• Very little good, lots of bad

Lobbying, in its current form, is a huge negative. Very little is done in the interest of "the people". In fact, lobbying seems to primarily be concerned with separating the general public from their money, and giving that money to big corporations. Lobbying is nothing more than investing for special interest. Lobbyists and organizations give large sums of money in support of election campaigns in order to sway politician votes. I'm not sure when we decided that buying votes was a positive for the country. While I'm sure it's a positive for a select few, I'm equally certain that it's a negative for the country as a whole. Eliminating the harm caused by lobbying and special interest groups through ending it totally vastly outweighs the loss of a small amount of good that is occasionally done via lobbying. I believe lobbying is a core component of political corruption, and any politician taking money from these groups is corrupt in my opinion.

• Very little good, lots of bad

• Ban lobbying by profit making entities

It's simple - lobbying by profit making entities - corporations and businesses - should be made illegal, whilst non-profits, charities and voluntary agencies can still lobby governments with the same powers they currently have. The ONLY reason corporations lobby government is for profit, and in almost all cases against the public interest.

• Ever heard of "Takes Money to Make Money"?

Lobbying, There is not one positive reason for its' existence. If you can come up with ONE, you're probably a lobbyist or someone that uses money to buy influence. Seriously, I challenge you: Give me ONE positive reason for the practice of lobbying... I'll wait.

Have you figured it out yet?

• Defeats all purpose

What is the point of bringing something to congress, say "Universal Healthcare" if some ass hat from a private company is just going to slip a thick stack of hundreds into a big guy's pocket so he will vote in the ass hats favor. If we're gonna keep lobbyists we might as well not have a vote.

• They are the evil of American government

What lobbyist do is make a case in the interest of big business for congress and other governing bodies. They spread misinformation and lies. They work against the best interest for the people just so the company they represent can make a buck. Because of them, we have a thriving tobacco industry and we no longer have net neutrality.

• Stop money and power grabbing

Historically, the only reason lobbyists push their agendas is for their own selfish gain. Net Neutrality, TPP, etc. are perfect examples of this despicable approach to politics within what is supposed to be a REPUBLIC GOVERNED BY THE PEOPLE, and NOT money-hungry corporations paying people to push their agendas. It is no better than bribery, and is a stain on what this country is supposed to stand for.

• Lobbying was created with good intentions, but greed entered it.

The idea of lobbying is democratic, bringing many different players to discuss particular views and interests. However, Lobbying in practice only gives the biggest and deepest pockets the greatest advantage and leaves the little guys begging for oxygen. I prefer writing letters/sending materials (with a limit) to be taken into consideration during the legislative process.

• Prevents government progress

Many things that have been shot down in government has been because of lobbysists. While lobbyists should represent the interests of some groups, they are making certain things more possible due to promised funding. This is essentially bribery. Simply looking at the medical field, there are many new vaccines that could prevent many diseases from taking hold. But many lobbyists are able to get vaccines shot down, simply because the treatment is more profitable than the cure. Lobbyists should go the same route the rest of us do. Take money out of the equation, and let democracy actually work.

• Lobbying should not be banned,

Because it keeps the balance between the interest of the members of Congress, who are not in accordance with their constituents all the time, and the public interest. In spite of having elected a representative to represent us in Congress we should not be disentitled of our constitutional right to petition our grievances.
    The way it is done today with big corporations paying lobbying groups for enforcing/holding back a certain piece of legislation that would benefit/hurt them does not seem very democratic because this course of dealing disadvantages those folks who cannot afford to hire their own lobbyists. Also, they do not have the means to make big campaign contributions that would affect a representative's decision making.
    But apart from the unfairness of it there is also the aspect of transparency. I think we as voters have the right to know where the campaign contributions of the candidates running for an office originate from. So that we can make a healthy decision about our vote based on what we know about the various interest groups that exert influence on the candidate we are planning to vote for.

• Lobbying is protected by the 1st amendment.

The 1st amendment preserves our right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. This means that if there is something that I don't like, I can petition the government to change it. If I don't have time to petition the government myself, I pay someone else to do it. This is lobbying. For example, when you join the NRA you are paying them to lobby on your behalf. Also, not all lobbying is done by big oil companies. Ralph Nader, among others, lobbied for consumer protection, humanitarianism, and environmentalism.

• No, there should not be a ban on lobbying in politics.

Lobbying does a lot for the American people that they fail to realized, but it also does a lot to the detriment of our society. Lobbyists come from every industry, big businesses, medical research, and education. It is a way for these professions to be heard by the powers that be. Unfortunately, lobbyists for big business and national interest groups consistently abuse their position by offering millions and millions of dollars to both politicians and political campaigns. Every single dollar that goes into the coffers of a political campaign should be account for and traced back to where it came from and be made public knowledge. Don't want the American people knowing where your money came from? That, in and of itself shows that you are not working for the interest of the American people and you should not be allowed to run for a government position.

• No, lobbying should not be banned from politics.

Lobbying itself can serve for many good purposes. The problem is that lobbying is used unethically by many people to secure interests only for them, which might be disadvantageous to others. Therefore, good regulation is needed for the lobbying to be practiced fairly. Banning is not a solution to deal with the problems caused by lobbying.

• No, Lobbyists Perform A Service

No, lobbying should not be banned from politics – but it does need to have some controls put in place and enforced. Lobbyists represent more than just big business - they represent corporations, the medical profession, teachers and professors among many other organizations. Because of the sheer size and complexity of government, lobbyists perform a vital service by educating both the government and the public about their particular organization and its interests. Lobbyists bring issues out in the open and mount campaigns. It is only when lobbyists overstep their ground by using lavish gifts to sway a decision that they become a bad thing.