• Yes, men should get paternity leave.

Women need help around the house, and adjusting to the new role of being a mother. Someone being there would help immensely. The man also needs to learn how to take care of their new child. It can be a bonding experience for the spouses. Children need both parents, and it's terrible that most companies don't give paternity leave.

• Allow men paid time off, YES

Some might see this as a good idea, whereas others may feel that it is taking things a little far. Since the mother is inseparably involved in pregnancy and childbirth, it is understandable when she gets maternity leave. But the necessity of paternity leave for a father is not easily understood by most people. Until and unless men go through fatherhood, they may never really understand the role of the man during pregnancy and childbirth.

• Of Course They Should!

The Father has all the right to see their new child. And for all those who say no, wouldn't you want to see if your wife is ok? If your wife and child are both healthy and alive? It only makes sense to be able to see your NEW little FAMILY member.

• Sure they have to!

Because the babies must know not only their mother, but also their father! So, the fathers must take care his baby not only on his spare time, but also when his wife can't take care of the babies. Life is complicated! The mothers may can't take care of her babies every time. So, the fathers must handle his baby. And the fathers must still get payed. Because work is his duty and take care of his babies is his most important duty.

• Yes they should

We are expecting our first born. Needless to say there will be a learning curve for how to handle an infant in our home. My wife wants me to be home to help her as we both learn together. I am using my only vacation time to be home for 2 weeks. We do not have family near by to help us, so it is just my wife and myself. I do not think men need to be away from work for 12 weeks leave, which is what my wife has. However, a week or two would be enough for young families to become acclimated to their new situation without the penalty of no pay or the use of earned vacation time.

• Yes they should

• Would be nice to physically and emotionally get help when family is not around.

I agree on this topic in many ways due to the fact that I recently had a baby girl by C-section this past summer and having no family or none of his family near by unlike other people do. I deeply depended on him for help, why would I depend on any one else when we both got into this situation. Plus by him helping he could understand some what of the pain and stress healing and caring for a baby. My man worked and helped me and baby no matter what for a month he checked on me rather on lunch break calling also. Its not about being poor and having the employer pay no matter what of course with paternity leave an employer and government should have guidelines to this option. Bonding is great for baby and mom why bring more stress if not needed... Babies are blessings think about it millions of women would pay millions just to have a baby.

• It would be a great idea!

You have to think about it, if the women goes through labor, shes going through a complete painful process. I think it would be a great idea for men to get paternity to leave work for atleast for two weeks, so for the first week the wife can rest up and the second week get a bit of pampering and relaxation while the husband takes part and takes care of the baby, waking up at night, having late nights, and also changing and feeding the baby . :) just a thought.

• Both parents should get time off.

By the way, to the person who mentioned the world is grossly overpopulated, your right, but that's in China and improverished areas if the world. As for the US, the people having too many children the immigrants. A father and mother working full-time jobs should be given paternity and maternity leave, as children are the future. Lets face it ... Who is currently paying for everyone's social security? And the elderly Medicare? It's the young people. And you will probably be using our kids tax dollars to wipe your wrinkly butt one day too.

• Men deserve it too!!

I've had 5 kids and the times my husband has taken off is different each time. However, just because they don't deliver doesn't mean anything!!! My husband was there to support me emotionally and physically!! I needed a break (shower, to eat and pee) and he was there to help. All 5 times it was unpaid! My husband also gets to bond with our children as well. Skin ti skin contact is just as important to them as it is to us. Each time I came home I spent most of my time with the newborn so my older kids felt left out at times, and my husband was there to help with feel more secure about having a baby in the house. My kids love it now as we have settled into a schedule. I could go on and on but THEY DESERVE TO BE HOME WITH THE CHILD TOO.

• This is a pointless question.

Men do nothing to deserve paternity leave. It is the woman who carry around the baby inside her for 9 months. They are the ones to have to be careful with what they eat, or what they do. The women are the ones gaining weight, and putting more pressure on their back when they fetus starts to grow bigger inside them. Men are to provide for the family. Meaning while the girl is resting, regaining her stability, and caring for the child the man should be bringing home money for her and their child.

