Should marijuana be made legal for medical purposes?

• Yes, it eases stress.

It's not harmful at all. Only kids under 15 should not smoke marijuana. I'm 15 and I smoke marijuana on a daily basis because I am mostly stressed half the time, and marijuana makes me calm and relaxed. I am actually happier and calm when I smoke weed. It's my best friend when I'm down, to be honest.

• Would you like it if you had a cough and someone told you that you couldn't take cough medicine?

I am pretty sure you have never heard of some one overdosing on weed right? Exactly, it's impossible. So why shouldn't weed be legal? Plus a blunt a day keeps the problems away. I'm just saying there are a lot of people out there suffering and weed could be their answer, even if the doctor doesn't prescribe some. It could just be what might save them.

• Yes reason is simple really; unless you are a hypocrite.

The reason is real simple for me; reduced version is; the classification of cannabis or marijuana is already busted because of a patent being issue to the United States Government proving the medicinal use of the herb., this is undeniable proof.
    First cannabis or marijuana is listed as a schedule 1 drug; for those that do not know, this meas is has NO MEDICINAL VALUE at what so ever and also means that the substance is addictive and causes extreme harm. All this is well and good to ban a natural herb, but wait...
    The Federal government(the same ones that made the schedule 1 classification up) on October 7, 2003 was issued "US Patent 6,630,507 Cannabinoids as Antioxidants and Neuroprotectantss: “Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention.”. The Department to receive this patent(of a natural plant) was The U.S.Health and Human Services.

• I believe marijuana should be legal period.

I think marijuana should be legal. In a free nation there should be no laws prohibiting a persons freedom as long as they do not harm others. How does smoking pot harm any person? I just don't get it. I don't smoke pot, but feel that if a person want to, they should have every right in the world to do so.

Posted by: BriaBlacken
  • I have no problem with marijuana being used for medical purposes, because it is very useful to cancer patients.

I do not think it would be a problem to use marijuana for medical purposes. But, there would have to be oversight to make sure that people were not abusing the situation. It should be reserved for people that are in intense pain and need it to function, such as cancer patients.

Posted by: Nich0HeIPfuI
  • I think marijuana should be legal because it can reduce pain.

If it was legal then hospitals could use it and it could be used instead of pain killers. There would be freedom. For example, if you were out in the woods and you accidentally shot someone then you could reduce the pain with marijuana smoke and not get arrested for it.

• Yes, it eases stress.

We need help to relax, and marijuana can help people to relax or easily to go sleep. It has more advantages than disadvantages, and there is no evidence that it kills humans or is harmful for humans. Because of this, I think that marijuana should be made legal for medical purposes.

• I support the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes because it is a natural and effective pain reliever.

I believe that marijuana should be legal for adult consumption in general and that it should at least be made legal for those people who suffer from chronic pain to take as a remedy rather than ingesting man made medications that are full of chemicals that are not natural and that cause many side effects. Marijuana is a naturally growing herb that has no bad side effects and causes no harm to the human body.

Posted by: ExcitedRonald
  • Of course it has less health risks than alcohol

With alcohol you can get liver failure and you can die from drinking to much. With marijuana there has not been a documented case of lung cancer in a marijuana only smoker. Also with alcohol there is a higher rate of violence but with marijuana there is a lower rate of violence. The list could go on but i think you all get the idea. And as you can probably tell my view is it should be legalized period.

• I believe that marijuana ought to be legal for medical purposes, since it is not being used for illegal purposes in those instances.

It is inhumane to deny someone who has a debilitating medical condition any treatment that will ease his pain and, since marijuana has been proven to work in very specific cases, I don't see why the government is preventing them from receiving that treatment. It is only because of its history as an illegal drug that it is being denied. But, these people are not using it for illegal purposes.

Posted by: ender31444
  • Marijuana is dangerous and often cause more problems then it solves.

While marijuana can help solve nausea in cancer patients, do you really want to give a cancer patient marijuana? Just think about that for a minute. Does that even sound reasonable? There has been research done that has found mold and other toxins in marijuana. Now the medical version is "cleaner" then what you would get from a dealer, but it still has a bunch of stuff that can destroy you.

Do you think marijuana isn't as addicting as alcohol or tobacco? Think again. There have been studies such as animal testing and neuroscience that have shown that the withdraw is as bad as the withdraw for alcohol or tobacco. If marijuana can be used for medical uses, why can't it be used for people who just want to go get high in the park?

