Should kids get in trouble for being late to school?

• Be on time.

School is there to prepare you for life as an adult. Plain and simple. Being on time is something you will need to do as an adult and being late can have consequences. Not only will you need to be on time for personal matters but also for just about any job you get. Being late will always reflect on your job performance record. Your performance record can affect future advancement and can even be used to fire you. Getting in trouble for being late to class can be looked at as another lesson the school is teaching. This lesson is, if you don't want to get into trouble, be on time.

• Punishment for breaking rule is justifiable and forms good habits.

Kids and adults should be held accountable for their actions. Traffic patterns tend to be fairly consistent, so blaming traffic for being late is not a valid excuse. If there was an accident holding up traffic, most schools will accept your tardiness without punishment if you can offer proof. Punishment for being late will give you an incentive to be on time the next day. Punishment encourages building good habits and responsibility.

• Late for work

Being on time means you have respect for the use of other people's time. School is meant to prepare you for the real world. If you are frequently late for work you get fired. You need to plan ahead, take into account that traffic might be bad, and leave early to make sure your arrive on time.

• We are talking KIDS

If we are talking kid kids think about the parents they are the ones driving them to school. One of my friends who lived outside the district but had to attend my school had her mother pick her up and drop her off. She loved school and made good grade but had no desire to be late. She would yell at her mom because they were always waiting on her to get ready and driver to school. At a certain age its not the kids job to get themselves ther on time

• Kids should not need to be perfectly on time as long as they learn

Kids should not get in trouble because it could be the parents fault. It also could be bad traffic or you could live far away. As long as you are learning things in school, than it shouldn't matter if you are on time or not. It is not fair to people that you get in trouble because you were late. Plus it goes on your school record and that's just not fair.

• Things happen, no one's perfect

Kids should not get in trouble for being late to school because things happen. If they are late a lot then they should get in trouble, but if it's once, there should be no consequences. I bet you've been late to something before. A party, reservations at a restaurant. Did you get in trouble for that?

• They should not be punished

They need to give us more time and help us solve our tardy promblem instead of punishing us for this. Its nit fair for the students who are good kids and not popular and abuse the rights we have in school. Some kids abuse our rights amd we are getting them taken way. Which is not fair to everyone

• They are children and can't drive and you don't get in trouble for being late to work for a good reason.

My daughter was sick once and had to go into her doctor every morning before school to take a test to make sure her kidneys were functioning properly. Everyone in the office knew the situation. But on the 5th day with doctors note in hand the principal came up to us to ask if "she was having a problem getting to school on time". It took everything I had not to punch the bitch and instead tell her everyone knew she had a very horrible virus and had to see her doctor every morning before school and showed her the note. No apology or anything because that's all public schools care about -following the rules, being on time and no one cares about your kid really. If you take your tax dollars and move your child out of their school, they won't care either and we did. I have one attending a charter and one homeschooled and it's SO MUCH better. My kids are happier, learning more and playing outside! It's NOT hard to teach. It is apparently hard to have empathy though if in the public school system. Never again will I think they get control over my kids. It's ridiculous that anyone would let it go that far. The first time they punish your child wrongly, get them out of there before it's a court matter. It's my tax dollars that they have jobs so you work for me. You do a bad job and I'll outsource it or do it myself. Treat parents with respect and reap the benefits. In a "real" job you'll know your true boss. Your boss isn't the principal. It's me. You fail my kid, I'll find another way. If my kid was late to school, there was a damn good reason just like when the teacher didn't show up for some reason (sick, etc.). Trust me as the parent that I know whay I'm doing or I'll question your every move.

• Might be genuine reason on why they are late

There might be reasons for lateness. Mental health problems, bullying, not feeling well, parents cant drive them because they are in well and all sorts of reasons etc. he might have hospital or doctors appointment or dental appointment. It could be any number of things. None of us are perfect.

• No, the town pays them.

My school has a policy of being late twice and then a detention. What is this? The three strike law? I understand the whole "It teaches you a life lesson" but I'm not being paid to come here? And I am not being taught how to make money, instead on how to lose money in the educational system, but thats another debate. The school should discipline kids who need discipline, someone who walks into school 20 min late, with no reason why, and shows no care about learning should be disiplined (why are they even there?). But if I walk in 18 seconds after the bell, after walking 20 minutes in the cold, and I am going to learn, why do I get a 1 hour detention? I learn my "life lesson" from my part time job where I get PAID to show up, if I am late I lose money and respect. At school we give up so much money in taxes and barely have a nice looking school for it and I am getting penalized for showing up? Weird.

• Should Kids get in trouble for being late to school?

I don't think that kids should be punished because they are late for a reason and they cant help it unless they slept in or just simply skipped. If they have a good excuse they shouldn't have to have a detention that some schools do. It takes to much time and its worthless.