Should marijuana be classified as a Schedule I drug?

• Marijuana should be classified as a schedule one drug.

The reasons behind my argument are : 1) it is addictive 2) it causes individuals to be less motivated 3) it has long term effects that cause your brain to show signs of schizophrenia 4) it shows signs of negatively effecting your Motor skills ex: people who are stoned have much slower reactions then those who are not. 5) Some facts from drugabuse.Gov :

Marijuana overactivates the endocannabinoid system, causing the “high” and other effects that users experience. These effects include altered perceptions and mood, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory.

Marijuana also affects brain development, and when it is used heavily by young people, its effects on thinking and memory may last a long time or even be permanent. A recent study of marijuana users who began using in adolescence revealed substantially reduced connectivity among brain areas responsible for learning and memory. And a large long-term study in New Zealand showed that people who began smoking marijuana heavily in their teens lost an average of 8 points in IQ between age 13 and age 38. Importantly, the lost cognitive abilities were not fully restored in those who quit smoking marijuana as adults.

Marijuana smoke is an irritant to the lungs, and frequent marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems experienced by tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. "

There is a reason marijuana is illegal and I believe it should stay illegal.
    I used to smoke marijuana. I agree that it does help with nausea and a lost appetite but the good DOES NOT weigh out the bad.

• I say yes.

Marijuana is a drug that is not safe. Regardless of what the weed lobby wants you to think, it is not something fit for human consumption. We do not know what kind of effects this drug has on people yet, and it should remain a schedule one drug at all times.

• Yes, in the opinion of Doctors

Marijuana is a very harmful drug. This has been proven over and over again. We have an epidemic use of marijuana in our grade and high schools. Psychologists and Medical Doctors are very much in agreement about the addictive nature of this drug, despite organization like NORML. And, most people in jail on marijuana charges are not in jail because of simple possession. They are harden criminals that did other crimes, including selling to minors.

• Yes, marijuana should be classified as a schedule 1 drug.

I understand it is an herb, and it is better than they synthetic drugs they have out now, but it is still a very addictive drug. There is no reason for a person to try and numb their brains, and that is what mj does. It puts you in a euphoria state and that can lead to accidents. No, people don't die from mj, but the effect it has on a person can.

• We need the ability to study cannabis in the US!

Schedule I refers to a substance that has NO medical benefits. There are numerous Israeli studies that have ALREADY proved this wrong. Please Google Israeli marijuana studies. It is absurd that marijuana is a higher schedule than cocaine and even fentanyl. How many opioid overdoses has this country been suffering? It is the LEADING cause of death for those under 50 in our country. Marijuana deaths = zero. Impossible to overdose. The system is so broken, and so many nonviolent offenders are overflowing our prisons for marijuana possession. The penalty for a DUI is less than most of the past possession charges, and these people are still sitting behind bars. We need change, and quickly. These laws are SO old fashioned and have absolutely no bearing on what we already know to be true about CBD and THC therapy. I strongly believe with proper studies we can cure many mental disorders, including the opioid epidemic. This is the answer to our prayers and we are being banned from it. Ridiculous.

• The Classification is Wrong and based on Politics.

Marijuana has been proven NOT to have the negative effects (addiction) associated with the other Schedule 1 drugs. Additionally there's evidence that it has medicinal value.

The DEA loves Marijuana mainly because it's a cash cow for their failed Drug War. They along with the major Drug Lords have no interest in re-classification as it will reduce profits.

Legalize it for adults and tax it.

• Everything to Moderation

So many points:
    Nixon made pot a Schedule 1 drug against the advice of the AMA and the Shafer Commission he appointed.
    Our founding fathers grew pot, and it was mandatory crop during WWII.
    Much less harmful than alcohol.
    Medicinal (duh).
    Not as addictive as nearly any other drug.
    Less impact on the environment (for paper and other uses).
    Will of the governed/citizens.

