Should Laptops Be Provided to Students in Schools Instead of Textbooks?

• Yes they should

It would be much easier. Using laptops allows students the ability to access the most recent information. If they are using a text book it can take some high schools up to 7 years to receive a newer version. If they had laptops the information they received would be updated and would help give them the education they deserve. It would allow them to keep up with the fast paced world.

• Faster and greener

Using laptops are really good because faster process, and greener if you think about it. The way they are greener is books use leaves from trees which house animals and faster because you don't have to use an eraser and if you use pen and don't have any twink well your left with a mistake in your book. Right now I'm in school using a laptop that the school provided...

• They are so useful!!!!

Dear General Public,
    "Mom, I need a notebook..." Have you ever heard this? Well, I can prevent that. You can buy one, just one laptop, for a lifetime, granted!!! Using laptops is much easier than going shopping every school year, or asking for a pencil every school year. So for this reason, General Public, we are asking you to allow us to use devises instead of supplies that we throw out at the end of every school year.
    To begin with, using devices such as laptops is a lot better than using notebook and pencils that are made by destroying rainforest's all over the world. What’s the big deal of using the same laptop every year, with each grade's work in a separate folder? For instance, when you go on Middle School interviews they ask for your portfolio. For that, General Public, kids can show their work from the moment they ever started school! And not just work that they have done lately. It's also helpful using laptops instead of impossible-to-use-supplies because most times teachers assign tests on certain websites, so you can do your tests right there before there overdue! (Not to mention you'd get a complete zero not doing your tests.)
    Furthermore, do you ever complain about needing more notebooks or a pencil, and let's leave out the fact you might complain about losing your text books! Well, you know, there is a solution to that! There is this one device that can write for you, draw, search, and obviously prevent the fact that you have to waste precious time shopping for school stuff-that barley ever last a lifetime! Laptops to me are lifesavers-except for the fact that we aren't using them today in school! According to me, every time I hear these voices echoing the same quotes: "I need a pencil!" or "My notebook is out of papers!" or "Gosh! This pencil broke! I need a sharpener!" My heads plugs me into a vision of how it would be if every student had his/her own laptop, sitting doing their work without complaining-Sheesh! It would be like Elysium! You can even read that cool book online-or that book that just came out and you've been dying to read it!
    To end, using laptops would also prevent excuses students make to slip out of knots. For instance, students can't say they left their homework or textbook or say the common thing-my dog ate my homework! Because-uh! All your data is on your darling device! I mean-c'mon guys! Kids won’t even think about not doing homework or making excuses because-they get to do it on a laptop! Wow!
    To conclude, using laptops also means distracting friends for a pencil and talking-with-my-friend-next-door-cuz-I'm-bored-days are over, because you'll find doing work on a laptop is more macho than using get-my-hands-sweaty-pencils and stare-at-plain-paper rubbish. In my opinion, I reckon you, General Public, can prevent that. I think you can change kid’s feelings about school. Good-day to you all!

• They are so useful!!!!

Dear General Public,

• Yes, it would be very helpful

I am a student of 6th grade, and I think its much better than normal notebooks.
    1. You save trees
    2. It is easier
    3. It makes writing less tiring
    4. It makes learning more cool and interesting
    5. If you need to search something, you just do it
    6. You can use it several years, not just one year

• Laptops should be in schools

Someone counter argued that it was to expensive, well your wrong because its actually cheaper. A laptop that they would buy would be only around $600, when buying normal books are around $100 each. As a freshman and sophomore in high school you normally take 8 classes, So 8 classes 8 books $800. Then as a junior and senior in some schools not all but some your allowed to take college classes for the second half of the day, which still leaves you with 5 classes, which is still only $500, BUT think about it, you can use the same laptop all throughout high school so you just saved yourself around $2000 at a minimum. Not to mention the fact that its lighter than a book less strain on a child, and the ability to find research on something at any time.

As for the reason it can be stolen or "lost" there was a school that traded laptops for textbooks as a test and of the hundreds of students only 1 student "lost" his and the other broke it.

The teachers cant make sure that kids are doing what they are supposed to do:

Wrong if the teacher actually does their job then they should be able to walk around and watch and see what their students are doing like my teachers did, and also there is a way to block whole entire websites from a computer, so they can't do anything that they should be doing anyways.

• Laptops should be in schools

• They are cool

Should School Be Year Round?

Susie Valenzuela, Middle School Teacher, El Paso Independent School District, Texas

The debate between year-round school and a traditional school year has been on the agendas of school committee meetings for many years. Some argue that hosting year-round school will cut costs, but many feel that the cost of scheduling conflicts is too high. There are many pros and cons to each side, but should school really be year round?

Having year-round school has many benefits. With the population of the nation rising each day, overcrowding has become an issue and more and more schools are being closed, adding to the dilemma. Additionally, due to the current recession, many teachers have been laid off and classroom student counts have become bigger. A multi-track year-round school schedule would help avoid overcrowding. This type of schedule would allow the school population to be broken up into even groups, or tracks. Each group follows a different schedule so that they are attending school at different times. Another benefit to this type of scheduling is the reduction in class size so that each student is given more attention.

