Should laws be enacted to require that legal services for the poor be provided at a reduced rate?

• Yes, I think laws should be enacted that require legal services for the poor to be provided at a low rate.

I think having competent representation in a legal case is vital in our current court system, currently if you are poor you can only afford the lowest quality or even a public defender and you will likely get a much worse result then someone who could afford a higher quality lawyer, I think justice would benfit if the poorer people had access to better legal services at a lower rate.

• Yes, that would be great.

Yes, I do believe that laws should be enacted that require services be provided to the poor at a reduced rate. The government could pick up the difference in the form of a voucher so they law firm doesn't lose money, but I also think that they amount of money that a law firm can make from a case needs to be explored. In many cases, the fees are much too high and exploitative.

• Laws should require that legal services for the poor be provided at a lower cost

It is my opinion that the government should enact laws that would require legal services for the poor to be provided at a reduced rate. I feel that this would allow more people the opportunity to have the best possible representative for their legal needs as opposed to a public defender who may be less competent.

• This would be good.

Reduced rates for legal services for the poor would be great for the United States and any other country in the world. Just because you do not make a lot of money does not mean you should not have access to the legal system the same way anyone else would.

• It is already is

"If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be appointed for you."

It really is as simple as that. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be given to you for the nice price of nothing. Forcing private lawyers (who often times have tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt) would just be unfair to them as they struggle to pay off their JD.

• Lawyers run a business.

No, laws should not be enacted to require that legal services for the poor should be provided at a reduced rate, because lawyers have to run a business, too. Not all attorneys are rich. Also, people who get legal services at a reduced rate tend to be very demanding and they would contact the attorney all the time.