• If You Can Do the Crime You Can Do The Time

Juveniles should deffinatley be tried as adults because, its not like they dont know what they are doing. Now a days people are smarter than you think, with the increase in technology, you cant take anyone for granite. If a person is aware of what they are doing and has control of what they are doing then they should be punished, hence the Insanity clause. Now, a kid at 14 years old shouldnt be insane. But if he is then he should be in a mental institution just like all the rest. Then again, everyone is equal right? I mean after all; This is America.

• Old enough to know what they are doing

Minors, no matter how old are capible of knowing the difference between right and wrong. Minors should be charged as adults. No matter if its shop lifting or cold blood murder, charge the kids as adults and maybe they will start thinking like one and grow up. Minors are capible of knowing what they are doing, so there for they can pay the time for it .

• Be responsible for what you did!

Minors should be tried as adults because they made the same mistakes as adults. If they had the guts to break the law they should have the responsibility to face what they did. Age does not matter because its just a number. What matters the most is for justice to be served how its supposed to be.

• Teens are NOT Kids, they are Young Adults

13- 18 year old kids are smart enough to know that if you kill, rape, or torture a person, you will go to jail & you understand that your actions are wrong. Im 16 & im a good person, you don't see me killing, raping, or torturing a person because I don't have a develop mind. For teens who were involve but they did not know that someone was going to be killed, or didn't hurt anyone, they should get parole. But for teens who enjoys killing, then it should be death row for them

• Kids should be charged as adults only if the crime committed is heinous

I as a 17 year old teen, think that if a kid commits a crime like rape, murder, or something else like that, they should be charged as an adult. Otherwise, they should be charged as a Juvenile because there is a proven study that kids who grow up in bad homes, bad neighborhoods, or the like often do things because they don't know any better. They should get help.

• Tried as an adult

I do feel that juveniles should be tired as an adult depending on the crime. I feel if a child decides to make a huge life changing decision they should have to suffer the consequences. If their crime is something little and they don't have a criminal background, then no I don't think they should be.

• Tried as adult

JUVENILES SHOULD BE TRIED AS AN ADULY AND IM SAYING THIS AND IM A JUVENILE MYSELF. Some people might think this is very harsh but i personally believe that if you commit a crime and were smart enough to do it then you are able to be tried as an adult

• For harm done,punishment is must

No matter who does the crime ,justice must prevail and hence, the accused must be punished.Forgiving juveniles would encourage them to commit horrifying crimes.There wont be any inclination to look bad in committing a crime.The lens through which which we will look at crimes should be unbiased and thus juveniles should not be left untouched if they resort to wrong practices.

• Minors should be charged as adults if they do a crime

Why not? Everyone knows the difference between right and wrong at a very young age. At age 8 that child can choose which parent they want to live with if they are getting divorced, so at that age you know what you shouldn't do. Rape, murder and so on is a crime and if someone is willing to do those vicious things then they deserve time in jail

• They know right from wrong

They may be younger, but they still know right from wrong, especially if it comes to harming another person, and just as they understand the same as an adult, i feel that they have the same mindset as an adult and would do harm again if let out in such a short time.

• How can they possibly be tried as adults, when they are physically incapable of thinking like one?

Juveniles are not allowed to drink, drive, get married, and if they sign legal contracts, their signatures are invalid. Why? Because adolescents are physically incapable of making mature, responsible, well-processed decisions; and this isn't just because of lack of inexperience in life. Adolescent brains are not fully developed until at least the age of 20. They lack the prefrontal cortex, the lobe of the brain that helps with reasoning and judgment. Teens also do not have a fully developed cerebellum, the area of the brain that helps control impulse. Without these two physical characteristics that separate the men from the boys, teenagers can not possibly be expected to endure the same consequence as fully matured adults.

Research shows that the rate at which juvenile violators of the law turn their lives around as opposed to older violators is remarkable. With the use of rehabilitation, psychological guidance, and some punishment is efficient to teenagers who are convicted of crimes. Sentencing a 12-year old to life in prison just seems morally unjust, especially when he has a high probability of turning his life around with some help.

I do however think the severity of the crime is important. I do believe that, in some specific cases, some children who conduct heinous and outrageously violent crimes should be sentenced more severely, but I still believe in psychological evaluation as the child gets older.

Sentence juveniles as juveniles, because that is what they are.

