Should laws be passed to limit gun ownership further?

• More lives being put at risk.

Aurora, Chicago, Compton, Newtown... The list goes on. The lives of innocent men, women, and children silenced because of gun use. Maybe we can stop being selfish and look beyond ourselves. Maybe we should look at the lives of these innocent civilians. One day, our brothers or sisters might be on the news. One day your son or daughter might never come home from school. Then we ask ourselves, why? Why did this happen to us? Because we were selfish. Because we were blinded by our materialistic wants, and did not learn from the mistakes society had already made. Because, in the end, we weren't man enough to put others before ourselves. One day.

• A gun-free society is my goal.

We need to restrict guns in order to make it more difficult for criminals, or anyone for that matter, to obtain them. It is scary to think how easy it is for anyone to get a hold of any kind of gun. The 2nd Amendment doesn't apply like it used to, so anyone that tries to use that as an excuse to own guns is fighting for a lost cause in my opinion. This constant threat needs to be taken care of by making gun regulations much stricter.

• Guns can kill someone, words cannot.

How many more people have to die before we pass a law that makes it hard to buy a gun? Better background checks--if a person owns a gun they should be checked every month. REMEMBER IT ONLY TAKES ONE MISTAKE WITH A GUN TO KILL SOMEONE.

• Guns are trouble.

Laws to protect innocent people from misuse of guns should be passed. There are so many irrational, irresponsible and unstable people who right now carry guns whenever and wherever they want. I have lost two people in my life to guns, one in an accident because the gun was improperly stored, the other because a psychopath was able to buy a gun. We are not doing nearly enough to protect people from gun violence.

Posted by: BLeonard
  • I agree with limiting the gun ownership further, as it's unethical to carry weapons around.

The law to limit the ownership of guns or having weapons is unethical and not fair. The world should be a peaceful place to live in. All the weapons have been created by humans, and must be destroyed. Owning them should not be allowed. People who carry guns may not be responsible enough in the way they use them. Some try to boast about it too.

Posted by: taekialice
  • Absolutely

How many assault rifles, semi and fully automatic weapons etc. do you need to protect yourself. The NRA is getting way too powerful by installing fear as a lobbying tactic. Way too many death's by accidental shooting, which takes the rights of the dead person, away immediately. I think that there are some people that should never be allowed to own guns.

• Absolutely

How many assault rifles, semi and fully automatic weapons etc. do you need to protect yourself. The NRA is getting way too powerful by installing fear as a lobbying tactic. Way too many death's by accidental shooting, which takes the rights of the dead person, away immediately.

• Yes, I think they should pass more laws to limit gun ownership further, because there a lot of people who should not be able to own guns.

I think that there are some people that should never be allowed to own guns. People that do drugs, drink too much, are known for causing trouble, or have been in trouble with the law numerous times, should not be allowed to own a gun, at any point. These people can be volatile, and it's not a good idea for them to have a gun to create an easier way to harm people.

Posted by: SeriousNestor34
  • Ethics and Logic

It isn't logical for a regular citizen to own a semi-automatic or a weapon of that sort, when some Doctors and psychologists find it hard to get the right permission from officials to carry around a gun? It isn't ethical for a mentally unstable person to successfully purchase a gun. Yes, they can better the protection of the citizens but that's what cops are for. Let alone the numerous times that guns are stolen and the owner doesn't report it. MAYBE the government shouldn't intervene MORE because they already have plenty of laws in effect that deals with gun control; BUT, what they SHOULD do is enforce those existing laws better. Make then more bold and appealing. One way or the other these mass shootings need to be better prevented because most of the people who commit these horrific acts are mentally/emotionally unstable.

• Guns must be banned.

If someone broke into my home and we caught him then yes I would want to be able to defend myself, but does it give me the right to put a bullet in his head? No, it does not.

I do not see the need for killing somebody for revenge's sake

I also vehemently disagree with the American frontier mentality of people having guns in their homes to "defend themselves". The gun homicide rate in the U.S. is sky-high, and guns are far more likely to be abused than used for self defense. The idea that giving everyone a gun will "protect" the non-criminals from the criminals is ridiculous.

At what point does a non-criminal become a criminal? When the loving family man has a meltdown, grabs a gun and slaughters his family? When the neighborhood dispute gets out of hand? When the homeowner shoots an "intruder" who turns out to be his teenage son sneaking into the house after a party? When the bullied teenager gets hold of a gun and massacres his classmates? All have happened in America.

• No, but there should be more laws banning stupid people from procreating...

