Should Lucasfilm attempt to block a trademark on one of Empire Brewery Co.'s signature beers, "Strikes Bock"?

• Companies must protect their image and trademarks

Lucasfilm should attempt to block Empire Brewery's attempt to call a beer "Strikes Bock". It is important that Lucasfilm protects the image it has created for Star Wars, as a family friendly franchise, and not associate it with alcohol or other products that may be harmful to children. If they allow this to go ahead it will be a slippery slope that results in great confusion about what is appropriate to associate with Lucasfilm and Star Wars

• No, I don't think that they should attempt to block a trademark

No, I dont think that they should attempt to block a trademakr on one of Empire Brewery Co.'s signature beers, because if it is Empire Brewery's beer then leave it at that. I don't see any reason why they should have to block a trademark for it. I think it would just cause unneeded hassle.

• It is a no win situation for Lucasfilm to attempt to block "Strikes Bock."

It would be a very costly court battle if Lucasfilm went after Empire Brewery for "Strikes Bock." The changes have been enough that attorneys would argue for weeks, if not months with the clock rolling for their pay. The final decision would be similar to playing roulette. It could go either way, but the winners would be the attorneys.

• Lucasfilm should not attempt to block a trademark on one of Empire Brewery Co.'s signature beers, "Strikes Bock."

If anything, Empire's "Strikes Bock" beer is a salute or tribute to the Star Wars movie of a similar title. Purchasers and consumers of the beer will in no way reduce profits or sales to Lucasfilm or any of its enterprises. If anything, Lucasfilm might be wise to attempt to broker a licansing deal with Empire, in order that both companies might profit from the product's success.