• Grades simply are examples of what you learned at that time.

If I learn how to be a public speaker at day 1 in the class I would not be nearly as good as a student who just finished the course. Grades if used should be sum up, and only given at the last week of a class. An overall summery of the knowledge learned.

• removed from schools

I personally agree,Okay, we all know that kids are stressing to get a certain letter in school. They are seriously stressing over getting their goal of achieving a letter grade! But seriously, is this showing growth? School is about extending your abilities, learning something new! The letter grades are simply useless! If you have a child in a class who gets everything, are they growing? What about if you have a child who is struggling, and studies every night, to only get a 'D' on their quiz! You know as well as I do that getting an F before the unit, and then getting a D is a huge improvement, especially for those who study the most. Letter grades should be eliminated, but they should be replaced by a growth amount.

• No, they should not.

Letter grades are good, I believe. A student and their parent needs to know where the kid stands academically. If not, everyone is treated as if they are doing exactly the same, and unless the entire real world becomes this way, it teaches these kids to be deluded and not try hard enough.

• No, letter grades have their place.

While letter grades should be de-emphasized, they do not need to be removed completely. Letter grades are good for finding a general curve of how well students are understanding material and seeing who needs individual help. However, letter grades need to be supplemented with objective grades that take into account things like effort and improvement.

• Letter grades should stay

Letter grades should not be removed from school because if they were the students would not get an accurate description of how they are doing in school. Some educators do want to do away with letter grades but this is because they would not have to be responsible for a poor students progress.

• Letter grades provide structure and achievable goals

I remember when I was a child the first time that I received an "O" for outstanding in the 3rd grade. It was in spelling. To that point I has always only received "S"'s for satisfactory or "N"'s for needs improvement. When I got that first "O" I felt as though i had truly achieved something. If we eliminate letter grades we take away the tangible ability for a child to see the reward for their hard work. It also gives structure to the children's lives and allows for tangible evidence to see whether or not learning has been achieved.