Do criminals register THEIR guns? No. So, why should it be so hard to own one? Knives don't need to be registered, neither do crossbows or baseball bats or tire irons, yet those kill just as effectively. I carry a gun to protect myself INCASE I need to. So, hy do I need to let everyone know I have one, so I can be challenged? So I can be stereotyped into people thinking I'm a criminal? Killing someone or peeing on a bush, you can still be arrested for each, but what will come to mind when you tell someone you were arrested, that you were eeing, or that you did something very bad? A gun should be for protection against those who want to harm me, cut and dry, there should be no other reason. If you want to buy ammo, you should need to show a two forms of picture ID including your driver's license, that's it. People can torch or grind off a bike lock, but it deters most would-be criminals. Look at the bait car show, if the car wasn't running with the door open, a lot of people wouldn't steal it. Most crimes are by opportunity and ease of execution. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, I don't care what kind of gun you have, .22 rimfire or an M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

• Gun ownership should not be limited.

Gun ownership should not be limited for a number of reasons. One of them witch is that guns are a right Americans have and have had since the beginning of the Constitution. People need guns for self defense. We can not live in a world where criminals illegally have guns and the everyday citizen does not have a way to defend themselves against criminals.

• Take guns from criminals not Law abiding citizens.

If there were more laws that forbid people from having guns, then once again, the law abiding citizens will be the only people following the law to avoid being prosecuted. The criminals will always find a way to illegally get weapons. This will leave the law abiding citizen unarmed against the common criminal. With no way to defend themselves or their family and possessions. It has the same scenario as bringing a knife to a gun fight. The new law in Georgia, that requires every law abiding citizen, who is the head of the household to have a gun. This will surely deter a good number of criminals, who by the way, do not want to get hurt, they are just being bullies, because they think they can get away with it. It is up to us to change the rules; to finally intimidate the criminals for a change.

• NO THEY SHOULD NOT

If people are willing to kill, and rob with guns then they are willing to lie and be able to get guns. This is pretty much only going to affect the people who are safe with the guns and all that. Thxs for listening to what I think about gun control.

• An eye for an eye.

So, when the citizens are disarmed in the future, who is going to take my gun away and how? I'm guessing it will be some sort of "police" force that will threaten me with a gun to take my gun. Look at prohibition on drugs. I bet you all could go out and find a bag of weed right now. Whoever wants to give up their rights, give them up. When the governing body turns on you and you try to run in my house for safety, I'm going to pop you in the head.

• There is no argument for it.

People are going to find a way to get guns, and hurt people just to get them. Either way, gun control laws aren't going to save everyone. It can impact people greatly, for example, the people who use guns to hunt for themselves and for survival. Also for the people who use guns to hunt animals down to sell in their shops. As well, many people use guns to protect their families.

• Guns are not the problem

Criminals are not following laws in the first place, to get a fully automatic gun you need a government issue level 3 license. and I seriously doubt they have those. Most guns that criminals obtain are from the street and buy it off the record. The people that commit murders is the problem here. If you ban guns then what are we going to have to protect ourselves with.

• No. Or else people are going to start dying.

There is a reason the Second Amendment reads "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". This is not "SHALL BE MODIFIED". It is "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." There IS no room for interpretation. If the government thinks they can take the weapons of good people, while they can't even grow some balls in the legislature and judiciary? They will get a fiery awakening. Alex Jones was QUITE correct on what will happen if guns become banned.

• Sadly this is not a perfect world, bad things happen.

With extreme gun control many people would be angry, this would lead to mobs, riots, increase in crime rates, and so on... We as many Americans who have grown up around guns know the dangers of them. Gun safety is taught more often than not, especial for hunting or protection purposes. However, some limits should be put on guns, but not enough to be overly extensive. In a large number of these shooting are done by the mentally ill. Which were 'black sheep' or people which were abused or rejected by people. Similar to serial killers, people can change their behavior to look perfectly normal, rather than that to a mass murder. It is a felony for a convict to have a gun on his person or in his car, which is in federal law. The 2nd Amendment states that 'the right to have and bear arms.' I understand the risks with weapons I.e. guns, but in the end the 'bad guys' will most likely get them anyway.

• I am safe.

I am safe with my gun. Not that I would try to kill someone. But if someone broke into my house I could shoot it in the air to scare them away. If attacked I'd shoot them in the leg. If someone had a gun at that movie theater or at another major shooting. The killer probably wouldn't have killed so many people. 2nd amendment! Cannot be taken away.

Anonymous says2013-02-15T05:09:22.603
If someone broke into my home and i caught him then yes I would want to be able to defend myself if he fought back, or at least restrain him and make a citizens arrest.

I do not however, see the need for violence for revenge's sake, or killing someone unless it was necessary to save your own life.

I also vehemently do not agree with the American frontier mentality of people having guns in their homes to "defend themselves". The gun homicide rate in the US is sky high and guns are far more likely to be abused than used for self defence. The idea that giving everyone a gun will "protect" the non-criminals from the criminals is ridiculous.

At what point does a non-criminal become a criminal? When the loving family man has a meltdown, grabs a gun and slaughters his family? When the neighbourhood dispute gets out of hand? When the homeowner shoots an "intruder" who turns out to be his teenage son sneaking into the house after a party? When the bullied teenager gets hold of a gun and massacres his classmates? All have happened in America.