Should it be a legal requirement for citizens to vote in elections?

• Is it a Democracy?

How can it be that the United States of America, a DEMOCRATIC republic, can even elect a president without the majority actually voting? The fact of the matter is that you cannot have a democratic republic if there is no democracy. Also, the results will be more accurate with all of the population voting rather than less than half of eligible voters. It is your civic duty to vote just as it is to pay taxes or jury duty. And if the candidate that you wanted to win was not elected, I will say to you, "Maybe you should've voted."

• All citizens should most definetly be required to vote

Citizens should be required to vote because it would help our country. The more votes we get, the more sure we are in better hands. If you complain and you didn't even vote, you don't have a right to complain. Some say they don't even care about elections. You don't care who's running your country?

• Our duty as Americans

We are not soviets. We are not communist. We are Americans. It is are duty to vote. If we do not vote will definitely lose that right. And if we lose that right, then we will become communist by the force of the government we didn't choose to be in office.

• People do not understand what a privilege it is to be able to vote.

Coming from a country where I was not given the right to vote, I now live in Australia where I have to vote by law. I feel that making every citizen vote is good because otherwise you don't get an accurate show of what people really think. I always hear so many people complaining about the president, but often those same people chose not to vote.

• Post-democracy?

I´m an Austrian citizen and I love the U.S. because of its values and after my university degree in quantum physics I will move there because America is simply the best physics country, by far. Let me repeat I love the U.S. BUT I think it is a critical sign that such things like the PATRIOT act are passed without any recognition of the people. The right of privacy is a right granted by the constitution, and yes I have read it! The peoples interest in politics has to be spurred or the country´s democracy will experience a black Friday. Have any of you seen V for Vendetta or read 1986 written by George Orwell? It is exactly like this. Fear mixed up with no-interest will lead to such a scenario if we don´t do anything. The public has to control politics. Please U.S. citizens think more critically!

• I think that more people

should vote but not by force because that would make more people not want to vote. I am some what neutral about this because people need to vote and not be lazy, but they should have their say on what they do voting wise. Also some people don't have a way to get to their voting place unlike others that have cars. So, it is a yes and a no for me.

• VoteUndecided

Yes, BUT there should be an "I have no opinion" option. That way people who truly want to opt out of choosing any political position still have the right to not participate. Their presence is required on voting day, but they don't have to make any decision about the election. This way, NO ONE can threaten to obstruct voters at the polls as everyone needs to be accounted for.

• All citizens should be required to vote because this would give a more accurate result on the feelings of all citizens in an election.

It is a privilege to vote and I think all citizens should be legally required to vote. A lot of the time, the people who gripe the loudest did not even take the time to vote. If every citizen voted, we would get a more accurate result from our elections. If every citizen voted, the influence of some strong groups might be diluted so that the populace is better represented.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • Everybody must vote in elections to choose better candidate.

Normally, in elections about 65% to 70% of the votes are only recorded. From that, the candidate is selected. The remaining citizens are not willing to vote, or if their names may not be appear in the voter's list it should be corrected by the election commission. The election commission should act independently. The election commission should ensure 100% polling during every election. Then only the right candidate can be selected. Otherwise the political party members vote more often and the winner will not accurately represent the will of the people.

Posted by: 53lfDius
  • People Should Vote! Not By Forcing Them.

In my opinion people should vote to make a difference in the economy. I believe that they should not be forced or even they might just guess about that, yet we should VOTE. However, the elections should not be on tuesdays or any working days. Also, people should have atleast some sort of background knowledge of the candidate. I believe that if you don't like any of 'em, you should not vote. Well, it's better that you still vote for the most accurate candidate that you think you would have vote by his background knowledge too. If you still dont wanna vote, its totally fine, but remember do not blame to the people who voted for a candidate that you didnt like at all and wins. Its your fault, your vote could have make a difference. For example, saving a dollar each day can end up to 30 dollars a month, the same way you vote and you gave a dollar (vote) to the candidate, at the ends they'll see who's gonna have more and the winner take all...

• People should not be forced to vote.

Making someone vote is a violation of liberty. If you do not want to, you shouldn't be forced to. Sometimes people may not like the candidates and that person should not vote, for he or she thinks there is no one fit to win the election. These people have their own rights.

• NO! It wouldn't be accurate!

Many people say that voting would give you a more accurate election, but you guys are completely wrong. Forcing people to vote would make some citizens (that already vote) mad that they wouldn't even watch the debates, they would just guess. The people that didn't vote would still be lazy and might just go with their friends or spouses choice. Voting is NOT about just choosing a random person. It's about choosing a great leader to help us! It's just not right.

