• Kids in general

If kids are struggling and trying their hardest but still getting f,s then they shouldn't be based on f's, rather than trying their hardest that's what should count and f's shouldnt have a percentage for example 33.43 percent is an f but so is 55.73 percent that's still an f. That right there shows improvement by a perventage. If they keep the letters it should just be A thru D that way all kids still pass but they feel better about their selves if they come home with straight C's then the kid would show that he is doing great and he is average. The parents would be happy to and if both the kid and parents are happy then before you know it the kids may be getting B's or even A's instead of keeping keeps behind and failing and then throwing them into dt for failing or getting dcfs involved for failing grades,loosing kids over failing grades or locking up parents and taking kids away and throwing them into foster care. Each child should get a chance to pass when they are trying their hardest.

• It should be eliminated because they don't state anything.

They should be eliminated because they don't do anything. You could be really good at your homework and have a A in that class. And then when a test comes up, you get a D. And it brings your grade down to a C or D. That isn't right. Grades don't tell anything to you or anyone else

• Accurate and easy to understand

Letter grades are not more accurate than percentages; an A could be 95% to 100%, and to me, a 100% should be instantly recognizable, not shrouded by a letter. Percentages are easy to calculate; you can determine points based on a rubric, and assign points accordingly. Letter grades are more general; you don't involve numbers, so there is no way to logically and mathematically explain the grade, it is just what the teacher feels like.

• They should be eliminated

They don't show where u need to improve. They are just broad topics. Number grading system is the best, which also shows where you need to improve. There should not b a letter grading system, only number grading system. Why use letter grade when they dont tell you what you should improve on.

• Yes they should be

Why do we need grades? It causes a wall that pressures that student to do more and create eventual depression in some people. It is also the result to suicides in life. I say we get rid of the grades and just have a report made by a teacher in words.

• They are Stupid

They cannot show any improvement for a student (an 81 to an 83 is still the same letter grade). It could get a kid in trouble - 93 is an A- when its almost an A. They are bars because they don't show areas where you should improve. Teeehee hi

• Can't compare with students in other schools

Different schools have different standards for the letters. In some schools, A stands for 90%; others may be 85%. If all the schools use letters to grade students, it's hard to compare students' academic performance among different schools. If schools use percentage to grade students, this problem will be solved.

• Letter grades are just a wide summary.

Letter grades only tell kids the range that they are scoring in and not exactly how they are doing. If a student tries their hardest but scores a D, that just shows that student, their parents, and peers that they scored a D, but if the teacher gives the student an oral evaluation, only the student knows how they are doing and doesn't give eveyone a way to catagorize them.

• There is no point in letter grades.

Every day, i see students getting stressed because of their grades. Wouldn't you be happier with just a percentage grade? Knowing that's your grade isn't so terrible or not knowing at all, is so much better than being defined by a letter. Not having letter grades will boost students confidence.

• What's the point?

Okay, we all know that kids are stressing to get a certain letter in school. They are seriously stressing over getting their goal of achieving a letter grade! But seriously, is this showing growth? School is about extending your abilities, learning something new! The letter grades are simply useless! If you have a child in a class who gets everything, are they growing? What about if you have a child who is struggling, and studies every night, to only get a 'D' on their quiz! You know as well as I do that getting an F before the unit, and then getting a D is a huge improvement, especially for those who study the most. Letter grades should be eliminated, but they should be replaced by a growth amount.

• Accuracy and obscurity

Letter grades help determine a student's performance. This method of grading is effective, and accurate. Students should have a way of differentiating between each other. This is an improvement from the systems before, giving a simple "pass" or "fail." This grading system equalized all those who tried and failed, and those who simply did not try at all.

• Why not have both

My kids ES switched to no-letter grades and I hate it. The terms "Approaches", "Meets", or "Exceeds" Standards is difficult for me to explains to my daughter, then throw in "Not currently being evaluated" and I lose her completely. As I understand it, these descriptions apply to what they are expected to know at the end of the school year. So all year she could be "Approaching" standard until the end of the year when she "Meets" or "Exceeds". It doesn't tell me how she did for each report card period. I believe that this information should be provided in addition to a letter grade. It is easier for an ES student to understand the letter grades and the detailed information is great for parents so we can help our kids. I asked our principle why they stopped letter grades and her response had to do with the lower level kids self esteem issues crap (my wording, her's was more politically correct). I get it to a point, but am not in full agreement with it. I want my kids to see where they rank among their peers. To try harder to gets A's or B's. And not to settle with C, D or F. That there are winners and losers. OK I'll stay away from the whole "no score and trophies for everyone" little league issue. And I'll concede that not all parents are as involved with their kids education as we are. But where is it going to end. We just keep dumbing down our school system until we get to a point where we have the "right" number of kids that get a diploma

• We need grades!

Grades encourage students to do better and learn the concept more. If there were no grades students wouldn't try. There would also be no way to monitor what level classes or types of schools students should go into. Students need grades in order to get motivated and to do well.

• More Accurate System

Letter Grades, being more accurate, will tell students where they are better. I see nothing wrong with giving percents as a system since there as accurate as letter grades (plus you can do math with your score to tell what percent you got). But the problem is the school counties. They change to NUMBERS, not the percentage. A 4 is 85% - 100% at my school while an A+ was 96% - 100% back with letter grades.

• Don't eliminate letter grades!

If children get bad letter grades, they will be motivated to work harder to get better letter grades. Letter grades also show how well a student is doing at school. A high score on tests would mean a better letter grade while a low score would mean a worse grade. Letter grades give an accurate score. They shouldn't be eliminated.

• Really Easy to Understand

Letter grades are more accurate than number grades for 1 reason only, Since there are more letters to use to grade someone than actual numbers the grading turns out to be more accurate. This is why the letter grades should NOT be eliminated. Have a good evening :) :) :)

• No grades shown

Grades give students a look at how they are doing in school. They tell students what to work on and what they are great at. Grades are important in letting students know how they can improve. Grades are a check in for teachers and for students. Teachers can figure out how to improve that particular students grades.

• Letter grades for the go!!!

With letter grades, the child understands what each letter means and about what percentage he or she got. Letter grades are also easier to strive for and are better for a child to process mentally. Letter grades have been around for so long that the child knows what each letter means and what they have to do to get better grades.

• Number grading is confusing

In my school we have a number grading system with 4, 3, 2 and 1's. Fours are 98% to 100% and A's are 90% to 100%. My parents think that A's are the same as 4's but there is a big difference. A 4 is much harder to get than an A.

• Letter grades can become a problem

Letter grades tell you the average achievement on a test or quiz. Some people who improved on a test or a quiz, but still got the F grade because he didn't meet all the requirements. This makes the person sad, they studied really hard and improved but still didn't reach the requirements to get a better grade.