• Why would you came into a country that use English as its first language, but you can't speak English?

That's just stupid, how would they communicate with locals if they don't? Maybe they're not planning to communicate to any, but who knows they might be. Maybe they have an acquaintance that speak English, but its still going to be troublesome to have to talk to a third person whenever they need to talk. But why don't they learn English anyway, English is also an international language, so it's worth the effort to learn in.

• Yes. Immigrants must learn English!

Yes. I think it is paramount that any immigrant that is allowed into the United States be required to learn the language. If an American goes over seas and they are not able to speak the native language of the country they are in, they are treated as though they don't exist. Our language should be mandatory in our country for all people.

• Shouldn't have to, but should be highly recommended.

No foreign immigrant should have to learn English just because they moved to America. This is like the melting pot theory. All of these different cultures being Americanized makes one horrible society. They should be told it's important to learn English, but they should not be forced to do so.

• English is a foreign language, too.

You don't speak American, you speak English. So if you speak the language of England, why should people be looked down upon for speaking their native languages? It is a true shame when language is lost. I grew up speaking my parents' native language at home, but began to forget it when I began to speak English more (at school, with American friends). Remember that the United States does not have an official language. Nobody should be forced to speak anything! Our neighborhoods are multicultural; embrace it!

• America doesn't have an official language

The United States doesn't have a declared language like in many countries. Immigrants are under no obligation to learn English or be forced to lose any part of their culture. America is a country of immigrants. My own family came to the United States from Russia and didn't learn English right away.