Should kids be required to learn Spanish in schools?

Asked by: dragonsteel13
  • Foreign languages are good

In the US, there is a high and rapidly increase in the Hispanic population and most schools (like my own) have students that only speak Spanish. I take Spanish class and where I live there's a high Spanish population. It is very helpful and kinda fun to learn a different language. If you take Italian, why not take Spanish? Hasta luego mi amigos!

• Help spanish only speaking people feel allowed to live!!!!!!!!

If everyone hated u, how would u feel? I know how i would feel, i would be so depressed that i wouldn't FEEL ALLOWED TO LIVE. Now look at u guys wanting them kicked out and then truth be told thinking that building a wall between the two countries(us and mexico)is a brilliant idea and then everything will be peachy, no more crimes, no more supposedly bad country that we have to make great again according to trump. I would atleast want my kids and myself be able to help people who r apparently outcasts in where they LIVE!
    U know these poor people thought that came to a country where they could be free and not picked on, but apparently they were SOOOOOOOO wrong.

• Its more than a language.

Education is more than merely gaining utility for future experiences. While the knowledge gained from schools is sometimes used, it is not always the case. Those in opposition to learning Spanish seem to think that since English is a world language, and the American school system teaches it, there is no need for any other world language. However, those opposed have failed to consider the multiplicity of languages, used worldwide they know. Math, physics and chemistry, used worldwide, are languages we all learn. Much like Spanish, English, or Mandarin they allow those versed in the language to carry on conversations and translate ideas from one person to another. It is not the case that everyone who learns these languages-Math, Chemistry and physics- will use the gained knowledge in their life, but they all have the opportunity to. Education is more than simply gaining a skill pertinent to your future trade, it is about becoming an enlightened and contributing member to society. Education opens many doors directly proportional to the amount of knowledge covered. Schooling was not designed for comfort, it was meant to teach, so as long as learning is occurring there is no wasted 45 minutes 5 times a week. By learning Spanish we as a country become more intelligent and open doors for ourselves, is that not the intent of education?

• A door to being multicultural

Spanish is the second most spoken language in America and children should learn and be encouraged to speak other languages. It opens to the door for them to learn about another culture than their own. America is a beautiful melting pot of race,culture and religion and that should be celebrated. Also when that child gets older knowing another language will look good on their resume especially if that child goes into the fields of government,medical, law enforcement etc.

• Secondary languages promote a more intelligent public.

Spanish is the closest thing to a second language in the United States. For centuries now, the US public has been largely ignorant of other cultures and languages. I think its time to change that, and speaking Spanish is a boon to one's economic success anyway. Why should jingoism, isolationism, or supposed difficulty influence curriculum? Start language classes earlier, it doesn't have to be Spanish but that's a good, easy start.

• We shouldn't have to learn it to "accommodate" all the illegals crossing our border.

It is not up to use and the political correct idiocy crowd t make sure that people who invariably break our laws should feel right at home, those people should always fear being deported back and not be able to feel any sense of security in the fact that they can confide in anyone, harsh yes, but we shouldn't have to accommodate people who are law breakers.

• A waste of time.

I have to learn Spanish in my school, and no one likes it. We always have bad teachers (nice people, not good at teaching) and no one has every ACTUALLY used it in the real world. Sure, it's a world language, but so is Mandarin or ENGLISH??? Hello?
    I guess I just find it illogical we have to waste forty five minutes, four times a week, on a language no one has ever used outside of class (or for some, even heard outside of class).

• Not at all

Its just a really long boring class. I'm a student and I don't even know why we are learning Spanish. Do we really need to, when will we ever need it? It's not just me, maybe some of the other students in my school don't want to learn it. So I say no.

• Not a national language.

No, we shouldn't. It is not a national language and as such should not be forced upon kids. If kids want to learn a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th language they can do it outside of school and pick the language they want to learn. There is no reason to force Spanish (or any other non-national language) on anyone.

• No, Kids shouldn't be forced to feed the unassimilation of immigrants who refuse to take on the american culture.

Learning another language is fantastic, it just shouldn't be the language of the largest number of illegal immigrants. Learn German, French, Mandarin, even mandarin I don't see the point in learning since most Chinese people that Americans will encounter speak English. I think children should learn about the culture not the language. I also Don't think that we should waste resources for something that has proved to be incredibly unreliable for learning a language, plus most students don't care about learning another language because they know they most likely wont use it very much or at all.

• We speak English in the usa

This country was founder by english men that spoke english. The fact that the white people are now the minority is wrong but blame the government. We as people should come together and protest the fack that now our children are required to learn spanish in school. Not our fault we are the minority. We should send all the immigrants back to were they came from or force them to learn english. This is our country and i want it back. What happened to being able to go to walmart and know what people are saying. Now all you see is different races other that white people filling our store our jobs our streets. And the government wonders why there is so much crime and trouble in this country. And now our kids are forced to learn spanish in school so they fit in... Bullshit if you ask me. What will they do next.

• Shouldn't be forced on anyone, just like any other subject, whether math or science or art.

Shouldn't force anyone to learn a language, they only should learn to speak the language if it interests them, don't force anyone to speak English language as they used to and same for Spanish, just try to make the Spanish class sound interesting by having fun activities without being forcing kids to speak it.

• They don't have to

I think that kids shouldn't have to learn spanish if they don't want to. If they want to learn spanish they can,and if they don't want to they don't have to. I'm not saying that i don't like spanish, i actually like the culture, but I'm just saying that if kids want to learn spanish they can.

• Remove Spanish From Schools

I believe it's good for children to learn a language IF THEY WANT TOO. Forcing children to learn Spanish against there will is a terrible thing to do. It's immensely unpatriotic and it's a waste of time and school resources that could be used on a different subject. The worst part is the fact that learning Spanish is like catering to illegall immigrants running across the border. I hope Spanish is removed from schools before my son goes insane.

• We are American.

Spanish is good for other countries, but in America, English is the spoken language. Sure, it's nice to go down south and understand the snarky remarks sent your way, but requiring Spanish, and only Spanish, is kowtowing to a xenophobic population coming over here. Let them come, and learn to speak what everyone else is speaking. They're not special. They're American, like everyone else affected by that kind of rule.