• If We The People Are A Nation We Should Not Be Forced To Vote,

We Are A Democracy , We Have Rights , If Are Voice Matters So Shouldn't Are Say In Not Wanting To Vote. If The Goverment Wants Are Say Then Why Don't They Listen When We Say No. Dont Care Dont Vote. Some Dont Know Any Thing About Voting So To Make It Easy We Save Are Time And We Dont Vote.

• No, it should not be a requirement, because everyone has free will.

People are free to do whatever they want, within the boundaries of the law. I don't think anyone has the right to tell someone they have to vote. If people don't want to vote, do you really just want them to blindly go and mark the ballots as quickly as possible, just to get it over with? I would much rather the people who are serious, the people who do their homework, be the ones casting the votes. There are too many important things on the ballots, and I don't want my future in the hands of the junkie down the street.

Posted by: 5h4bbyHaIey
  • No

Each person should be able to have the choice. A lot of people like to remain neutral and the electoral college ultimately has the final say. Therefore requiring all citizens to vote would just be inciting some new ignorance into the polls because not everyone is educated enough to make a decision.

• Restricts Freedom of Speech

Many people would say that compulsory voting supports our democratic lifestyle. But in actuality, it only restricts our first amendment allowing freedom of speech. You see, freedom of speech does not only include your choice to speak, but also your choice to not speak at all. The whole meaning of "The government shall be for the people, of the people, and by the people" will lose its meaning if people are forced to exercise their right to vote. But even then it wouldn't be a right, but a must. People who say that compulsory voting supports our democracy should realize that democracy serves freedom, not the other way around.

• Act or watch?

To act or to watch? There is democracy in that. We have the choice to state our opinions or to keep them to ourselves. Simply because an opportunity sits in front of someone does not mean that person MUST be required to grasp it. Taking advantage of voting is a choice. If we were to make voting compulsory it would be taking away agency. You can not be forced to be interested in football, chess, or cooking. So, how could we ever force interest in politics to our citizens? Those who choose to not pay attention to elections will be no more interested when it becomes required. It will simply be another paper to fill out and they may select at random, or base their vote on a Disney channel commercial ;) Voting was never meant to be a legal requirement. Making it required only bases our next leader on impulse and ignorance. I personally will be voting, but would not want my fellow citizens to unwilling cast a vote.

• Wrong use of power!

The government is supposed to use their power to protect people from hurting or harming others, or infringing on their rights by forcefully talking them. That is why laws are okay for the government to make. However, the government cant make us brush our teeth, because that would be infringing on our rights. Therefore, the government should not be able to make us vote because it is not hurting or harming themselves or others.

• No they should not

Voting is something that people should be doing because they want to, not because they are being forced to. We live in a democracy and people should have the liberty to choose if the want to vote. You are violating someone's liberty by making them do something they do not want to do.

• ABSOLUTELY not. It's unjust.

As a citizen of Australia (a country that currently has an 'enroll to vote' or compulsory voting system, allow me to assure you that this is nothing more than an injustice, for a variety of reasons.

The first and foremost reason that not every citizen should legally have to vote lies in the fact that not every citizen actually takes an interest in parliament. Why should somebody who has no interest or knowledge about the political process, party policies or election promises have a say in who runs a country? The result is thousands of people voting for fictional characters every year, and HUNDREDS of thousands 'voting in the dark', as they don't understand the difference between parties and candidates.

Next, you must consider that there are those who entirely oppose democracy, and do not wish to influence or take part in a system that they consider to be corrupt or flawed. To be against democracy is equal in our society to being 'evil', but nothing could be further from the truth. To support an alternative form of government is quite common, and many of these alternatives do NOT agree with required voting.

Democracy is indeed a system under which 'all citizens participate equally', but to use that as an argument against free voting is utterly foolish. Democracy was put in place so that all members of society would have equal RIGHTS, not equal input. Whether or not an individual chooses to take ADVANTAGE of their rights is entirely up to them, and cannot be legally enforced by any party.

Voting should be up to those with the intelligence, knowledge and dedication to vote even though they know it's not a legal requirement. These people will not vote for fictional characters, they will have thought through their options before entering the booth and ultimately will CARE about the outcome of an election. Thank you for reading, and in the unlikely event that you disagree with even a word of my argument, please re-read from the beginning. That should fix you up.