Should kids be able to play rated M video games?

Asked by: Animal101
  • They are not that violent.

Games like Call of duty aren't that bad the game isn't real. I don't get why everyone thinks those games are bad. I think it should be rated T. Even if it is violent why does it matter if the game is not real. I think kinds 10-11+ should be able to play games like Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield and all of those games.

• Rated M games are fun.... NO...... SUPER FUN!!!! Kids need to grow up and stop playing Mario bros because its just a really childish game

Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!Its fun!VIts fun!

• "M" exists for a reason.

The "M" rating exists for a good reason, to denote a game for older audiences. Children should not be allowed to play games they are to young to play.

However, the actual rating aside it is my opinion that the age rating of games should be updated. Games like CS:GO and Hat Fortress 2 should not be rated "M" as they don't really contain anything especially violent or world changing for today's youth.

CoD of Doody should be age restricted to prevent children from having to suffer the stupidity of it's average, 11-year old player.

• Two Words: Hell No

Ever wonder why mass shootings in schools, something that never happened 50 years ago, happen every few months now. It's because too many kids today are playing violent video games. These games give children a rush of adrenaline when they pretend to take lives, which someday ends up becoming a rush of adrenaline they get when they shoot their classmates with a real gun.

• It really depends

Children should not be able to play "M" rated games because they are simply not mature enough to play them. If the child is somehow mature and sophisticated, then they should be able to play. It is mostly a hit or miss for this topic. But, it is a fact that the child may not be able to handle any of the content, thus, they should not play rated M games, and stick to T and E.

• No no no

I think people under 19 shouldn't play M games. M games are to much to handle for people under 19. I think that because M stands for mature, and mature means smarter and bigger. 19 year olds are bigger than 12 year olds. I went to my friends the other day and he wanted to play a rated M game. I had to say no but it was hard. I think its kind of like an addiction.

• I think by default no. But...

Ultimately, I think the major reason for children not playing M rated titles is the themes.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that most M rated games will portray difficult circumstances and extremely high level moral themes and issues that child's mid may not be able to understand very well. Sexual themes and violence could also be a bit of an issue, but I'm not sure that's as pertinent.

What I have to say here though is that I think the themes explored in M titles when played by children are often lost on them or even worse, are misinterpreted. Children can definitely understand many things, but sometimes, certain themes are just too complex to grasp. The child may enjoy these kinds of games, on pure fun factor, but many more things in these titles can be lost.

Now am I saying that children should be barred from earning the ability to play these games? No way. I just think the default answer should be no when the kid asks to play mature rated games, but I think at the same time, if a child asks, they should be allowed, with supervision, because discussion and learning are there to be had. If a parent doesn't want to do this, well, that's boring, but still.

My point stand on the no side, but that no is a default position and I think it depends heavily on the situation of the child and game being played.