• No Juveniles should NEVER be tried as adults

The reasoning behind this has absolutely nothing to do with the crime, intelligence level, or intent. This is a subject that cannot be fairly judged on a case by case basis, and therefore needs a black and white answer. There are far too many instances where race and location decide whether or not someone is tried as an adult. Leaving the decision open for interpretation allows juveniles in better home situations to get off with less, while those less fortunate see their entire lives taken away from them. Until I hear a logical answer to the issue of selection and consistency, there is no fair way other than to see every juvenile, or no juvenile.

• KIDS ARE NOT ADULTS..

I just did a persuasive essay for my english and found that children as young as 11 years old are being sent to adult prisons. 96% of these kids live in an abusive home, are being abused or live in violent neighborhoods. Where is the intervention to prevent the crimes? As a country and a community we should be fighting to save these children not throw them away with people that we as a society deem monsters! We need stronger school systems, more after school programs, more counselors at schools and not cops. When the kids are in highschool they should be taking an anger management class to deal with the emotions and cognitive changes they are going through. In my research i found a study that showed that a 15 year old male tried as adult for murder has the same mentalaity as a mentally retarded adult that our state would sa is unable to stand trial. These young offenders may no right from wrong, but they are unable to process the long term affects of their decisions. And most teens live in the now, they arent thinking of tomorrow or 5 years from now. We need to step up and help these kids not lock them up. NO CHILD DESERVES TO GO TO PRISON AND BE RAPED AND ABUSED BECAUSE THEY ARE THE WEAKEST IN THE CELL BLOCK!!!

• No, I believe they should be given a second chance to better themselves.

I was a juvenile once, and yeah I messed up, but when the judge gave me a second chance to start afresh, I took it, and have been straight for almost two years now. I'm not saying that every juvenile is going to think like me, but the ones that do deserve it. If you take that away then it wouldn't be fair and unconstitutional.

• Brains and Science

It is a fact that the cognitive development of a young person is not complete until they are in their early twenties. They do not have the ability of adults to understand long term consequences of bad actions. The connections in the brain literally are not there yet. Holding a 12 year old to the same standard as a 30 year old when they don't have the same mental development is wrong. Punish yes but throw away the key no. Europe considers you a juvenile till 21 or even 25 and don't try children as adults. Funny how we refer to a 16 year old as a child who doesn't know what they are doing when they have sex but a 12 year old knows all when they do something horrible.

• Kids aren't adults

If we begin to treat our kids like adults our society won't function. We'll be convicting first-time juveniles to prisons with adults that have committed a wide range of crimes. From child-molesters to murderers, do you want our kids to be sent to the mercy of these repeat-offenders in jail?

• Every kid needs a second chance

No I don't think kids should be tried as adults. They need to put somewhere or locked up somewhere because they need some kind of treatment so that they can get the help they need. They need to get help and move on and let back out after they get help and see how they do.

• What do they know?

I'm personally from a stable home in a great community, most of the juveniles committing the crime are from horrible communities in a horrible home, all they have known is a world with crime. If incarcerated they will just continue knowing a world with crime and nothing more. But yet we question their wrong doings.

• They are mostly likely to commit another crime.

Juveniles are dangerous because they are teenagers i would know but that does not make us equal to older males or females. We are dumb and do things out of the ordinary, and putting us in a place where there is hate, rape, murder, and very dangerous people will just make us into something even worse. Juveniles should be able to make a mistake and be tried as a juvenile not an adult.

• Crimes are crimes. Juveniles are juveniles. Adults are adults.

Being a juvenile comes with the fact that they ARE juveniles. It is science and fact that juvenile brains are NOT fully developed. They do not think and act like adults. Should they get away with committing crimes? Of course not, but they should not be tried as adults either BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ADULTS. This is not rocket science. Why would you try a juvenile as an adult? That's like saying because a 12 year old can fire a weapon, why not let him enlist "as an adult" in the service? Or just because a 15 year old can have sex, why couldn't he be a qualified "adult"parent? Minors/juveniles can do many things adults can do, but it does not make them adults.

Anonymous says2013-04-04T15:31:47.720
No they shouldnt kids sometimes a pressured into doing some crimes
Anonymous says2013-04-30T01:39:07.347
Agreed. Kids should be tried as adults be not sentenced to adult complexes
Anonymous says2013-05-28T18:08:54.220
If a child is mature but young they know what they were doing. Just because they are at a young age doesn't give them the excuse. What they did was furious, horrifying, and horrendous. Kids should be tried as adults.