Should inappropriate dress be grounds for rape?

Asked by: Bitschi
  • Yes for the following reasons

First of all I would like to note out something. I would like to ask everyone reading this to imagine your work setting or school setting. What kind of women generally attract the most attention? (not to be mean) but is it the unattractive ones, or the ones who go out flashing their bodies and putting themselves out there for everyone to see? Those are the ones that attract the most attention and the ones most men will glare at. Therefore it stands to reason that they are more of a target and more likely to get raped because they choose to dress in that manor.

It's in a mans biology to be attracted to the female anatomy, and when you show it - they are going to look, and not think about much else. I mean lets face it ladies, do you honestly put on those short shorts and spaghetti straps to AVOID attention? And one of the things that angers me the most is when a women says something like "i want to find a man who loves me for my brain, not my boobs" and then they wear a revealing spaghetti strap shirt that shows off half of their chest.

One of the most cliche sayings today is "don't judge someone by what they look/dress like" But in reality that is simply not true. People make a first impression on you when they look at they way you dress. Do you honestly expect to get a job by walking into an interview half naked? No. The boss is looking for someone professional and professionally dressed. Different scenario, would you rather walk down a path with someone who sags their pants and has gold plated teeth? Or would you feel much safer traveling down a path with a business man/women in a suit and tie? One of the things my father always told me was "how you dress is how you present yourself to the world" the dress is the individual objectifying themselves and demanding less respect not more. You will be treated in the manor in which you dress. Now obviously women don't go out of their way to get raped. But if they appeal to a mans sexual interest in the way they dress, it is more likely that they will get raped.

• Why is this an issue?

Of course it is appropriate grounds for rape! How else will we teach these women to dress properly? Inappropriate dress is an invitation to rape, and if it is an invitation then it is voluntary, and if it is voluntary it isn't rape. It's just common sense.

Relevant: http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=8hC0Ng_ajpY

Also, I do sincerely hope that this is not a serious question. If it is, then any remaining faith I had in humanity has now died.

• Same women excuse

I'm going to prove a point here. If I (a man) goes to Compton east side LA and wave my money around for my own pleasure. (You say you dress for your own pleasure) I'm going to get mugged. But yet i wasn't inviting in anyone to do that!! So you guys can't use that as an argument.

• Rape cannot stop, but can be multiplied or subtract

Rape existed, a thousands of years ago. Dramatically multiplied by women's immodest fashion, getting more sexually attractive by time, than a naked body. USA was the #1 in rape case, and the source of immodest clothes around the world. I think, in the 17th century USA, rape cases was less than a hundred, but now it's millions. People in the past have more fear than now, because pleasures was on a higher level, more elegant material things less fear in hell, more sexually attractive (than the naked ones) more sexual pleasure less fear in consequences. When we upgrade its hard to downgrade for good. Sexual pleasures have levels from just looking into raping a highly sexual attractive woman.

In Saudi Arabia, rape exists but very low. Doesn't multiply by time because women have strict dress codes and rape is punishable by death. They retain their culture for peace.
    But we change our culture for worst.

But we change our culture for worst.

• Guys, inch of skin, ravenous beasts, you know how it goes...

Women wearing horrifically bad clothes cause the men to have no choice but to rip them off to save their eyes.
    Women wearing revealing clothes are all but saying "Hey, look at this piece of meat here. Come on!"
    Guys, being guys, will indeed come on, and their lust-crazed minds will not hear the "Wait, I was only kidding-- Aieeeeee!" part.

• Sorry, rape is never justified.

I've thought about this. And no. I'm sorry. Women can wear flashy clothing / revealing clothing which may signify she's a sexual person, but it doesn't mean she'll have sex with YOU. Sorry buddy, if you mistake what a woman's wearing for her desire for sex with you, then you need to re-evaluate your own self-centered perception.

In other words, sure it can be a distraction; hell, I even believe women shouldn't wear certain piece of clothing simply because I, as a male, can't work out in the gym when women dress up in revealing clothing. But raping? No, that doesn't cross my mind. While women shouldn't be allowed the total freedom to wear anything they want, I vehemently deny clothing to be any sort of justification for rape.

Maybe the woman enjoys her body? Maybe she enjoys flaunting it in front of a man? I'll never know. Maybe she's just a sexual person? But even so, there is a still a line we can't cross: which is the violation of that person's most prized possession: their body. She may enjoy sex. Just not with you. You still need to respect that.

• Rape is a heinous crime which will never have grounds

If this is the case then please do explain why kids at a mere age of 5 and 6 get raped. Do they wear "provocative" clothing that attract men? There is no cause for rape to happen. Men who have raped women are mentally unsound people. Rape is inhuman and you cannot give a reason to justify this heinous crime. So do not blame women's clothing for rape, blame your mentality. Even fully clad women or women wearing burquas get raped. What is your excuse for that? Women should have the right to wear whatever they feel like. Oh and if men are at liberty wear shorts, why not women?

