Should Martial Arts be taught as part of Physcial Education?

Asked by: Sabre16
  • For the sake of self defense

There many reasons why martial arts should be taught in school. Martial Arts can range from Karate to Wushu to Grav Maga to Systema and so on. However, the expense and time dedication of various martial arts tends to reserve the practice only for socioeconomic elites & middle-class who have a surplus of both. In foreign counties that take pride in their history of martial arts (e.G. Japan & Judo, Thailand & Muay Thai) classes and competitive teams are offered in public schoos, making the practice accessible to all persons. Why not the United States? I find myself wondering what arguments there are against such a proposition and welcome any and all disagreement.

• Why not accept it!?

Children are made to do other sports in P.E that they may not like for example gymnastics or football but yet they are forced to do it anyway so why shouldn't we make an exception for self defense? In my opinion every child should know how to at least know how to defend them selves.

• Why not accept it!?

• You can get hurt... But

Martial arts don't hurt children like some other sports like wrestling. Wrestling could cause children to be seriously injured, mainly due to lack of much safety gear. However, martial arts like karate, taekwondo, etc. do have safety gear and are mostly non-contact. Plus, martial arts are easy to learn and reduce bullying by allowing children to stand up for themselves.

• You can get hurt... But

• Cesar vega is a martial arts expertise and is really really really really really really really really really really really really really awesome

Martial arts helps you to get fit in a fun way. U would be able to loose weight in a great and fun way. It can also help stop bullying rates. U would be able to defend yourself so u wouldn't get bullied . #mexican lives matter #Killerclowns #make america mexico again #alondra sucks #black lives matter #cesar is beast

• It would help with confidence

Martial arts is the study of the mind and how to think in a fight. When kids learn martial arts they can release anger and any other felling into there work. It makes them stronger fiscally and mentally. All of the people that said it I violent and that it teaches kids bad ways but all of the video games you but for them. Also parents don't want to force there kids onto things they don't like but will force them into Spanish and other subjects

• Lll ll ll

Ll ll ll ll ll ll l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ll l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l

• Lll ll ll

• It's NOT a sport!

Physical Education is comprised of a variety of sports. The Martial Arts, in ANY form, are not a sport. They are form of defense. That is two very different things. In Asian countries, you will find the Martial Arts in schools because those nations are historically Bujutsu societies. It is tradition -- literally a way of life to them. From this same tradition comes Seppuku (suicide), Kamikaze missions (suicide), Banzai charges, etc. To deeply ingrain this culture into its people, the indoctrination starts early. The United States is not a warring society. We have never incorporated such training in our school systems, because we have very different social norms.

• Why force something on kids?

Maybe we should make military boot camp a school curriculum as well. Just in case we have to send the average Joe or Jane out to fight overseas or to protect our borders. Why force something on kids that is not part of their culture? Martial Arts will only make them practice it on themselves it's basically giving kids knives and guns and telling them to "protect" themselves when anyone knows they will use it on each other.

• Why force something on kids?

• It is not a major sport

Not many minor sports are actually incorporated in PE, and martial arts, dance, and gymnastics are some of these sports. I love dance, but not many people do, and it's probably the dame for martial arts. I know that there's only like 1 or 2 people in my PE class who would enjoy a week long martial arts unit. Also, martial arts seems like a hard unit, and I know that it would take more than a week to actually learn.

• It is not a major sport

• The Dangers of Teaching Martial Arts

While I do agree with the validity with the opposing side's rationale for their opinion on the topic, I think that martial arts should not be taught and encouraged in physical education. By having children fight and spar in class with others, it may cause them to be more violent, affecting their life decisions.

• It would help very little with self-defense.

The teaching of martial arts in schools for the sake of teaching kids to defend themselves would be counterproductive. Although the bullied victims would learn some level of martial arts, the bullies would also learn these same skills. It would have the same sort of result as giving a bullying victim a knife, and then also giving one to his/her bully.

• This would be a bad idea

Taking karate could trick kids into a false sense of confidence as a first degree black belt I know that you wouldn't learn much about karate in a week long pe unit. This might lead to even more bullying at school because kids would think they were good at karate.

• Iotjw otijwrtioj ij war

I yz so bad buck being a nerd rock q fqf refi qlolololololololololololo lo l o l ol o l olha h hah ahahah ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha hh ah ha ah ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ah hau a nerddd

• It stinke like poop

U shmurl like put]] beertfcuz u r a poiuytreiice ogf purps lololollolollololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol ha ha you need a diper for your diper bcuq u ppe on ben wuq hur hahahahahahah ha hah ha ah ha ah ah ah ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ah ha ah ha ah ha ha ha

Vajrasattva-LeRoy says2014-09-09T16:13:12.137
Of course not.
Fighting is the opposite of self-defense.
Promoting war, fighting, etc. , violates the U.S. signed
Declaration of Peace at the UN, & the UN Charter.