The cost benefits of having year-round school are quite appealing as well. Alternating schedules as mentioned with multi-track year-round school avoids the costs of having to build, furnish and supply new facilities, plus the cost of hiring new faculty and staff. A year-round school schedule would also provide teachers and staff with more job security.

Click Here to Learn More About School Development

By eliminating a long summer break, the lapse in the student academic learning during a long summer break is avoided. Continuity of instruction would be offered through a year-round schedule, offering shorter breaks in between. In some school districts, this has shown to improve student achievement and higher standardized test scores. For students who have learning disabilities, this advantage could help them tremendously. Other benefits to year round school are a reduction of stress with the more frequent breaks, a reduction in vandalism due to the school being used more regularly, and a more flexible entrance for students entering kindergarten.

In discussing the many pros of year-round school, there are many issues that families, faculty and staff will face once a change is made. For families with multiple children, scheduling conflicts will arise, especially when trying to plan valuable vacation time together. Additionally, families will need to make major adjustments to their own work schedules and/or daycare schedules. High school students will face problems with attaining summer jobs because they will not have the entire summer off and will only be off in short breaks throughout the year.

For school employees, maintenance opportunities are reduced. During the summer, school maintenance departments will use the extended period without students and teachers to make major repairs, changes and construction of buildings. The year-long school year will interfere with major maintenance issues and any repairs will have to be worked on while students and staff are present.

Although there will

• Give Students Laptops!!!!

We should give students laptops. Reason being is because there would be many things that will become easier on the child. First off it saves millions of trees. Secondly kids can carry all the information those heavy textbooks can in 3-8 lbs. You can study, research, do homework, type reports, email teachers, etc, all in one thin computer. This next generation is becoming more technical then previous generations and it will continue to grow.

• Children are the future

If we use outdated, heavy, and anti-eco-friendly textbooks, then how will our children ever learn how to use and deal with "machines" in the real world. At jobs you don't look up information for what you're working on in a textbook, you use some type for electronic device. Besides isn't the whole purpose of school getting you prepared for college and the real world where they use laptops?

• If kids want a laptop, parents must pay the money for the student's own laptop

Schools should not give out laptops because:
    1: the school will not be able to afford a laptop for each student, this will make the school broke
    2: schools already have laptop carts with laptops to be used only in class, and library desktops
    3: if the school could afford laptops, they would bebad ones
    So that's why textbooks should not be replaced by laptops. Students should talk to their parents about getting a laptop for their own use if they want to have one

• Students need to learn how to use books for reference.

I say no because then students are not learning how to use a book for a reference. Without knowing how to use a textbook then what are you going to do if something happened to your computer? All I have to say is that if you let your kid use a computer all the time then what kind of education are you getting, when you can just look the answer up on the Internet all the time?

• We Can't Afford It.

While one could make the argument that a laptop is a more effective learning tool than a book, I think that it is safe to say that schools across the nation cannot afford such an endeavor. It simply would cost too much money to do this across the United States.

• Read read read

We as Americans pay taxes for children to get an education, most likely they won't if the are on an computer or electronic device too distract them from the purpose of receiving knowledge. Textbooks are not as distracting and they are most likely on topic of the subject that is pulled.

• Stay With Textbook

Laptops should not replace textbooks in schools. Making this change would be very expensive and most schools and students cannot afford to do it. You have to consider everyone when making a decision like this. Also, it is easier for a student to replace a book rather than a laptop.

• Attention spans will shorten

Being a senior in high school now, It is useful to have a computer when you need it, but having a textbook when I am trying to learn is much more useful to me. I also get tired of looking at a computer screen if I am on it for more than an hour, so I could not look at one for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week.

• Students will depend on technology! !

You see kids asking their parents for a computer, cellphone or tablet... Think about it you dont know if your students are going on other websites such as social sites , playing video games also being in other inappropriate sites.. You cant control what they are doing theres proxy sites that unblock stuff for students. However they will depend on technology instead of doing the work themself they will look it up or ask someone on the internet.

• Yes, it would be very helpful

1. You save trees
    2. It is easier
    3. It makes writing less tiring

• Do not allow laptops

Well, in my opinion, using laptops rather than textbooks would solve a major problem of carrying heavy loads between school, house and tuition. But this brings in greater problems.
    1)Parents need to invest a lot on these.
    2)Students often get diverted and teachers cannot have a check on the student's activities.
    3)Students lose the book reading hobbies and get interested in digital-reading.
    4)they get addicted to it and no control on them would be possible.
    5)Long hours of laptop-watching leads to eye problems and mental problems.
    Hence they must not be encouraged.

• Can't play Halo on a textbook

How will a teacher know who in their class is doing what they're supposed to be doing? Sure, restrictions on what programs and websites can be used can be put in place, but these can be broken. Also, even if a student is trying to do what they're supposed to, they may not always be able to. Textbooks don't crash.