Lastly, there are other LEGALLY PRESCRIBED drugs that can solve the same problems that marijuana has but in a safer and more effective way. By making marijuana legal for medical use, you increase the chance for the power to abused. Plus, with marijuana used for medical uses, society might want to make marijuana legal in general.

Marijuana is NOT for medical problems. It is for people who want to waste their life getting high and throwing their life down the drain. Think about it. The decision is up to you on what you want to do with your life. I would hope you make the right choice.

• It has caused more issues than it has solved.

All the people who need it lived without it before. Most of the people who use this are abusing the prescription of the drug. It has led to more problems in California than it has solved. Its has been acquired by some who say they need it but they are just lying so they can sell and use it for illegal purposes.

• No, it's not working in California.

California made medicinal marijuana legal and look what has happened. Patients and druggies took advantage of it, and even doctors signed prescriptions where the pot wasn't needed. Now California is having problems with all these companies selling pot and they're having to take over the business and regulate the companies. It hasn't worked in California, and currently the negatives of medical marijuana outweigh the positives.

Posted by: R34d3Homey
  • I do not believe marijuana other than medical marijuana should be legalized.

Imagine going onto an airplane for a family reunion and you look into the cockpit and see the pilot with his Jamaican headpiece and dreadlocks hanging out. You recall seeing him at the Jamaican festival in Austin, Texas last year. You notice his eyes are blood red. Your flight path is going near an area which is predicted to have storms soon, how happy will you be with that stoned pilot then. Your child is diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer and you find out that the surgeon won the weed brownie baking contest last June-ready to have him cut your child's brain open. This is just a few of the many cases that I can think of where marijuana use would end up with an undesirable result. Just because something feels good does not always mean it is okay to do. Would you have unprotected sex with a prostitute it feels good but may not be safe my friends!

• Marijuana should not be legalized

I know some people believe that these drugs could be great help, but I know that there are better options. There are many different medicines that ARE legalized and why can't we just use those? If we already have a solution there is no need to legalize these drugs.
    What do you think?

• Would do more harm than good

Yes, marijuana has been proved in a few cases to help with diseases like glaucoma, but other medicines have too. Elderly people, or others with form of a heart problem, aren't even able to safely take marijuana, because of how much it increases heart speed. Many people have died in accidents such as car crashes due to being on a marijuana high. Also, it is proved to be a gateway drug, meaning that it can lead to worse things such as cocaine or heroin. Even if it isn't a gateway drug, its very addictive. One would start hanging out with others that smoke pot. If this continued, its inevitable that they would run into another drug. It is also proved that it leads to other drugs because the high starts to wear out. People start to want to be high for longer. 99.9% of cocaine users state that they started with marijuana. Also, smoking pot can lead to dropping out of school, or work. Colleagues, teachers, and bosses report that their employees and students have stopped reporting to work and school because of their marijuana addiction. Lastly, on 10/20/13 a medical marijuana grower was murdered for his pot. This could become a big issue too. If marijuana was more prevalent in society, it would become easier to use, which means that there could be a huge population of marijuana addicts, which would be horrible for the United States

• Yes it should

I think it should because bringing more options for the patients of the medical world helps people find an effective treatment that suits them the most. Benzos have bad side effects and opiates are very addictive and hard to control. I can't imagine some guy telling somebody with a serious health problem that he can't get the medicine that works for him because he is a piece of shit.

• It shouldnt be done simply because of the fact of how much stuff can go wrong

Medical marijuana leads to affecting things such as your decision making. Causing stupid decisions and stupid consequences. You could easily be arrested by the cops for killing someone or simply hurting someone. And if you where to do something stupid and hurt someone else, you would have to live with it forever.

• Not at all

Once we legalize medicinal marijuana, we will have prop 420 going up wanting recreational marijuana to be legal. It's destroying the lives of many. And while many marijuana supports compare marijuana to alcohol, keep in mind that alcohol is one of the leading causes for tens to thousands of deaths for automobile accidents. Secondly, anyone with 25-100 dollars and the ability to lie can get their hands on a medical marijuana card. At least put higher restrictions and more testing procedures to see if the person is actually in need of the treatment for medical marijuana.

• NO to Medical Marijuana

Medical Marijuana is NOT the MOST effective way to treat anything, people supporting the legalization of marijuana just want to have an excuse to justify their addiction. People do not understand the harmful effects that marijuana does have and believe it is the cool thing to do. We do not need more drugs, people need to take better care of their body.