Should individuals who are diagnosed with anger management and/or rage disorders be protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act if they have a violent outburst at work?

• Yes, they should be protected

Especially if they are currently enrolled in a program or being treated by a doctor for it. This means that they have identified the problem and are taking ownership of the problem. This could also mean that competent authority, like courts, have identified a problem and mandated treatment for said problem. Either way, the problem has been identified and treatment has been initiated. My point is compounded if the employee informs his management about the problem and treatment.

• Yes, they should be protected

The sole reason I would want to have them covered is that everybody has a bad day. They should be forgiven for their burst of anger. They might even have a real disorder or need counseling. If the bursts of anger are frequent enough, I think a mandated psychological interview should be done.

• Yes, I think individuals who are diagnosed with anger management or rage disorders should be protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act at work.

Workplaces must abide by the Americas with Disabilities Act which provides legal protection for these people, I think in general many of these people with this disability can control it with medication and counseling but overall I think it should be tolerated and respected in the workplace as a legitimate disability.

• No they should not.

If an individual is diagnosed with anger management issues, they should be in charge of controlling that issue. If they are not able to control themselves in a situation at work, they should not be active in that workplace. Plain and simple, they may not have a say in whether or not they have this issue, but they are solely responsible for controlling it.

• You are responsible for your actions

I disagree with the idea that a person can act a certain way and blame that on a condition. Not holding people responsible for their actions is whole wrong. Even if you have anger issues you are still obligated to remove yourself from the situation and calm yourself. The fact that some people wish to blame there actions on others or a condition means they don't take responsibility for their actions.

• No They Shouldn't

I do not believe individuals diagnosed with anger management and/or rage disorders, should be protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act, especially if they have a violent outburst at work. Anger management or rage issues are something that negatively impact all parts of a persons social life, secondly it could easily put a person in a position where they aren't in an appropriate frame of mind to work. Other employees and employers should not feel the need to become the victim of someone with anger/rage issues because they are supported by an act of law.