Should "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

• Unfair to atheist

"In God We Trust" shows the blatant discrimination and discrimination towards towards atheist. Why should we forced religion into everyone? US is not a religious country, it is a country of religious freedom. Live up for your roots.

It should be "In freedom we trust" or "Because of freedom we are". FREEDOM, okay! :)

• Hey wait a minute.

This is my question! I asked it a couple months ago! Why did this one get popular while mine fizzled into the dust? Oh well, I support this side, you got a problem comment under this. Thank you. I will now make the 50 word minimum requirement, which I hate,... Disappear!

• Yes, and many agree

During the 1950s, the "threat" of "communism" was a popular subject of national hate. In order to show "those godless communists" who was boss, we added the phrase "In god we trust" to our dollars in 1957. When a case was brought before the courts, it was dismissed on the grounds that the phrase was "ceremonial theism." (No, seriously: What the f*** is that?)

• It wasn't even original.

Never mind the fact that placing the phrase on our currency in the 1950s was unconstitutional government endorsement of religion, the fact is that it WAS just placed there due to the Red Scare.

Our nation's original motto, "E Pluribus Unum" ("From Many, One"), is both more in the spirit of the actual founding of the nation and not unconstitutional promotion of religion.

• Congress Shall Make no Law Respecting an Establishment of Religion

In a legal sense, references to the Judo-Christian god shows a favor to that belief system over any other. So what if the "majority" of people are Christian, simply because the population has a dominate religion (or multiple if you count the individual sects of Christianity practices in the United States), does not make it law of the land. The United States is not set up as a religious government, if that's what someone wishes for, they can move to a country such as Saudi Arabia or Iran and reside in a nation whose laws are derived from holy books. The United States is by no means a nation of Christianity as it has the values of "freedom of religion" instilled from many of the founders and the reason early settlers moves to the new world.

As for the money itself. "In God We Trust" was not placed on the money until the 1950's, as everyone feared that the "godless Commies" would take over the nation. This is the same reason the Pledge of Allegiance has the words, "Under God" added; simply out of fear.

I ask you this (if you feel it's needed to keep "God" on our money that is) if the deity's name on our paper currency were changed to say Allah, Zeus, or Thor, would you be in favor of keeping it there? Place the words on the money shows favor to Judo-Christian practices and beliefs, plain and simple, and if you haven't gotten the memo, the United States is founded on accepting and openness to diversity, favoring one persons religion at such a grand scale belittles the beliefs of others at an equal level.

• But of course.

I understand there was a rather unsuccessful lawsuit on this earlier. A real shame, although with the religiosity of America today (which is ironic, considering what the Founding Fathers had in mind); it didn't surprise me.

It is a violation of the Church and State, with "God" - which is to do with the Church being printed onto currency, which (last I checked) was to do with the state.

I can appreciate that a vast majority of Christians will - due to foundational bias fallacy - disagree, but I will graciously point you to John 2:16 to clear that up.

• It's money nothing with God to do

Yes it certainly should its a ridiculous thing to have inscribed on modern currency and a growing amount of Americans would disagree with the sentiments expressed. Incidentally if a nation is going to place there trust in the ultimate hide and seek champion all I can say is best of Irish luck with that .

• If EVERYBODY believed in God or the Christian God, then no, I don't think it should be removed.

However, this is not the case. I've always thought that a country should acknowledge all it's citizens. I, fortunately, live in a country where no ones religion is labeled or represented before anyone else's belief or unbelief. We actually don't just say separation of church and state. We actually practice it. Therefore it should be removed if you want equality and a country that represent everyone. I'm sure the God who's all good and just would want that too. I mean isn't that what he's suppose to stand for? I'd hope God would be proud of humankind for not ignoring other people or having forced to label each other.

But nope, his followers doesn't seem to think so, by reading some of the comments. And btw why should God be connected to money? This seems very godless.

• We is everybody

Not everybody believes in God (neither almost everybody), it is not true and should be removed. The same goes for buses and other formal places. It is okay in ads for Christianity, but only if you allow atheists have ads too. Islam can have ads, but not anything ISIS, just religion. Nothing brutal.

