• Youre all nuts

If youre against Americans having guns you must have some serious problems. If the government was to change the law and take away all guns--think about it, we the U.S citizens would be defenseless against other nations and even our own government if they were to ever turn on us. If an intruder broke into your house and killed say your kids or even a sibling wouldnt you want a gun to protect yourself or another family member? I'm pretty sure you wouldnt just sit there in lala land while someone was shooting up your house so good luck with that.

• Guns are not the threat, people are

I have yet to see a firearm jump up and shoot anyone! There is always a person behind the firearm doing the deed, not the firearm. Today’s society has no fear of the law or the penalties that will follow if they commit a violent crime. A person committing a violent crime knows he may get life on prison or maybe even a death penalty, but they also know they will die of old age instead of being executed. Look at the prisons in other countries! Ours are like resorts compared to the. Check out Russia's Max security prisons. The facts show that if firearms are taken from honest people the criminals will still get their hands on them. Watch the news because they are smuggled in from Mexico every day. Instead of trying to ban an object that is harmless by itself why not fix the real problem which is the lack of security. Very few schools have a security program in place. Security guards walk through metal detectors and closed campuses would have prevented this from happening. Another area to blame is the media because it plasters these events across every news paper and TV screen on the planet but never give the actual facts. First thing a news station does in go on the air only minutes after the tragedy has happened and start giving false facts. Even the police need a few days to gather all the facts so how can anyone believe the media has got all the facts that quick? An example is this last shooting at the elementary school. The media has been spreading the word how the gunman was armed with two pistols and an assault rifle when the truth is he never even removed the assault rifle from the truck of his car, he was armed with two pistols only, no rifle. Another is that his mother provided the firearms, if you call being killed and having your firearms stolen then I guess she did provide them. I collect firearms and to some this makes me an evil person, even though none of my firearms have ever killed anyone. The only time I have been put in a situation where I had to take a life was in the military and even though it was a life or death situation for me I still felt guilt for having to do what I did. I keep my firearms in gun safes and only me and my wife know the combination. Someone could come in and steal the safes but by the time they get them open they will have destroyed most of the contents and wasted a lot of time. I am totally against banning firearms but am for stricter laws such as how the firearms are stored, background checks and stiffer penalties for those who commit crimes. Like I said fix the problem which is humans not firearms. If firearms are taken from the honest person only criminals will have them. Drugs are illegal and has it stopped them? Who still gets their hands on them? Did prohibition stop alcohol? Who controlled all the alcohol back them? Criminals will always find a way because it is the person not the item they use. People can panic and have guns banned instead of fixing the actual problem but then they have done nothing except remove one of our rights. Now for the ones shouting it shouldn’t be our right to own firearms and this right should be removed. It strikes me as funny that the same ones wanting to remove this right are the same ones crying that the government has violated their rights when they put TSA into place! They claim their 4th amendment is being violated but yet they want us to give up our 2nd amendment. WTH? Get off your pompous ass and fix the problem. Teach your kids right from wrong, stop letting the TV be a babysitter, stop letting your kids watch movies and play games rated for adults when they are only 10, If you own firearms teach your kids to respect them and understand the dangers that can come with them, when you kids get out of line punish them and give the teachers the power to punish them, teach your kids the value of life, teach them good morals, above all spend time with them and be involved in their lives and know what they are doing. I can go on and on but I'm sure the anti gun crowd will have an excuse to shoot down every comment; it's because they are so afraid of guns that they will always stay closed minded. Until America goes back to the traditions of actually "raising" our kids nothing will be fixed. How many of these nut cases grew up in a house where the parents showed their love for their kids? Where they actually sat down together for dinner and talked about their day? Where they spent time being a part of their kid’s lives? It's time to put morals and values back into he American family not strip our rights.

• I believe that every American has the right to bear arms.

First, I would like to state that our country was founded on just a few rights; the right to bear arms was one of the first. In America, we are supposed to be in the land of the free. To be free is to be able to bear arms, as well as free speech. I believe we never should just give away the rights that our four fathers fought so hard to receive.

Posted by: takenbywayne
  • It is a right given to us by the Constitution.

