Should legal adults suffering from anorexia be force-fed even if they refuse the treatment?

• Force feeding might be necessary to keep an anorexic alive and allow them to receive treatment.

Anorexia is a psychological disorder and in most cases it takes a lot of counseling and therapy. If a person is severely malnourished, their mental functioning might be diminished and they won't benefit from counseling, or they might even die before counseling can do any good. So in some cases, if a person is in danger of dying if they don't get treatment, it would be necessary to force feed them to keep them alive.

Posted by: N Schroeder 60
  • Force feeding an anorexia patient is legal, as it is treating someone who is ill.

Someone who is going through anorexia is definitely ill, and if it gets to the point where the person is hospitalized because he refuses to eat, it would be unethical as well as illegal to not treat this person just as you would someone who is in automobile accident, who is a cancer patient, etc.

Posted by: Z Frye
  • Sister of anorexic

To all of you who say no - you clearly have never encountered an anorexic on the verge of death. My sister is 26, 5,7", and hovering around 60 pounds. This has been going on since she was 17, and she has been on a steady decline since then. But since she has been an "adult" my parents have been helpless to do anything. If you met her you would see the true definition of a mentally incompetent person. She has absolutely zero ability to make decisions - sure she might have the capacity to talk, but she cannot appreciate the consequences of her decisions. When we try to beg her to even go to the emergency room she turns into a crazed animal, with a raw, animalistic intense desire to protect her disease. It is almost as if she is demon-possessed. At this point she is so medically compromised that it is beyond reason to claim that she still has the mental ability to make decisions for herself. Her brain is not even getting enough nutrients to make decisions.until you have been in our shoes you will never be able to understand the absolute hell that family members go through when their hands are tied and they just have to watch their loved one slowly commit suicide. There has to be a change in the law that would allow parents to make the decision to have their adult child force-fed when they drop below a certain bmi - because at that point it truly is suicide.

• Adults suffering from anorexia should be force-fed even if they refuse treatment.

Anorexia is a very serious disease. Those who suffer from it do not always know the damage they can do. All they see when they look in the mirror is a "fat" body. Understanding the fact that they are anorexic and harming themselves is very seldom understood by the person with the disease. They do not know that if they continue on this path that death could and probably will occur. I guess if suicide is illegal then continuing on the path of anorexia would be suicide and therefore illegal and therefore should be treated even if treatment is refused.

Posted by: w00tboycomic
  • I support force feeding anorexics, it is for their well-being, they themselves be mentally unstable to decide what is best for them.

Anorexia is a serious disorder where an individual actually believes that they are not the right shape and so try to literally starve themselves to get fit. Even when they become underweight, they continue to see themselves as 'fat'. It is important to force feed these individuals otherwise they can starve themselves to the point of no recovery. Because they are in an unhealthy state of mind, it would not be in anyone's best interest to trust their judgment. These people need to be kept alive so that they can get the help they need and hopefully set on the right track.

Posted by: MyHier
  • Mental Illness causing fear of calories not life

Anorexia Nervosa is medically categorized as a mental illness. This means that those suffering from the disease lack the ability to tell what is good for them and what isn't. They can be sanctioned under the mental health act if they refuse treatment for this reason. If severe sufferers are left untreated then they risk death as a result of the illness. However, anorexia itself isn't a want to die - anorexia sufferers fear weight gain and calories not living and this is not to do with suicide.

• Mental Illness. Self harming. They don't have the mental ability to look after themselves.

A child doesn't have the ability to make safe decisions, so we have to make those decisions for them. Similarly an adult with a mental illness, is unable to look after themselves, so decisions need to be made on their behalf. If someone had a different mental illness, such as one that made them think it was safe to walk in traffic, you would feel obliged to restrain them from doing so, to prevent the risk of harm or death.
    Anorexia is a mental illness that makes the sufferer think it's okay to starve themselves, putting themselves in danger of serious harm or death, so likewise there is an obligation to make the decision for them.
    It may seem harder to force someone to do something (eat) than force them from doing something (walking in the road), but either way, you are acting in there best interest when they are mentally unable to do so.

