Should juveniles be charged and tried as adults?

Asked by: EroScythe
  • If they committed a serious offense

Do adult crime do adult time. I know cases where minors have committed premeditated felonies, and here are some examples: the murder of James Bulger, the Jonesboro Middle School Shooting, crimes relating to two Supreme Court cases and I know one case where a 16-year-old girl manipulated her 22-year-old boyfriend into killing his ex-girlfriend. No matter how old someone is, they commit a heinous crime, they pay the price.

• Kids Need To Be Taught Not Severely Punished

If kids are committing serious crimes, why should they be treated and charged as adults when they will probably develop more anger towards someone rather than just putting them into juvenile detention. Also, most kids will get in severe trouble from their parents and they do deserve to be punished and they should be put into counseling and therapy but I don't believe that they should be treated and charged as adults.

• In most cases, no....

In most cases, I think that juveniles should get treatment, therapy, and punishment, but being tried as adult for things that are not murder or rape is an extreme punishment for kids/teens, who aren't fully developed or know what is going on in the world. Adult punishments should be saved for adults who know the difference between right and wrong, not for a kid who probably is treated terribly at home or who didn't know it was bad.

• Juveniles need rehabilitation not prison.

Instead of being tried as adults they should remain in the juvenile system in which they can receive care. For example in California there are programs in which they help juveniles get back into society. The programs offered in the United States have been proven and many of the juveniles become successful.