Should Mariano Rivera be the first to receive a 100% Hall of Fame vote?

Asked by: xxpauliegunzxx
  • The best ever

Name a better closer in baseball history. Highest era+ in history and by a huge margin! Already voted the greatest pitcher in the 2000's. Just look at the respect the other allstars showed him at his last allstar game in 2013. Those who played with him and against him know he was the greatest at what he did. The only area where he could have been better was holding runners on-not the best pickoff move. But he was like a cat on the mound as far a defensive skills. The question I have is this: give a reason not to vote for him.........Still thinking...........I didn't think so!

• Greatest closer ever; best in the biggest moments

No one has ever done this job better than Mo. On top of his absolute dominance, he was as classy, as dignified a player as Major League Baseball has ever seen. If there's a definition of playing the game "the right way," it's Mariano Rivera. No negatives. There's not a single reason to withhold your vote.

• Hof or not

Who can give a reason that rivera does not belong in the Hall! Best era outside of the dead ball era. Best era+. Best whip in history except for two in the dead ball era. Most saves. Excellence for 19 seasons. Greatest at what he does! The only objections seem to be whether he should be whether it is 100% since it has never been done-poor excuse to leave the greatest by far at his position off your ballot.

• Closer Hardest Job for a pitcher.

A starter's job is way easier than a closer. A starter can make mistake but a closer cannot not. Example: if a starter hangs one in the first inning and the hitter hits it for a home-run he still has a chance to remedy the mistake. All he has to do is make sure no one else gets on and hope the offense gets some runs in. A closer you make even 1 mistake game over, no chance to remedy the mistake because its game over.

• Amazing player and person

The same way PEDs ruin baseball we need to appreciate the people and player that keep the integrity alive. He deserves it on his stats alone however how many kids want to be like Rivera now instead of arod, or Jeter instead of Manny Ramirez. Standing behind Rivera on the day of the vote shows the world that we stand by players who make the game what it's supposed to be, that you can do it without PEDs. It was a pleasure to watch Rivera and Jeter. I can only hope I see one more player like them in my lifetime to show my kids how real baseball is played

• He deserves 100%

Certainly many other players have earned 100% of the votes, right from the beginning. How any right-minded sportsman can deny the credentials of Cobb, Ruth and Gehrig is beyond me. Absolutely no reason to continue the foolishness. Mariano was clearly the very best and consistently proved the same under the most intense lights ever. Others APPROXIMATED his numbers but Mariano is defined by his post-season brilliance - again and again and again. How many seasons did Mariano get the Yankees into the post-season? How many managers changed their approach to playing the Yanks because Rivera covered the 9th so dominantly? Consider the honors bestowed upon him by his competition - how many others can lay claim to the same? And for so many good reasons on and off the field? RIVERA DESERVES. Many others did too, but I can think of no player in history better qualified to be the first with 100%.

• This is a joke right?

Not having an excellent closer can ruin the game for a team. Mo has proved that he is the best ever at his position. I am only 21 and I highly doubt that I will see a person dominate their position like Mo has in my lifetime. It was a true joy to watch him pitch.

• This is a joke right?

• Best Closer Yet

There is no classier player or better closer to have played the game, and to top it off he did it without the help of steroids and this is coming from someone who is a blue jays fan! In my opinion there is no doubt that he should be in the hall with a 100% vote!

• Put him in a tie game, or fifth inning and see...

A good pitcher, indeed. Unanimous? Hardly! Rivera had success ONLY because his team had three-run leads in the ninth to give him those treasured 'three out saves.'
    It is laughable because of the 'baseball tradition' or being all-around-batting, fielding. Playing about 6% of a team's innings hardly fits this description.
    Rivera just sat on his butt for seven innings each game, reading fashion magazines and filing his nails, and if his team was losing, oh well!
    If he played for the 2003 Detroit Tigers he would have had a six-month summer vacation.
    The same people who scream about the DH are the same ones going ga-ga over this guy.

• No, there are many good players.

No, Mariano Rivera should not be the first to receive a 100% Hall of Fame vote, because there are many good players that are deserving. Mariano Rivera can hardly be compared to the baseball legends. He has been very successful but the Yankees have a strong team in general. He does not carry the team alone.

• He is a closer!

A closer pitches around 65 innings per year. They only come into the game when there is a lead, and with no one on base. While he was a good closer, that does not say much - others have the same year by year stats as him. The two things he has going for him is that he played in the biggest market, when they were the best team in baseball, and his longevity.
    Considering 2 of the best players in the second half of the 20th century are not in the HOF (Bonds and Rose) it doesn't mean too much either way.

• Not as good as other players.

Babe Ruth did not get 100% Hall of Fame votes and Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player ever so Mr. Rivera should not get 100% Hall of Fame votes. Dont get me wrong, Mr. Rivera is good and all, but he is not 100% a Hall of Famer.

• No he shouldn't

While being a great relief pitcher, the job of a starting pitcher is much harder. He has to pitch one inning, two at the most, a starter is expected a minimum of six innings. If there is a player in recent years deserving the 100% HOF vote, it's Greg Maddux. Don't get me wrong, Rivera is great at what he does. But the job of a starter is much harder than that of a closer.

• In response to the question literally, no

There should have already been several to get a 100% vote, but old baseball writers pull out the "____ didn't get 100% so nobody can" card and don't vote for people because of stupid backwards tradition. Rivera deserves 100%, he's the best closer that's ever pitched, but he shouldn't be the first because it should have already happened multiple times.