• Absolutely Freaking Not.

Is this a joke? I'm serious, is this a joke? I T H I N K N O T !!!! Kids are going to have different teachers every year. It's kinda pointless to give homework to a teacher you don't have. Whoever made this opinion, C'MON SON! I can respect other opinions, but c'mon son!

• Are you crazy

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• Recommended, but not Mandatory.

I think it's fine to give students some recommendations for reading or working over summers. The problem with mandatory assignments is that it doesn't take into account what the student might be doing with the family. Traveling to Europe? Vacationing in Disney World? Working on a farm for the summer? Good luck with your homework, kid. In my opinion, the school that has to give homework over the summer is the school that failed to educate students during the other 9 months of the year.