• False Sense of Democracy

In reality we are living in a plutocratic state- where we are governed by the wealthy was opposed to our "democracy" we supposedly live under. In the early 20th Century we were given "equal voting rights" and rich people were no longer allowed to have more votes than the poor. But now with the help of lobbyists votes are still moreso geared towards the interest of those with wealth and power. For more info watch The Four Horseman Documentary. Great Info

• The politically correct term for corruption is all it is

Lobbyists bribe politicians with free vacations (conferences), food at expensive restaurants (meetings), ext. It is just like Congress being allowed to buy stock is asking for corruption based on gains received on government contracts. Why else do all these politicians have stock in defense contract companies before their first government contract?

• Lobbying feeds the one percent, at the expense of the common people.

It is to blame for innumerable tremendous diservices to the public in buying votes for and against whatever would help or hurt the powerful companies that fund whatever lobby in question. Rest assured as long as this is part of politics, the true interests of the public, the very people whose interests should be considered and protected at every turn, will never be considered foremost in crucial decisions that affect every American. Government should be by the people, for the people. Not bought by big money for big money.

• It is bribery

At least in my vision, bribery is the basic definition and qualification of a corrupt government, lobbying can also be considered blackmail, allow me to explain. They might not be saying this or intend it to be like that but a lobbyist present is like someone saying "I'm not leaving until you do what I want" and it might sound like a sit-in, but keep in mind, this is the u.s. Government we are talking about. And don't even get me starred on those bill attachment which give money to companies...

• It only helps Corporations and Banks, not the majority

Corporations exist to make a profit for themselves and their shareholders and that is fine in the private sector, but when they have access to own our government, they continue with that same thought process not realizing or not caring that there are millions of other Americans in this country too. It is not supposed to be a Government for the Shareholders and CEO's and by the shareholders and CEO and for the shareholders and CEO's. It is supposed to be a Government for all Americans

• Very little good, lots of bad

Lobbying, in its current form, is a huge negative. Very little is done in the interest of "the people". In fact, lobbying seems to primarily be concerned with separating the general public from their money, and giving that money to big corporations. Lobbying is nothing more than investing for special interest. Lobbyists and organizations give large sums of money in support of election campaigns in order to sway politician votes. I'm not sure when we decided that buying votes was a positive for the country. While I'm sure it's a positive for a select few, I'm equally certain that it's a negative for the country as a whole. Eliminating the harm caused by lobbying and special interest groups through ending it totally vastly outweighs the loss of a small amount of good that is occasionally done via lobbying. I believe lobbying is a core component of political corruption, and any politician taking money from these groups is corrupt in my opinion.

• Very little good, lots of bad

• Ban lobbying by profit making entities

It's simple - lobbying by profit making entities - corporations and businesses - should be made illegal, whilst non-profits, charities and voluntary agencies can still lobby governments with the same powers they currently have. The ONLY reason corporations lobby government is for profit, and in almost all cases against the public interest.

• Ever heard of "Takes Money to Make Money"?

Lobbying, There is not one positive reason for its' existence. If you can come up with ONE, you're probably a lobbyist or someone that uses money to buy influence. Seriously, I challenge you: Give me ONE positive reason for the practice of lobbying... I'll wait.

Have you figured it out yet?

• Defeats all purpose

What is the point of bringing something to congress, say "Universal Healthcare" if some ass hat from a private company is just going to slip a thick stack of hundreds into a big guy's pocket so he will vote in the ass hats favor. If we're gonna keep lobbyists we might as well not have a vote.

• Lobbying should not be banned,

Because it keeps the balance between the interest of the members of Congress, who are not in accordance with their constituents all the time, and the public interest. In spite of having elected a representative to represent us in Congress we should not be disentitled of our constitutional right to petition our grievances.
    The way it is done today with big corporations paying lobbying groups for enforcing/holding back a certain piece of legislation that would benefit/hurt them does not seem very democratic because this course of dealing disadvantages those folks who cannot afford to hire their own lobbyists. Also, they do not have the means to make big campaign contributions that would affect a representative's decision making.
    But apart from the unfairness of it there is also the aspect of transparency. I think we as voters have the right to know where the campaign contributions of the candidates running for an office originate from. So that we can make a healthy decision about our vote based on what we know about the various interest groups that exert influence on the candidate we are planning to vote for.

• Lobbying is protected by the 1st amendment.

The 1st amendment preserves our right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. This means that if there is something that I don't like, I can petition the government to change it. If I don't have time to petition the government myself, I pay someone else to do it. This is lobbying. For example, when you join the NRA you are paying them to lobby on your behalf. Also, not all lobbying is done by big oil companies. Ralph Nader, among others, lobbied for consumer protection, humanitarianism, and environmentalism.

• No, there should not be a ban on lobbying in politics.

Lobbying does a lot for the American people that they fail to realized, but it also does a lot to the detriment of our society. Lobbyists come from every industry, big businesses, medical research, and education. It is a way for these professions to be heard by the powers that be. Unfortunately, lobbyists for big business and national interest groups consistently abuse their position by offering millions and millions of dollars to both politicians and political campaigns. Every single dollar that goes into the coffers of a political campaign should be account for and traced back to where it came from and be made public knowledge. Don't want the American people knowing where your money came from? That, in and of itself shows that you are not working for the interest of the American people and you should not be allowed to run for a government position.

• No, lobbying should not be banned from politics.

Lobbying itself can serve for many good purposes. The problem is that lobbying is used unethically by many people to secure interests only for them, which might be disadvantageous to others. Therefore, good regulation is needed for the lobbying to be practiced fairly. Banning is not a solution to deal with the problems caused by lobbying.

• No, Lobbyists Perform A Service

No, lobbying should not be banned from politics – but it does need to have some controls put in place and enforced. Lobbyists represent more than just big business - they represent corporations, the medical profession, teachers and professors among many other organizations. Because of the sheer size and complexity of government, lobbyists perform a vital service by educating both the government and the public about their particular organization and its interests. Lobbyists bring issues out in the open and mount campaigns. It is only when lobbyists overstep their ground by using lavish gifts to sway a decision that they become a bad thing.