• Unconstitutional, and against Christian beliefs

I am a Christian (southern Baptist)

The constitution CLEARLY defines a separation between church and state. The state shall have nothing to do with the church, and the church shall have nothing to do with the state. Placing "In God we trust" does the following:
    - Favors "Abrahamic" religions (Christian, Muslim, Jewish)
    - Brings the church into federal affairs
    - Changes the U.S. from a non-religious country to a religious country

From a biblical viewpoint, read John 2:16
    It clearly states that God should not, and does not want to be part of political or worldly affairs. Putting that phrase on our money is like a hooker wearing a crucifix on her neck. It's just wrong because money is of the world, like hookers. God does not want to be on our money. God does not want to be on a hooker who obviously doesn't care about him.

Sure, as a Christian, it's rather nice having MY God on money, but I would be pretty upset if it said "In Vishnu we trust", so I don't expect people of other religions to accept MY God on THEIR money.

• Of course not.

It is a nod to our past. We are a Christian country. God Bless the United States of America, God Bless Tennessee, Go Vols!
    O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
    O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
    Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
    What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
    As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
    Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
    In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
    'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! Long may it wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country, should leave us no more?
    Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
    No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
    Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

• We All Have Faith

I won't babble on about this one: we all have faith. We have it in God, we have it in the solidity of objects around us, we have it in our friends and family and fellow men, and we have it in the validity of the free market enterprise. Where better to find a statement of faith, one that is firmly rooted in the history of the United States no less, than on the dollar that keeps us praying, wishing, and hoping for more? If you're an American and you dream the American Dream, then I just don't see how you could say "Yes."

• Religion is part of our culture.

The majority of the people in the U.S, are relgious, so why shouldn't we have that quote on our currency? It is saying that when all else fails, and we fall and collapse as a country, that we will trust in God to decide our fate, and I hope that when that time comes, and it most certainly will, that all who reside in this wonderful country will trust in God.

• NO! That would be stupid...

Its tradition. Why change something if it doesn't hurt anyone? I understand where people are coming from when they so no because they don't believe in God, but thats no reason to change history. Unless it said something offensive or unreasonable whats the big deal? People just need to suck it up and deal with it because it fine the way it is.

• It is HISTORY!!!!

The baseline of America is European Settlers who needed to move. The European background is full of Christians and Jews who as a matter of fact both believe in God. Why on earth would we take away the unchangeable history of one of the greatest and most well known countries ever- America.

• The reason God made this country rich is, people began putting their complete trust in Him! BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO PUT THEIR TRUST IN HIM!

God has blessed this country greatly! One of our founding fathers, George Washington, prayed day and night to God. He also stated that God must be first in our country. If you look around your own neighborhood and city, you can very well see the results of abundant supply! Thanks!

• Sometimes Change Itself is Bad

The best reason to remove the words is that the message is false, since many Americans think belief in God unjustified. But an unfortunately large number of those who do believe would interpret removing the message as an official declaration by the United States government that their belief is nonsense. That would not be true, but there is little reason to make them think so. Whether belief is good or bad, it seems unlikely that seeing that message on currency has turned anyone into a believer who was not previously inclined to be so.

• What's the harm?

The phrase "In God We Trust" is a law that was passed in a Joint Resolution by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by President Dwight Eisenhower. So I ask you atheists and agnostics this, has the four word phrase killed anyone?

"I find your lack of faith disturbing", Darth Vader

• Put your big boy/girl pants on

Do we really have to get EVERYTHING with a slight mention of God removed? How childish! Suck it up. There are other religious symbols out there I hear none of you arguing over. What? Are we going to stop people fr saying God on TV? Radio? When the motto was implemented, the majority of people wanted "In God We Trust." It's our national motto, and if you prefer a more secular country, please buy a ticket to China and see how it goes there instead of trying to remove a part of America's history. Honestly, how often do you even notice it on your money? Or do non-believers inspect every aspect of it? Sure, I probably would not like "In Allah We Trust" but this was something we are founded on and it's a part of our history. I don't see why some of you are acting like its forced upon you. Seriously it's not affecting how you live or anything. Also, it would be offensive to those who do believe, but you would be fine with that wouldn't you? See what you fail to realize is that you are trying to take away the religious liberty of others, trying to put your secular dogmas to fit your ways and needs. I think atheists can leave a few things alone. I mean are you going to sue EVERYTHING that mentions anything religious? That would be a communist country (like China) and nobody would have any freedom.

Posted by: CJM
  • Ha, I don't think so.

Look, there is already a clear separation between church and state. It's not like having it on there gives churches any power. It's merely an acknowledgement of the United States past, which is undeniably Christian. Taking it off would merely be trying to forget our past and shun a culture that was (and is) very much a part of the United States.