As Americans it is our given right by our founding fathers that we be allowed to bear arms. I believe that the founding fathers knew what they were thinking and talking about when they wrote the Constitution. They believed that we as Americans could handle such a responsibility. Individuals should have the right to bear arms of any sort (excluding RPGs and other explosives) because our founding fathers found it important that we be able to protect ourselves. I am an American and hopefully my voice will heard and recognized. We should not keep guns away from good Americans but rather out of the hands of the mentally insane. I think that we should do better background checks when an individual decides to buy a firearm especially an assault rifle like the AR-15. If a person wishes to do harm to another individual then that person will find other ways to deal that harm. Getting rid of guns will not help America, it would make us weaker. I heard a quote from a Japanese General during WWII. He was asked by one of his men why the Japanese military is not going to invade America (this was shortly after Pearl Harbor). The General said "It would be unwise to make an attack on American soul, because behind every blade of grass would be fifty guns." He is referring to the American 2nd amendment. The right for a civilian to bear arms and the right to form militia. Might I say that was a wise move on the Generals part. In conclusion to this rant, I believe heavily that the American people should be allowed to protect themselves using firearms no matter what kind.

• Bear arms is not for protection

The right to bear arms is not for personal protection of robbers and murderers and even hunting. This amendment was created for the people in case of the need to over throw the government. Not because your friend got shot, and is in the hospital, so you want avenge him.

• It is a RIGHT commanded by God himself.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed to us in the bill of rights, written because God himself has made the command to protect oneself and family and neighbors. Please read your Bible, and pray. You will be given the answer that you seek. And take comfort knowing that as individuals you have the GOD GIVEN RIGHT to protect your own lives, freedoms, possessions, and way of life, and deter tyrannical governments. A man did not give me this right, God did!

• Defense for the people

The one thing weapons are used for are for defense. Weapons have helped our nation grow! It is ridiculous to say that guns kill people. People kill people, as they are the ones who pull the trigger!
    I can understand with all of the violence going around and shootings but us citizens should not be punished for it! Those are individuals, they are not a herd. People don't get the urge to go shoot a place up. That's plain silly, for more than half the population is indeed sane. Also, if we didn't have weapons, more people would be dead than alive right now.

• It is our RIGHT not a PRIVILEGE

It has been our right since the Constitution of the United States of America. the government should not be able to tell us no, on anything for that matter from transfat to fire arms. It is OUR right to make these decisions for our-self. the government works FOR US, not the other way around.

• Yes

Constitutional Right, no more words are needed. I am only writing more because its a 50 character minimum. It is the right for an unjust and corrupt government and we have both of those. Without the right to bear arms more crimes will be committed the government will cease all control of the citizens. WE WILL ALL be at the mercy of the dictator in charge. Because we no longer have a leader in our country steering us in the right direction we have a dictator.

• Other countries

I seem to remember a few years back in Scotland another school shooting. The janitor brought a gun and started killing students also....wait a minute. Isn't it illegal to own a fire arm in Britain (another socialist government)? How did this shooting happen? No one is supposed to own a fire arm. And some states with forms of gun control still have high homicide rates due to the fact that, as many of my peers have stated, only the criminals carry guns. The main reason for that is they make it far too difficult to obtain them legally. If we can't get rid of drugs, how do you think we'll get rid of guns?

• Guns are weapons created for killing & don't belong in general public!

The 2nd highest way criminals obtain a gun is by stealing from licensed gun owners.
    Clearly some gun owners feel no concern of repercussion for failing to ensure these weapons are kept secure. Which is proof out gun laws are way to loose with way to minor punishment for not taking it seriously & keeping them secure.
    The general public is obviously not able to keep such dangerous items secure or it wouldn't be the 2nd highest way they are obtained.
    A gun is a cowards weapon & if he can't get a gun he may not have the nerve to use a knife which is a much closer form of combat. He's certainly not running into a school & stabbing 20 kids to death. Many more of those kids would have lived in that scenario.
    Even if we save as little as 10 lives a year is that not worth it? What if you are one of the 10. Or your child?

• It kills too many people

Guns kill too many people just read history in Norway at least 80 innocent people where killed as a result of a gun. In 1996 there was a school in Dunblane which killed 16 children and not to mention the school called Sandy Hook which killed 27 children all because of some mad man with a gun.
    It may be fair to say that America is a free country and you may be aloud to own a gun but think about 1000s of innocent people who have died because of it.

• Look at all the other countries

The U.K. regulated its gun distribution and there has been significant decrease in gun violence. I realize guns don't shoot themselves its the people holding the gun that need to be regulated but does the same concept go for people and their cigarettes? Cigarettes aren't poisoning peoples' lungs all by themselves but they're on the market and there for people to do what they please with them.

• Who Ever Posted this is an IDIOT!