• Marijuana should be schedule III

Why? Look up what the hell a schedule I drug is genius. Then look up the many medicinal benefits of marijuana. Next look up the following people: Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, LeBron James, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey etc. etc. Why don't you just bother typing up 'famous people who smoked weed' or 'Colorado' or 'California' or 'Washington D.C.' or look up the percentages that you have consumed marijuana in your life.

• Absolutely 100% no

Alcohol and Tobacco are highly addictive and have ZERO MEDICAL USE. They cause a variety of cancers which lead to thousands of deaths per year. Do some reaearch and see how many people die per year from marijuana use...NONE! In addition, I have started to see an uptake of disabled children with violent seizures using CBD to calm the attacks. It also helps sick children get off those damn prescription pills that destroy them internally. Grown adults that have Parkinsons disease use cannabis to stop the uncontrollable shaking. Cancer patients use the drug to help cope with the chemotherapy. YET it is a schedule I?! This has to do with some greedy assholes looking to keep the pharmaceutical industry relevant and keep people addicted to prescription meds.

This is all okay! As time passes by, all these idiots opposing removal from Schedule I will fade away. Although we might have a shithead president and retarded Attorney General, our country is moving towards a revolution. Every year, more states are legalizing cannabis. This positive outlook on cannabis is occurring because the baby boomers and big pharmaceutical conpanies are slowly losing their voice within society. The Anti Marijuana rhetoric taught to them as children will no longer be relevant. Lets continue to push and someday, we will look back and laugh at all this crap.

• Cannabis has medicinal uses.

At present I take highly addictive opioids to control my pain levels. When I had the opportunity to use cannabis, black market bought, it enabled me to use less opioids. Due to my being on pain management my being able to use cannabis is "strictly prohibited." That's a farce which needs to end!

• CBD OIL!!! -doesnt get you high, non addictive.

Besides the well stated facts that many sick people benefit the use of medicinal marijuana, alongside the fact that marijuana is safer than prescriptions, alcohol and tobacco, i want to point out some less obvious things.

Because marijuana is a plant, no one can claim rights and therefore profit.

We know marijuana is a schedule one drug. This is the definition: "The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S."

we know this is false. There is much proven evidence of medicinal benifits of medicinal Marijuana not to mention CBD oil (doesnt get you high, non addictive).
    The point here is that it about $$$. Because the medical industry will not benefit from home grown treatments and therapies, it is to its benefit the drug remain illegal. (even though its been attempted to synthesize marijuana in the lab, the effects not the same as the plant itself.

Tobacco and alcohol are legal. Dont get me wrong i am glad they are, but this point adds testament to the hypocrisy of the government and bolsters the argument its all about money.

Both alcohol and tobacco are easily abusable, and have no medical benifits. However the government and big company make large profits and any illnesses acquired is more business for the medical corporation.

I Implore people to study CBD oil and its cancer battling properties because only awareness of the government corruption will overturn the gross abuse of its power (this is nothing)

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".

Cannabis has less side effects, and far more benefits than most over the counter drugs that you see on the shelves (and of course more safe than EVERY hard drug).

I am a chronic pain sufferer, and have been for all of my life. As a child I went through many surgeries and prescribed a lot of pain medication that knocked me out so intensely I was forced to be homeschooled. When I was 15 I found out about medical cannabis. When I was 16 I started smoking every day of my life...That was the same year I stopped taking my prescription medicine (for pain management, muscle spasms, and arthritis), and also the same year that I was able to go back to high school and complete my senior year IN PERSON. It was amazing. I was able to focus and complete my school work with minimal pain. I went to a private university where I graduated in three years and then went off to start my masters degree.
    I am now a successful 24 year old that owns a lovely 3 bed 2 bath home on ten forested acres. I have a home, a career, a family, and have not taken prescription medication since high school. I am an elementary school teacher and it saddens me that I can potentially lose my career for my choice of pain management.

It's ridiculous to me that cannabis is seen as something with no medical benefit when it clearly is helping a great deal of people.

Without medical cannabis I would be forced to live a life on federal support because I would not be physically able to hold a stable job...

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".