Should all medicine be sold without a prescription?

• I say yes

I had not really thought too much about this before, but now that I do think of it, I think that it is a very good idea to sell all medicine without any kind of a prescription. Doctors and regulations just get in the way of the getting the good stuff.

• No, that could be very dangerous.

Many prescription drugs are highly addictive and allowing anyone to buy them would be like putting drug dealers on every street corner in America. There is already a huge problem in this country with prescription drug abuse and if anyone could buy any medicine at any pharmacy that would be crazy. Plus it is important that a pharmacist explains the benefits and harms of any prescription medicine to a new patient. This helps keep people safe and protects them from drug interactions that can be life threatening.

• No, it shouldn't because people would use them to get high more often.

No, all medicine should not be sold without a prescription. There are several drugs out there that I am sure people would use to get high if they were easier to get. By requiring some medications to have prescriptions, there is at least a little bit of control over this.

• No, all medication should not be offered for sale without the need for a prescription.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is tasked with the mission of deciding if a medication is safe enough to be offered for sale without a doctor's prescription. All medication has risks to its use, the most common being interaction other medicines, supplements, foods or drinks.

The use of drugs with high risk factors should be reviewed by trained medical professional to lessen this risk to the general public. If there were no prescription requirements there would numerous cases of drug interactions and overdosing.