Should Jehovah's Witnesses be allowed to refuse medical treatment?

• Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses should be allowed to refuse medical treatment.

Jehovah witnesses believe you should not put another person's blood in yours. I can understand that. However, when it comes to a child, and that child is sick or in danger, I think the choice should not be the parents, but the doctors. I have many friends whom are Jehovah Witnesses and they accept medical attention. As far as I know, they only turn it away when blood from another person is introduced.

• EVERYONE has the freedom to choose their medical treatment...

..Not just Jehovah's Witnesses. In fact, Jehovah's Witnesses, as an organization, encourage medical treatment. If the question is asked in regards to their view on blood transfusions, my Father, who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses, just had open heart surgery - a 6-way bypass - without any blood! Not a drop. Also, he had no complications and the doctor who performed the surgery said he prefers to not use blood because the recovery rate is much faster. There are many alternatives to blood transfusions that are safer and more effective.

If it is legal for a woman to make the decision to kill an unborn child (abortion), why would there ever be any question about someone's choice of medical attention?

As for the issue of blood transfusions... Jehovah's Witnesses look for the best medical treatment available. As seen in the statement from my Father's heart surgeon above, and found in many medical journals, the best medical treatment would be using non-blood alternatives, which are completely acceptable by Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Absolutely! Why should any other human make that choice for them.

It is a free choice that even God allows. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden were free to choose to obey or disobey the clear direction of God. Sadly, they made the wrong choice. Nevertheless, it was their choice. Ever since that time men have endeavored to take away the free choice that God allowed from the beginning.

• Every person should be responsible;e for their own health

My belief is for freedom to choose for yourself whatever course of action in life a person wants. Freedom of choice should always be a basic right for every person Medical treatment is definitely something every man should be able to choose. There is to many variables when it comes to health. No one has more knowledge of your own body than you yourself.

• Yes, If of Legal Age

I believe Jehoav's Witnesses should be allowed to refuse medical treatment, and I believe most would agree that adult Jehovah's Witnesses should be allowed to refuse medical treatment. Whether we should allow adults to forgo blood transfusions or not doesn't seem to be a controversial issue in the United States; if the adult doesn't want treatment, we shouldn't force it upon them.

The tricky question deals with children of Jehovah's Witnesses, or Jehovah's Witnesses that are children. Just like our society doesn't allow individuals under a certain age to drink alcohol, drive, vote, or enlist in the military, we shouldn't allow children to make choices regarding their health unless they are responsible enough to do so. If my medical choices as a child were left up to me, I wouldn't never received any vaccinations simply because I was afraid of needles. As an adult, I believe I was better off getting them. So does the scientific community.

Children of Jehovah's Witnesses shouldn't be allowed to make medical choices that fly in the face of the scientific community until a certain age is reached. What that age might be seems to be an entirely different debate. At minimum, it ought to coincide with the age at which we deem individuals to be responsible and educated enough to vote and drive and enlist in the military and drink alcohol.

• No, With a Caveat

While I do believe that clear thinking adults should have the right to control what happens to their bodies, I take issue with two things: parents enforcing this rule on their children and children being taught that this is "God's command." Not only does this put children's health at risk, it may well keep them from becoming the clear thinking adults I mentioned earlier.

• Adults Vs. Children

I believe adults have the choice to accept or deny themselves medical treatment. However, children of Jehovah's Witnesses, or any religion for that matter, should not have that choice. Parents are caregivers of their children, not their owners. Therefore, any child who needs a specific treatment, such as a blood transfusion, should be treated, regardless of his/her parents wishes.

• No, Jehovah's Witnesses should not be able to decline medical treatment.

They should not be able to decline treatment, for the same reason they cannot commit suicide. The simplest injury or illness can lead to death, or permanent disability. To say that God would want that is hypocritical. We have a right to do many things, but we have an obligation to preserve life, especially our own, and the lives of our children.