Should Martial Arts be taught as part of Physcial Education?

Asked by: Sabre16
  • For the sake of self defense

There many reasons why martial arts should be taught in school. Martial Arts can range from Karate to Wushu to Grav Maga to Systema and so on. However, the expense and time dedication of various martial arts tends to reserve the practice only for socioeconomic elites & middle-class who have a surplus of both. In foreign counties that take pride in their history of martial arts (e.G. Japan & Judo, Thailand & Muay Thai) classes and competitive teams are offered in public schoos, making the practice accessible to all persons. Why not the United States? I find myself wondering what arguments there are against such a proposition and welcome any and all disagreement.

• A very good advantage

Martial arts should be taught to children so that they can defend themselves whenever they are in difficulty. Parents should allow their children to learn martial arts so that if they are not interested in any courier field they may find a way to be a good martial arts champion

• A very good advantage

• It will build character

As a black belt in Muay Thai and Tae Kwon do, in addition to that I have a blue belt in BJJ, I know it has changed my life in a positive way and shaped me into the man I am today. If taught in schools it could encourage kids to further educate them and join other clubs. Who knows your kid could have a hidden talent for fighter.

• Why; why not?

Supposing martial arts becomes a mandatory class, I believe that parents would not mind it if their children were taught how to defend themselves. And if we want to go to the line 'we shouldn't force them into it', well, then we should not force them to learn to read or learn math. At the very least, the students should expose themselves in the ways of defense; martial arts promotes self-control and discipline, something everyone needs to learn.

• Not only does Martial Arts teach self defense, but also other aspects of life.

Not only does Martial Arts teach the art of Self Defense, but it also teaches control, discipline, and respect. Which are just three aspects a part of life that we use. Martial Arts also teaches a lot more than those three aspects. It would definitely be beneficial for students at a young age to learn. They also learn pride in themselves from being able to complete certain forms of the martial arts and so forth. It also gives them a sense of belonging to a group that is there for the same thing as them.

• Yes it Shoulld

I'm 17 years old and its my last year in high school also I happen to have been trained in traditional Martial Arts since I learned how to walk. I believe once you've learned how to defend yourself (from a threat) you also learn how to avoid a physical confrontation but if necessary use it. This basic skill set has helped me out of many situations. With that being said ..

• It could save their lives

1 British citizen is mugged every 3 minutes and that could very well be your child. Being trained in martial arts is a great way to ensure that they are safe and able to p[protect themselves when they go out. It also boost confidence and keeps them fit and healthy.

• Bah because it is important

It is good for the kids you know. If they ever get bullied they can just smash someone in the head with all the training that they have been taught. Personally, i would like to learn martial arts instead of learning how to find a theme in a story. Thank you

• Bah because it is important

• It's NOT a sport!

Physical Education is comprised of a variety of sports. The Martial Arts, in ANY form, are not a sport. They are form of defense. That is two very different things. In Asian countries, you will find the Martial Arts in schools because those nations are historically Bujutsu societies. It is tradition -- literally a way of life to them. From this same tradition comes Seppuku (suicide), Kamikaze missions (suicide), Banzai charges, etc. To deeply ingrain this culture into its people, the indoctrination starts early. The United States is not a warring society. We have never incorporated such training in our school systems, because we have very different social norms.

• Why force something on kids?

Maybe we should make military boot camp a school curriculum as well. Just in case we have to send the average Joe or Jane out to fight overseas or to protect our borders. Why force something on kids that is not part of their culture? Martial Arts will only make them practice it on themselves it's basically giving kids knives and guns and telling them to "protect" themselves when anyone knows they will use it on each other.

• Why force something on kids?

• It is going to be a big disadvantage

Tall people are always tempted to use their physical superiority and neglect or totally deny or make fun of other means.It does not make you a good fighter.It takes a lot of time to learn it.You are going to get banged up.It costs a lot of money.You need to train a lot to get good at it.

• It is not a major sport

Not many minor sports are actually incorporated in PE, and martial arts, dance, and gymnastics are some of these sports. I love dance, but not many people do, and it's probably the dame for martial arts. I know that there's only like 1 or 2 people in my PE class who would enjoy a week long martial arts unit. Also, martial arts seems like a hard unit, and I know that it would take more than a week to actually learn.

• It is not a major sport

• The Dangers of Teaching Martial Arts

While I do agree with the validity with the opposing side's rationale for their opinion on the topic, I think that martial arts should not be taught and encouraged in physical education. By having children fight and spar in class with others, it may cause them to be more violent, affecting their life decisions.

• It would help very little with self-defense.

The teaching of martial arts in schools for the sake of teaching kids to defend themselves would be counterproductive. Although the bullied victims would learn some level of martial arts, the bullies would also learn these same skills. It would have the same sort of result as giving a bullying victim a knife, and then also giving one to his/her bully.

• This would be a bad idea

Taking karate could trick kids into a false sense of confidence as a first degree black belt I know that you wouldn't learn much about karate in a week long pe unit. This might lead to even more bullying at school because kids would think they were good at karate.

• Iotjw otijwrtioj ij war

I yz so bad buck being a nerd rock q fqf refi qlolololololololololololo lo l o l ol o l olha h hah ahahah ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha hh ah ha ah ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ah hau a nerddd

Vajrasattva-LeRoy says2014-09-09T16:13:12.137
Of course not.
Fighting is the opposite of self-defense.
Promoting war, fighting, etc. , violates the U.S. signed
Declaration of Peace at the UN, & the UN Charter.