• The statistics prove it.

School isn't just about learning math,science,ect. It's the best way to teach social interaction. We also don't want a country filled with illiterates. That's been a major problem for developing countries who have bad school systems. We should be lucky that we get a free education. People all over the world break there backs just to get there kids in a school.

• Children should go to school

Children should be forced to attend school because they cannot make that kind of life decision at their age. If I had the choice not to go to school when I was young I would have not chosen to go but now I am very glad I am educated and it has made me the successful and happy woman I am today.

• It gives Freedom!

It's the fact that none of the posts hating school mention why we have schools in the first place. School gives the opportunity to plan what we want to be when we're older. We learn important subjects that without them we wouldn't know much about them. It doesn't matter whether your homeschooled or not, it's the fact you're learning because you have the freedom to choose who you want to be in the future. Before common schools many children worked in factories and were paid less than adults. And you couldn't choose as much because you wouldn't know anything about it! For example, if you are born on a farm, you end up working as one because you have that skill. You also have to realize that we live in a civilazation. We aren't monkeys living in a jungle that focus on survival, were civilized people, and we live in a nation that gives us freedom of what field we want to be in. Their are many countries in the world that children their want to learn but they can't. And no, just becuase you have to wake up early doesn't mean every other student has too. Their are schools in this world that let you attend later than the morning. Most of you hate school cause you hate homework and would rather watch Adventure Time then to sit in a desk all day. But you need to realize we don't just sit and be lazy for the rest of our lives, we have to work to be better, and to succeed and learn and expand our knowledge. You can't be a crybaby saying I know more than an adult, cause trust me, you can do rocket science? Or in fact you haven't learned certain things cause you can't till you're in an older grade? We need school, are yes I love school.

• It gives you freedom!

It's the fact that you can understand and learn different kinds of subjects, expand your knowledge, and socialize with others. Whether your homeschooled, going to a private school, religious school, or a public school you prepare for who you want to be in the future. Before common school, many children worked in factories under stressful conditions and were paid much lower wages then adults do. They didn't really have a choice. If you were born on a farm you could only have the skill of being a farmer (Example). But with education, you can actually have the freedom to choose which job you plan to have in the future. Whether your wishing to be a scientist, math teacher, poet, author, anything you can imagine it requires a set of knowledge.

• Yes yes yes!!!!!

If a child who is young, being allowed to choose whether they want to go to school or not is an obvious no. But just think if the next generation isn't forced to go to school many people will become a) extremely unsociable b) they won't know how to read or write which you will definitely from my experience need to do c) who will save the lives of those if you don't take medicine degrees? D) if you can't read, write or simply use simple maths techniques such as addition and subtraction, how ill people earn money? E) If people can't place a good argument like this right now how are we supposed to keep our country sustained? F) Finally I believe one of the most important ones is that when adults get older they say school was the best days of their lives as they say they accomplish things, help them find their strengths and weaknesses and also enable them to find the talents that will provide a job or hobby for them throughout their life.

I don't only believe school should be taken seriously I think it shouldn't even be a question to go and get an education!

• Are you crazy?

I am 12 going 13 and i have a dream to become a professional actress, something that people in Singapore don't take seriously! Somebody explain how a vernier callipers is going to help us find a job. Apparently, adults think that kids want to have a job which requires them to sit behind a desk all day on their butts and school is required. Even if we were supposed to go to school we should be learning things that help us to pursue our passion. The asshole who came up with school should be made immortal and chained down so we can stab him over and over again and he never dies but feels the pain that we kids/ teenagers feel!

• It will make their life's better

They will learn all kind of learning. School isn't like a prison all it does is help you for the future prepare you for the future.Kids should go to school because they need it. If they don't go to school they wouldn't know what to do with their life , their future wouldn't lead them nowhere.

• Yes, they should...

Although school can become quite tedious for students, it should be made obligatory. We need a society that his well educated. Sometimes the biggest reasons for corruption are illiteracy. School creates a sense of self-discipline in a child. Also, a lot of the working class cannot afford a care-taker all the time. In a lot if countries, education is not free, so we as Americans, are lucky to have a free public school system. Things like social inequality and prejudice can be broken when we go to school and become aware of other cultures. People that go to college/ uni and up getting a high-paid job then one who only decides to complete high school. A child can have a lot of potential, and school provides as a means to show it. I just have an objection with students waking up really early to get to school... Otherwise, education leads a path to a bright future, and everyone needs at least the minimum amount of education.....

• Hey that's pretty good

People are already stupid with school so why make them stupider by not making school mandatory? I mean who would go to school if we weren't forced? Thats all i have to say and this is just filler words because this website has to have a certain amount of words

• Yes you should

Because i am always right llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllll !!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• Excuse me, but are you serious?

The argument that says they cannot make life decisions.. Those people make me sick. Children are as smart as any adult. I am twelve, and although I'm young, I know a good deal about education. My reading level is high school. I know a lot more stuff than most people here know. Mostly because I want to get a job inventing software/hardware for computers. I am doing research on this and getting a good understanding for it. I know javascript, and I'm pretty sure most people don't know javascript. But did school teach me anything relevant to the career I want? Other than math, no other subject has taught me anything. I taught myself javascript simply by reading it. Nothing in my school has taught me anything important. And history.. Don't get me started on history. Which job would give a crap about where indians live? What we do care about are more interesting subjects, such as World War Two. And the French were barely mentioned, if not only hinted at when I was taught the revolutionary war. Honestly, it's better to teach yourself rather than have other people force useless subjects on you that you will never use in your life. Science/math are an exception, but the rest.. No. Just no. Kids should have a choice to go to school.