• Anorexics can't think rationally.

Some anorexics even have voices in their head. They do not know what is good for them. They're COMPROMISED. Of course they should be force fed. It sounds harsh to say it, but you can't view them as ''normal adults with their own rights''. Some anorexics WISH they could eat, but they just can't. That's when they need treatment.

• Anorexia is a desiese which stops the person from king rational desicions about their health

Like with patients who are insane, if a person is not capable of making healthy judgements themselves then those judgments need to be made for them.

• I agree that anorexic legal adults should be force-fed for their own good, and to maintain their health and their lives.

I have trouble comprehending why an anorexic person would refuse any type of nutrition to help maintain their lives, noting that eating often makes them sick. Stating that, they should be force-fed in a professional medical atmosphere to make sure they will live. A person suffering from anorexia is so depleted and confused that they honestly don't know what is best for them, and would require immediate intervention in the way of getting a sustainable diet.

Posted by: RacialMorris27
  • They need to want the help

It's a mental illness, to help an anorexic you have to change how they think. If you force feed them you'll only make it worse. This has happened to me, I know. This guy I had a thing with was worried about me and tried to make me eat more, I appreciated his concern but I'd just feel worse after. Now I'm eating more by choice because he's help me mentally

• She is an adult

Forceing someone to eat could make them mentally ill aswell as physicaly I'll. It's there life and nobody should stand in there way no matter what. Cancer patients art forced to go to hospital so why should anorexics. It makes me agree hearing people saying they should be forced into eating 😠😡

• It's there health

I don't have anorexia but I think it's their body and there choice. Yes these people need help but we can't force them. They'll just go back to their original ways. It won't change there opinion as it will change there weight. It's more than that. Not that I know myself.

• Know one should ever be discriminated against for what they weigh. If you're seeking treatment great, if not that's also great.

Until obesity is forced into weight loss treatment centers, then why should the (for a lack of a better word) malnutritioned person be forced into weight gain treatment centers. Both are mental disorders. Both can be genetic. Both can kill. Both are measured by a BMI calculation. Both don't discriminate. I am male, I am comfortable with and being in MY BODY thin. I have just manipulated a system that manipulated me. I now carry around a scarlet letter on my medical records. The letter "A" for anorexia nervosa. All because societies scale says that I don't weigh enough. I literally had to manipulate by being forced to eat my way out of treatment. I am no better than when the Dr put me their. I was maintaining a weight, not gaining, not losing, but he decided to intervene. Now, I have decided to go back to my comfortable weight, that was not fluctuating, but by medical standards low. I got nothing out of treatment because I didn't want anything out of it. I went to the Dr because I broke a toe moving a piece of furniture, not for medical complications from anorexia. When can we just accept a person for who they are. I am not mental, I am not a label. I was just a person comfortable with me, being comfortable with you! It is my life and know person should intervene unless I ask. It is my life to take as far as I want, to be the person I want. I accept all responsibilities for my life. I know how things can turn out.

• Forcing leads to rebellion

Simple as That h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hbjbhbh hbjbhbh h j h b b b b b b b b b n b b. B b b b b b b b b b b b b b

• Forcing leads to rebellion

• An adult should never be forced into anything

As an 18 year old recovering anorexic, I know how it impacts your life firsthand. I used to be so thin I could not make proper decisions and I was on the verge of death. Although my parents had calls home and they know I have a past history with these issues, they never got me help. I chose to recover all by myself. I know that force feeding would benefit lots of people, but if I had been force fed I know I would have relapsed as soon as I could have. Recovering from an eating disorder is incredibly hard, and being forced into it doesn't help.

• You shouldn't force feed a person with anorexia

You shouldn't force feed them because it is going against there will they have an illness which is not cured easily, my mum has this illness and I sit there watching her everyday thinking in my head telling her to eat but you can't do that, you have to support them and help them get through this illness, force feeding should be banned and made illegal, they do not eat and force feeding them is going to make them worse and more determined to lose the weight from the food you have force fed them