Should learning a musical instrument be compulsory?

• Not too expensive

No one is saying that we all have to buy an expensive instrument like a piano or a cello but instead we can just buy a $15 recorder. See? The recorder is still an instrument but it’s not expensive like a piano or cello. Plus it’s great for kids with disabilities.

• Learning music is good

Music education builds neural connections within the brain connecting the two hemispheres. Additionally, it helps one become more ambidextrous and connect more parts of the brain.
    When a child is inspired to play music, the process of learning an instrument teaches long term pleasure and gratification.
    Although studying and practicing may be annoying, frustrating, and create anger at the instrument, in the long term, it makes people truly appreciate the beauty of the art of music.
    Think about it, if you hadn't played clarinet or saxophone and you heard some incredible solo, would you really appreciate it?
    Personally I stopped playing an instrument in eighth grade, but I am still inspired by those around me who stick with it.
    Playing an instrument makes you smarter, more relaxed, and creates more social connections. Even just listening to music does this. How could it not be good for you?

• Music is boring

Because it's boring you know because I started playing piano about two years ago and I hated it right from the start and forcing it on children will make the situation worse and exams put a lot of pressure on children that's why I'm going to quit this year yay!

• Yes, I think so.

Studies have shown that people who take music lessons have an IQ 4 points larger than people who don't. I play piano and I am doing very well in school. So yes, I would say that playing a musical instrument would be good for your education and everyone should do it. That is how I feel, I don't want to make anyone upset.

• Its better for kids

Music is far more important than other things, which is why we should encourage kids to play at least one instrument in their life. It relieves stress, helps you be smarter, and can help kids connect with each other. Instead of being glued to a screen, kids can interact with each other through music.

• Gives them a chance to focus on non-electronic society

With all this electronic gadgetry children should remember there's more to life than phones, tablets, computers, etc.
    They should be encouraged to listen to beautiful music, such as classical, as well as pop music. I myself am 40 now, but from a young age was encouraged to listen to music from Gershwin or Cole Porter. I found it wonderful. I still do.
    Playing music I learnt the flute, granted it wasn't 'my' instrument, I'd have liked to learn the saxophone

• Helps your brain

Relieves stress
    Researchers studying the benefits of music have reported that playing a musical instrument on a regular basis can help bring down stress. Studies show that playing an instrument helps in lowering the heart rate and blood pressure, which in turn lowers the stress hormone cortisol, thus making us feel relaxed. While just listening to music also helps, learning to play an instrument brings with it a comforting routine of daily practice that helps in keeping the stress hormones away.
    It makes you a smarter person
    People who have received a music education are generally smarter than their non-musical counterparts are. Extensive research done in this area has proved that children who learn to play a musical instrument do better in academics.
    Makes you a more sociable person
    Music helps you connect. Learning an instrument enlarges your social circle since you get to meet more people than you usually would. In children, music can help develop social skills.
    It develops discipline
    Music requires dedication and regular practice. Allotting a specific amount of time to practice music daily develops discipline in the learner. This can prove to be extremely advantageous in children.

• Helps you be confident

Relieves stress
    It makes you a smarter person
    Makes you a more sociable person
    It develops discipline

• Helps you be confident

Relieves stress
    It makes you a smarter person
    Makes you a more sociable person
    It develops discipline

• Makes the brain better

Relieves stress
    It makes you a smarter person
    Makes you a more sociable person
    It develops discipline

• L say NO

Parents have to pay money for their kids to go to music lesson and kids will have to get pulled ot of school just to practice their music lesson when they can be studying maths, science, HSIE and many more. These are my reasons why l think kids shouldn't get music lessons

• Let's face it. Why should anyone force anyone to learn music?

How productive is music to this society? I believe something should be compulsory only when you can't live without it. My life is perfectly normal for the past 24 years but I don't know how to play any music instrument. Forcing me to learn something I'm not interested in will just intervene with my normal life.

• Not Everyone is Musically Inclined

Not everyone should be required to learn a musical instrument because not everyone is musically inclined. Forcing an instrument upon someone is an unnecessary burdern that could provide no benefits to certain people. Therefore, only people that truly desire to learn a musical instrument should pick one up in today's world.

• It should be your choice

What are you going to do with such a skill? Are you going to play in church or be a concert pianist? That might not be your calling. Your calling might be that of a construction worker, a firefighter, a weather forecaster whatever. Even if you take it for just enjoyment or to play for others, it should not be forced on you.

• Not too expensive

• You shouldn't be forced to if you don't want to.

If you do not want to learn an instrument, no one should force you to. It can add a lot of stress, and hate too. You could be spending your time studying for your exams, instead of practicing your instrument. You could get frustrated, and get angry, thinking about what you could do instead of practicing your instrument.

• ITS bad for the enviroment

Imagine if everybody needed a piano or chello thats around 5-6 billion instruments to be made since a lot of people alreadfy have some having to make that many instruments would cost a lot of money and cut down billions of trees its also very expensive a chello can cost $1500 piano$3000 and violin $200-300 and this is for everyone in the world so for people who dont have that much money or have down syndrome or have spinal injuries it would be hard for those people so its not fair on everybody plus after the intial cost of the intrument you need to get lessons from some body of course you could get them on youtube but what happens if you dont have a computer do you have to get a permission slip to say you cant learn/play an instrument its unfair to the enviroment poor people and disabilitied people

• This is madness

I am a student. My district requires me to learn a musical instrument believe there are better things to deafer example instead of spending an hour each day playing your instrument,you can be spending your time studying for the test or quiz you have this week. I believe that students can choose to learn it if they want to

• People shouldn't learn a musical instrument it's poisonous

I started piano about two years ago you know and like I hated it from the start and the pieces were difficult it puts a lot of pressure on children and when exams happen they have to do a lot of practise and in order to practise and that costs parents a lot of money to buy the instruments and after they have finished it it will be a waste of money

• Music is boring