• It doesn't seem right!

People are forced to go to school because they are being forced to wake up early. I feel that kids should not be forced to go to school because your wasting money on someone who will no do anything after they graduate. Also people want to explorer the world but they cant because school gets in there way.

• No they should not

Children should not be forced to do something that they don't want to do. They should have the right to refuse to do something they don't want to do (go to school). How would the people of the government like it if someone told them to do something that they don't want to do?

• The Historical and Psychological Methods of State Supported "EDUCATION"

Most people do not know where the origins of public education come from. They come from a country that used to exist called Prussia. Today Prussia has been mixed in with what we call Germany. The idea of compulsory schooling comes from the idea of a militarized state (i.E. Prussia) where it is necessary to conform people's thoughts to one mindset, in other words, the government's mindset. How is it that homeschooling, unschooling, and free democratic schools exist? They exist because they oppose the rigid, and mind numbing effects of an institution in which its goals are not 'education' but rather 'social conformity', 'consumerism', and down right 'obedience' to a higher power such as the government. For one, it is one of the best social engineering programs for a country in order to develop a strong military force. In addition, it makes majority (not saying all) pledge and submit to people who don't necessarily have their best interest, safety, or well-being at heart. Unfortunately, society has accepted and even adopted these ideals because it is the 'norm'. There is no room to question these things... However, you should question such things. The state does not own families, or individuals, each individual owns themselves. State laws demand you send your child to school; however, every parent or guardian can make a choice for their child not to attend. The serious note; however, is the fact that we have laws forcing the children of parents to attend these institutions. Most parents would agree, let the child go to these institutions, don't even question as to how teachers and so-called authority figures, who are complete strangers (unless you know them some how), mold and conform your students to a particular set of information that would later on become down right NOT useful. Parents, who disregard most of their child's emotional and psychological well being, leave their child in an insane system where the mind of the child is being transformed under the guise we call 'education'. To say kids being forced to go to school to help them socialize and to be educated is false. If you look at homeschoolers, unschoolers, and even students who attend democratic free schools, there socializing is real, deep, and fulfilling. Not only that, their education and environments have a strong ground for better emotional and psychological health. In addition, the school subjects (math, language arts, social studies, etc.) are not the only subjects in life. In fact, these subjects are not divided, life and learning is not divided into worksheets, separate classrooms, separate categories of lists and paradigms--it is all and one--life. So NO, kids should not be forced to go to school, unless it is free and democratic, otherwise children should be part of communities with all age groups, with no strict behavior control, where learning can flourish, where emotions are full of joy, grace, and hope.

• Should be available but not essential.

I am 13 years old. Atleast 90% of my worries are about school. I hate having to get up at 6 am. I hate the fact that I do not get enough sleep because of school. I hate the fact that I have to stay up until 8-9 pm doing homework and on weekdays have close to no social life. I hate the fact that I am being forced to make life choices at this age even though I have trouble choosing what cereal to have in the mornings. I don't know what I want to be when I'm older! I hate being in a school with a bunch of bullies and idiots who want nothing but your misery. The only reason children have to go to school is for the benefit of others, for the benefit of intellects who think they are better than everyone and that everyone should know how to do algebra or know how to write a 3 page essay. Human beings deserve freedom. We shouldn't be FORCED to go anywhere, to do anything.

• No they shouldn't!

Children should not be forced to go to school simply because it is not fair on them to be somewhere in which they are not happy! Children should have the choice to go to school or not because school ruins children's childhoods by having to wake up really early, go to multiple classes which teach them things that they really do not want to be taught and school is also extremely stressful for students and because of having to study they get sleep deprived which is just plain wrong!

• I disagree with the statement

I think is false as the people who force the children to go school, aren't letting the children have freedom to study. It is also making the students less motivated and then the dropout rate would be outstandingly high. Then everybody would be arguing about students being forced to go to school. So that is why students should not be forced to go to school but instead make their own choice.

• Freedom to Choice!

Everyone has a freedom to choose. Children have it. We can't force them. If they don't want to go to school, then we should respect their choices. Remember, "Don't do unto others if you don't want others do it unto you". If you want children will respect you, respect them too.

• Forcing anybody is a rash decision.

Forced is mostly too harsh for anyone or anything. Forced is without consent. I was forced to go to high school and middle school. They were basically repeated subjects. I could have learned these matters on my own through Internet, people, library or just if I am curious or passionate enough, I would have somehow obtain that info.

If you believe only school is what makes us "less lazy, more educated, and more productive" than you have the freedom to believe so, we do not force you to believe us. But I for one do not believe school should be forced upon children or anyone as this would contradict on what freedom is.

• No, School should be available but not obligatory.

My very well thought out response disappeared when I hit submit. So here's a summary.
    Obligatory schools usurp personal freedom and train people to be dependent on authority. People who respond to this question by saying that everyone will be ignorant and uneducated seem to think education requires force.
    Compulsory education leads to centralized power and centralized curricula. It is antithetical to the american ideals of personal freedom. It also does a very poor job of training people to be good citizens since public school doesn't tend to train kids to self govern or initiate change. It tends to teach kids to distrust their own senses and abilities. It also creates a single measure of value that greatly restricts the creative potential of our country. When you take choice out of the equation you take the power of personal decision away.
    There is great benefit to being well-educated, and it makes sense for a country to help make education available, but making it compulsory by law goes too far. Putting choice back into the equation would likely expand the variety of educational experiences available. The quality of education would ultimately rise.