• Otherwise it would be prejudicial

Human beings share a fundamental attribute: each of us has a life that matters to us. We experience what Tom Regan calls being the "subject-of-life", a being with a unique consciousness and/or personal experiences. If this is the basis for ascribing inherent value to humans, then in order to be consistent we must ascribe inherent value, and therefore moral rights to all subjects-of-life, human or non-human.

• Yes it should

Animals feel like humans do imagine how you would feel if someone tied you down and stuck things in you without your permission or consent and if you felt immense pain going through your body so I think that animals should one hundred percent have rights and should not be tested on or should have all the rights humans have to feeling safe and being healthy !!!

• They suffer just as we do, but it is more of a shame when they do.

Animals are innocent and helpless against humans. Those animals who hurt humans are put to death without question, we are in full control of them all. Yet the murder and torturous life of animals is often given a slap on the wrist. It wasn't too long ago that animals were considered to have no feelings at all. The human race is continuing to evolve intellectually, and I have full faith that animals will someday be given better justice for their torment than they do now.

• Yes, and those of the planet while you're at it!

How we treat our environment and all or any species we cohabit this planet with is the measure of our character and of our success. Clearly it's time to step our game up, we need only look around to witness our spectacular failure to live up to the potential of our own species. Good ideas going to waste because we're too short-sighted.

I totally agree with the respondent who said current systems cannot cope with increased traffic, we need to simplify things, make it much more local, with a unit in charge of monitoring a particular area's animal welfare (and these units should be granted the power to fine on the spot, where a violation has taken place - that would be a great deterrent plus it creates revenue for the protection of vulnerable animals).

Better education coupled with greater civic engagement or participation is the first step towards a solution. In a way, we are already moving forward a little, in some places faster than in others. Here, where I live, for instance, there was a circus which kept wild animals and over the years, the protests outside - every time it came to town the protest had grown in size and in anger - eventually drove it away. The circus which comes to town now is more 'cirque du soleil' style, no animals, and it's great. It's not enough, it's not nearly quick enough but, it's a start, it shows people do have some measure of power to affect change.

Http://www.Bbc.Co.Uk/news/uk-politics-22167725

• Animals have the right not to be mistreated by humans.

Animals have the right not to be mistreated by humans. Animals have the right to land and resources, and every community must consider the effect its choices will have on the native wildlife in the area. Domestic animals ABSOLUTELY have rights! They should be given proper care, food and shelter . . . And those that fail their responsibility to a pet, so as to violate its right to minimal comfort under their care, SHOULD BE HELD CRIMINALLY LIABLE!

• Justice and Animals

Animals are a part of this legal system. If someone murders an animal it is the same as murdering a human. To place boundaries between the both of them is to advocate specieism which in turn hurts society to the point where children are brainwashed into forgetting the horrors of this world.

• Yes, animals should not have to suffer or be harmed.

Animals should have the basic rights to protect them from harm or suffering. The exploitation of animals may lead to temporary human gains but at a larger long-term cost. Keeping animals in horrible living conditions prior to slaughtering and eating them might save in costs but likely is leading to lower quality meat as well as an overuse of antibiotics.

• animals are just like children

Animals are so important to some people there like their child. People that abuse their animals need to be put to the same set of laws as a child abuser. They are totally helpless and if you cant take care of them donate them to a shelter. Animal abusers need harsher consequences, poor helpless animals.

• Just keep a close eye on the Perpetrators.

Although I love my pets, and violations against animal rights make me extremely emotional and angry, I do not believe they should be included in the normal justice system. That system cannot handle the extra traffic. I do think it would be helpful to note perpetrators against animal rights, because many of these people either have or will be committing crimes of other kinds soon.

• Humans Before Animals

This response is purely for the present. Rights must be won for the entire human race before legislation happens to help animals. I don't believe in cruelty to animals at all, but I believe that the standard that is already in place is sufficient to for the time being. We must focus our efforts on attaining rights for our fellow human beings.