• No women did all the work for making the baby fathers did NOTHING!

No, because the father's body did absolutely nothing to make the baby. The father's body doesn't need to recuperate at home nor does the father have his hormones out of whack. If men get paternity leave just to "bond" with the baby then women should get 2 maternity leaves one to recover from giving birth and pregnancy and the other maternity leave to "bond" with the baby.

• Time off for what?!

What does his vagina need to recover from? And what kind of a woman is so dependent on her husband/boyfriend that she needs him taking care of her after doing something as natural as giving birth. A hundred years ago women used to plow the fields, squat, have a baby then go do the wash by hand. When did we get so soft? And what job is it that the father is at for so many hours that he cant come home and cook dinner/clean/feed new baby all in the same day? He doesn't need time off he needs to work harder at home when he finishes his work day.

• I disagree

Men should stay at work.....My Father wasn't home with me to bond, why should Fathers get it now?? I'm just as close to my Father even if he wasn't home during the day.
    This Politically correct world is making me sick. I'm a woman and didn't have any kids, I don't even think women should get a year off. I think if you want kids that badly, and like I hear so many Mothers say how much they love their kids, then stay home full time with them. People say they can't afford it. They can't afford it only because they want all the material things in life, which is not always the most important thing.

• i disagree

you have to relize yes the women did it all but relize your husbands gonna be home and doing everything cleaning cooking do it all while you relax sleep do what you need to do so idk why you are saying no if theres a positive side to you women and a good husband would help around the house while you rest

• Neither parent should get paid leave.

Neither parent should be entitled to paid leave just for having a child. The world is GROSSLY over-populated! If YOU chose to have a child, why should your employer have to pay for it. Just to be civil, understanding, and just, both parents should be able take unpaid leave at their option for a reasonable amount of time (say 12 wks). If you're too poor to take a few months off unpaid, you probably aren't in the appropriate financial situation to even have a child. Simply put - having a child is a very selfish thing to do. If YOU chose to, that's your problem - not your employers or mine or anyone else's.

• Paternity Leave for men is unnecessary given the opportunity cost.

Not to get into too hypothetical of an argument, but if companies were forced to give paternity leave to men and women, for months at a time, it would seriously injure the economy and all businesses. This opportunity cost is greater than the necessity for men to be at home with the mother taking care of the baby; on a equal rights standpoint, women are more than able to take care of the baby and themselves. Men can always see and interact with their children after work and on the weekends, there is simply no need to pay two people for months at a time so that they can raise their children.. If a couple wanted some time off with their new child then they should have saved. Its not the burden of the business to fund both of them.

• Time off for what?

Leave off from work should be dedicated only to the mother. This time off allows her to mentally and physically heal after giving birth. Additionally, the mother can nurse the baby and acquire the sleep that is needed to bounce back.

The father of the baby should continue to work and support his family. Taking time off, especially without pay, would cause a financial burden.

If the father believes that he won't get the same "bonding" time with the baby, come home at a decent time, spend time with your family in the evenings, and on the weekends.

As a society, we have become to believe we are entitled equal rights, yet I don't see the father giving birth to children, or women making the same wages as men. This is not an equal rights time, it's a time of what is best for the child. Having the father home at this time doesn't help the mother out.

The only time I could see Paternity Leave being an option was if there were complications in the birth and the mother was unable to take care of the baby herself.

• Yes and No

I feel like the way that society is today that some fathers are not able to take off work, just because many jobs don't offer it. But if they have a good job which they have to have for this to be even considered, then yes. They probably were not home much when the child was conceived.

• Men should not get paternity leave from work.

I think men, should not get paternity leave as they are not of much help with the new member. Most of the men can't take care of the baby and can't even take care of themselves. then there is more work load on the mother. As far as bonding with the child, a good father can bond even in less time, if he spends quality time, instead of quantity.