Should marijuana be classified as a Schedule I drug?

• Marijuana should be classified as a schedule one drug.

The reasons behind my argument are : 1) it is addictive 2) it causes individuals to be less motivated 3) it has long term effects that cause your brain to show signs of schizophrenia 4) it shows signs of negatively effecting your Motor skills ex: people who are stoned have much slower reactions then those who are not. 5) Some facts from drugabuse.Gov :

Marijuana overactivates the endocannabinoid system, causing the “high” and other effects that users experience. These effects include altered perceptions and mood, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory.

Marijuana also affects brain development, and when it is used heavily by young people, its effects on thinking and memory may last a long time or even be permanent. A recent study of marijuana users who began using in adolescence revealed substantially reduced connectivity among brain areas responsible for learning and memory. And a large long-term study in New Zealand showed that people who began smoking marijuana heavily in their teens lost an average of 8 points in IQ between age 13 and age 38. Importantly, the lost cognitive abilities were not fully restored in those who quit smoking marijuana as adults.

Marijuana smoke is an irritant to the lungs, and frequent marijuana smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems experienced by tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. "

There is a reason marijuana is illegal and I believe it should stay illegal.
    I used to smoke marijuana. I agree that it does help with nausea and a lost appetite but the good DOES NOT weigh out the bad.

• I say yes.

Marijuana is a drug that is not safe. Regardless of what the weed lobby wants you to think, it is not something fit for human consumption. We do not know what kind of effects this drug has on people yet, and it should remain a schedule one drug at all times.

• Yes, in the opinion of Doctors

Marijuana is a very harmful drug. This has been proven over and over again. We have an epidemic use of marijuana in our grade and high schools. Psychologists and Medical Doctors are very much in agreement about the addictive nature of this drug, despite organization like NORML. And, most people in jail on marijuana charges are not in jail because of simple possession. They are harden criminals that did other crimes, including selling to minors.

• Yes, marijuana should be classified as a schedule 1 drug.

I understand it is an herb, and it is better than they synthetic drugs they have out now, but it is still a very addictive drug. There is no reason for a person to try and numb their brains, and that is what mj does. It puts you in a euphoria state and that can lead to accidents. No, people don't die from mj, but the effect it has on a person can.

• CBD OIL!!! -doesnt get you high, non addictive.

Besides the well stated facts that many sick people benefit the use of medicinal marijuana, alongside the fact that marijuana is safer than prescriptions, alcohol and tobacco, i want to point out some less obvious things.

Because marijuana is a plant, no one can claim rights and therefore profit.

We know marijuana is a schedule one drug. This is the definition: "The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S."

we know this is false. There is much proven evidence of medicinal benifits of medicinal Marijuana not to mention CBD oil (doesnt get you high, non addictive).
    The point here is that it about $$$. Because the medical industry will not benefit from home grown treatments and therapies, it is to its benefit the drug remain illegal. (even though its been attempted to synthesize marijuana in the lab, the effects not the same as the plant itself.

Tobacco and alcohol are legal. Dont get me wrong i am glad they are, but this point adds testament to the hypocrisy of the government and bolsters the argument its all about money.

Both alcohol and tobacco are easily abusable, and have no medical benifits. However the government and big company make large profits and any illnesses acquired is more business for the medical corporation.

I Implore people to study CBD oil and its cancer battling properties because only awareness of the government corruption will overturn the gross abuse of its power (this is nothing)

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".

Cannabis has less side effects, and far more benefits than most over the counter drugs that you see on the shelves (and of course more safe than EVERY hard drug).

I am a chronic pain sufferer, and have been for all of my life. As a child I went through many surgeries and prescribed a lot of pain medication that knocked me out so intensely I was forced to be homeschooled. When I was 15 I found out about medical cannabis. When I was 16 I started smoking every day of my life...That was the same year I stopped taking my prescription medicine (for pain management, muscle spasms, and arthritis), and also the same year that I was able to go back to high school and complete my senior year IN PERSON. It was amazing. I was able to focus and complete my school work with minimal pain. I went to a private university where I graduated in three years and then went off to start my masters degree.
    I am now a successful 24 year old that owns a lovely 3 bed 2 bath home on ten forested acres. I have a home, a career, a family, and have not taken prescription medication since high school. I am an elementary school teacher and it saddens me that I can potentially lose my career for my choice of pain management.

It's ridiculous to me that cannabis is seen as something with no medical benefit when it clearly is helping a great deal of people.

Without medical cannabis I would be forced to live a life on federal support because I would not be physically able to hold a stable job...

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".

• Cannabis is a healing "drug".

• There is no factual basis for having cannabis as a schedule one substance, it is a fucking joke.

It has been scientifically proven in hundreds of studies that cannabis has medicinal properties beneficial to people suffering from numerous diseases, mental health ailments, and symptom management. The fact that oxycontin is a schedule two substance while cannabis is a schedule one just goes to show how extremely ignorant, factually out of touch, unethical, and corrupt the classification system is. I see no reason to even have cannabis as an illegal substance. It is far healthier than tobacco and alcohol, even when smoked. Also, if consumed via vaporization or through edibles almost all negative health risks associated with cannabis are removed. I would never condone cannabis use for minors though, as it can have detrimental effects to young developing brains. I would fully support a bill to make a legal cannabis consumption age although children with life-threatening diseases should still be allowed to consume on a prescription basis. Cannabis was only ever made illegal for political, economic, and insanely racist reasons. No scientific research was done before making cannabis a schedule one substance....

• Alcohol is addictive and kills everyday - remove marijuana and make alcohol a Schedule 1 drug - that makes more sense

To me it makes no sense to have a drug like alcohol available at every corner store for any adult to purchase and restrict a drug as harmless as marijuana. Check your local rehab center. How many are there trying to get over marijuana use? Most likely none! These places are filled with alcoholics and prescription drug abusers. But we ignore this issue and restrict the use of marijuana. Why? Because taxes cannot be collected property on it? We sell, promote and use alcohol everyday. Drunks smash into and kill people everyday - yet we still sell and promote this drug. We have opportunity to research a proven medical option but we choose to restrict it - why?

• Profound knowledge please

It is past due for marijuana to be removed from the current classification system. We don't need more research just listen to people with experience....They have profound knowledge i.E.:parents of children with seizures that have seen improvement in their child's illness when treated with cannibis, cancer patients able to tolerate chemo with canabis. Death rates from marijuana indirectly approx 229 vs. Prescribed medicines approx 13000 includes viagra, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. direct cause. Stop being afraid and get educated about the many benefits of this amazing plant. Documentary: illegal is very good at showing what effect fearmongering has had on families lives trying to acquire medical canabis oil. There is a lot of good solid information from people with profound knowledge. I am tired of seeing needless suffering because of the classification of marajuana.