobs from Americans. Yes many of these jobs aren't high paying but Americans are doing anything for a job to put food on the table. In addition, recent studies say that illegals cause more violence such as rape, drugs, and murder. Lastly, illegal aliens take American resources, I live in Illinois, and this state is broke, I see illegals using food stamps at my store and then they but alcohol 5 minutes later. How do I know they are illegal? They show a Mexican ID. I'm not racist I just want to protect my nation and if you want to let illegals in your hurting America.

• What about the people who do it the right way?

I don't think it's fair for illegal immigrants to just be handed citizenship, I came to America the right way and it cost my husband and I a lot of money and time not to mention stress of the unknown. Why should someone who is essentially committing a crime by being here be handed things on a silver platter?

• No, they shouldn't be made legal citizens.

Illegal immigrants have came here without a doubt illegally and in America, if you do something illegal you get put into jail or have to pay a fine. So they should have to come here with documents. Many of them have come into our country and take the jobs the we fought to have all the way back in 1776. So lets kick them out and take back our country.