Youre all nuts

If we got rid of guns the idiot "killing" your siblings wouldn't have a gun.

• It's Obvious. Open Your Eyes.

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” So reads the Second Amendment to the Constitution. At the time these words were written, terms like “well regulated militia” and “to keep and bear arms” were reasonably clear, but today, their implications are hotly contested. It is not clearly stated that bearing arms is an individual right, unlike many other rights we have as individuals. However it is hard to tie this into the happenings of today's society. The second amendment was written when the most dangerous weapon was a single-shot musket with powder and a ramming rod. Arms today include rapid-fire assault rifles. Private rights have always been balanced by public safety. Just remember this, the day before the school shootings the shooters were just Americans with the right to bear arms. The right to bear arms refers to the firearms of the period, single shot, muzzle loading, black powder rifles and pistols. You want to own one of those for home protection, hunting and as part of an organized militia? I support you 100%! If you want to own any modern firearms and you're not in the active military, you have no right.

• No to guns!

Some of the arguments for guns are ridiculous. Your government is going to rise against you? Doubt it. How many people have protected themselves from a terrorist? Not really a concern for the average American. You say how can you believe in God. But then you call your "creators" all mighty and that their ideas were all good. That amendment is stuck in the past. Time to really crack down on gun control, make it really impossible for criminals to get guns, fix the social issues that lead to a life of crime and hardship, treat mentally ill people properly (I mean treatment, not killing). Fix your country instead of focusing on your individual rights. Glad I don't live in the states. Even with all your guns for "protection" I feel kind of uncomfortable knowing that everyone has the ability to shoot me.

• Arming the bad guys!

Arming the bad guys! I can't believe how dumb you Americans are! Just remember this, the day before the school shootings the shooters were just Americans with the right to bear arms! Your rights arm the bad guys!!! They may not have used their own guns but it doesn't make any difference!

• The Constitution is outdated, and privately owned guns are unnecessary.

Eight out of ten Americans are retards. The Batman killings were an example of just how easy it was for someone to access weapons and ammunition. The assailant legally bought the AR-15 [a high powered assault rifle capable of firing 60 rounds per minute], two 40-caliber Glock handguns and a 12-gauge Remington shotgun at local gun shops. He’d already purchased 3,000 rounds of ammunition for the rifle, 3,000 for the Glocks and 300 for the shotgun on the Internet. This just shows how easy it is for anyone to buy weapons and ammunition in America, and how easy it is for anyone to get their hands on a machine designed for ending real human lives with real families. This is a jaw-dropping, not to mention pants-browning statistic, at the sheer ease at which people can access these kind of tools legally, with no question as to why they need them.

• No to guns!

Posted by: Hut
  • Right to Protect, But Not Kill

We should have the right to defend ourselves and hunt for food. Killing for sport, unless the species is over-populated, should not be allowed. Killing humans should not be protected. The country should develop a weapon that can temporarily paralyze without death in situations where fatal protection is needed.

Anonymous says2013-03-22T16:10:51.430
On why civilians need guns for self defense FROM government, why the government should not have a "monopoly on violence/force"

COPS and to a lesser extent soldiers are the primary killers of unarmed citizens in the last 100 years........ so letting them have guns while disarming everyone else will simply yield more of the same. There is a 7:1 ratio of citizens (not soldiers) killed by their OWN government than of people (citizens, soldiers, anyone) killed in ALL WARS COMBINED. Goverments kill people with guns, they are the cause of "gun death" and "gun crime", even if you utterly ignore wars, which they ALSO cause.

If you want to disarm someone disarm them. If you want to arm victims ensure the people (non cop, non soldier) are armed.
SOURCE HERE
http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM
http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/NOTE1.HTM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_Rummel
(you can also buy his books)

also see http://reason.com/archives/2006/10/20/deadly-disarmament
http://www.smallarmssurveysudan.org/fileadmin/docs/working-papers/HSBA-WP-11-Jonglei-violence.pdf
songmin1 says2014-01-18T04:52:56.047
What's the purpose of a gun whether it's armed by a lunatic or a well trained professional? That's right, to kill someone or something. Sure, a scissor can kill or a baseball bat too but its purpose in life is for other uses not to take a soul.
ladiesman says2014-06-08T23:56:02.107
I think the "right" to bear arms is out of the question. What matters is how you intend to use a gun if you possess one.
Zebdemption says2015-03-11T19:24:43.997
Anyone else notice a direct link between the quality of argument and vote? The yes voters seem to have much poorer argumentative skills than the no voters