• This is absolutely ridiculous.

I shouldn't even have to explain myself here. Why would anyone ever think rape is okay? But because I have to "explain my stance" I will make a point. Women have been dealing with rape for centuries. Do you know how women used to dress back then? Layers and layers of clothing typically, yet some still got raped. No one can now say that wearing revealing clothes make rape justifiable.

And as a final note: rape is never ever justified. Never.

• This is a stupid question

There's no grounds for rape.

I would stop there but the supporting argument has to be a minimum of 50 words so just to reiterate:

There's no grounds for rape.
    There's no grounds for rape.
    There's no grounds for rape.
    There's no grounds for rape.
    There's no grounds for rape.

• You can't actually be serious?

There aren't any 'grounds' for rape; it is *always* wrong. That's like asking if giving someone a dirty look should be 'grounds' for aggravated assault, or manslaughter; no, it's still wrong to do that, and it is still more than reasonable to expect people to not do so if given a dirty look, and it's still no more justified than if they hadn't given you a dirty look. By this logic, all people should wear full body and facial coverings to deter rape, and should only leave their house when it is an absolute physical or financial necessity. That's a pathetic notion.

Being attracted to someone, and not being able to have consensual intercourse with them, does not then mean that you are 'justified' in trying to have non-consensual intercourse with them. How attracted you are is irrelevant; you are not a mindless single-celled organism, you are a thinking person. Being attracted to someone does not mean that you must have sex with that person. The entire point of dressing provocatively is to attract a willing partner for consensual intercourse; that doesn't mean that having sex with a person so dressed, when they are completely blind drunk and thus unable to give meaningful consent, or violently assaulting that person to force intercourse, is 'okay'. There is a world of difference between wanting to have consensual intercourse, and being raped. People who think this is 'justification' for rape are idiots or sociopaths.

• There is no justification for rape.

In the past, long big dresses and petticoats didn't stop rapists. Trousers don't stop rapists. Not even nun habits stop rapists.

Saying that a short skirt or anything similar made someone rape someone else puts the blame, once again, on a victim. Of course, that's not new in our society, but that doesn't mean it's right either. Humans are not sharks, relying only on instinct to eat and reproduce. Humans are capable of rational thought, self-control, and basic human decency. If people really can't control themselves if there's a bit of cleavage or some nice legs or whatever, sort them out. Make them wear something that means they can't rape someone when they go out in public (chastisty belts, anyone?) Make them wear blinkers like people do with horses or evrn blindfolds, then they won't be a danger to any potential victims. Don't blame someone for what they wore; blame the rapist who didn't exercise that one thing being a human gives you; self control.

Just because a bank teller is counting money in front of you, that doesn't mean you can have it. Just because someone is cooking food in front of you, that doesn't mean you can eat it. Just because someone is wearing a certain outfit or is even naked in front of you, that doesn't entitle you to have sex with them.

Nothing justifies rape. Not clothes, not drinks consumed, not flirting, and certainly not a supposed lack of control.

• Oblviously it isn't.

A man will rape anyone. Sure, a woman in a showy outfit might be a bit more obvious as a choice, but no. I know a girl who was raped at 6. Do you think her parents would let her out of the house in something showy at that age? No. She was wearing a nightgown. Not at all see through and it went down to her feet. Now try to tell me her outfit was what made her get raped.

• Women shouldn't be afraid to walk around while wearing what they want to wear

Look I'm gonna get my freaking point across. THERE IS NO GROUND FOR RAPE. Rape is a violation of both the mind and the brain due to the fact women will be hurt emotionally, physically, and mentally from this. They could be forced to father this person's child. All because they wore 'inappropriate dress'. I myself dress appropriately but come on! Are we really debating on whether women can wear what they want to? Men need to be taught to control themselves because if women are comfortable with what they wear they should not have to be scared of walking down alleyways because of rapists. If Men can't control themselves then those who have shown that behavior should have to wear blinkers as someone else said. Don't blame the victim blame the rapist.

• You're kidding, right?

In places in the world where it is the social norm for women to be covered head to to toe, women still get raped. I'm not saying that women should walk around wearing nothing, I'm just saying they shouldn't get raped. It's sad that this is the world we live in.

BlatantSockPuppet says2015-04-28T17:53:10.930
I like rape.
clementine1030 says2016-04-09T20:16:09.147
People are saying it's okay cause her clothes "provoked them." If so, then I should be allowed to kill you since your stupidity provoked me. See where I am coming from?