Should mandatory confinement occur when a patient reaches one of the advanced Alzheimer's disease stages?

• Yes it should.

I think once a patient has reached a certain stage of Alzheimer's the patient needs to be confined because they can become a danger to themselves and to anyone who comes near them. It is not to be mean or cruel but to better protect them and keep them safe and free from harm.

• Some people prefer to keep Alzheimer's patients at home.

Confinement should never be mandatory for Alzheimer patients unless it is at the request of the family. Caring for an Alzheimer's patient can be difficult and not every family is equipped to take on that responsibility but they should always be given that choice. If a family is willing and able to care for their Alzheimer's patient, it is better for everyone involved to keep that person at home around people who love him or her.

• It really depends

If their relatives are taking good care of them and have them under control then no. In some situations that may be necessary.

I would hate to live like that under mandatory confinement or not. The real issue that needs to be addressed is allowing people to specify euthanasia in their living wills. If I had Alzheimer's I would want to be giving a massive dose of a pill to put me to sleep forever when I reached the advanced stages.

That should be a personal choice expressed through a living will, but it should be a choice.

• Mandatory confinement should not occur when a patient reaches one of the advanced Alzheimer's disease stages.

Mandatory confinement should not occur when a patient reaches one of the advanced Alzheimer's disease stages. We should not be locking people up because they are getting an advanced disease of any kind unless it is contagious and putting others at risk. These people are everyday people and they deserve respect and fair treatment.

• No but special care is needed

I do not believe in mandatory confinement for any individual who has done nothing wrong. Yes at the late stages the disease changes a lot about them and can make them very vulnerable, but I believe proper care is needed, not confinement. They need to be shown compassion in the tough times.

• It should be handled individually.

No, mandatory confinement should not occur when a patient reached an advanced stage of Alzheimer's disease, because that is not a humane way to treat people. Each person needs to be cared for on an individual basis. We do not categorically lock people up depending on how their medical conditions are labeled. Each person needs their own hearing to determine their best interests.