• It would be a great idea!

You have to think about it, if the women goes through labor, shes going through a complete painful process. I think it would be a great idea for men to get paternity to leave work for atleast for two weeks, so for the first week the wife can rest up and the second week get a bit of pampering and relaxation while the husband takes part and takes care of the baby, waking up at night, having late nights, and also changing and feeding the baby . :) just a thought.

• Both parents should get time off.

By the way, to the person who mentioned the world is grossly overpopulated, your right, but that's in China and improverished areas if the world. As for the US, the people having too many children the immigrants. A father and mother working full-time jobs should be given paternity and maternity leave, as children are the future. Lets face it ... Who is currently paying for everyone's social security? And the elderly Medicare? It's the young people. And you will probably be using our kids tax dollars to wipe your wrinkly butt one day too.

• Men deserve it too!!

I've had 5 kids and the times my husband has taken off is different each time. However, just because they don't deliver doesn't mean anything!!! My husband was there to support me emotionally and physically!! I needed a break (shower, to eat and pee) and he was there to help. All 5 times it was unpaid! My husband also gets to bond with our children as well. Skin ti skin contact is just as important to them as it is to us. Each time I came home I spent most of my time with the newborn so my older kids felt left out at times, and my husband was there to help with feel more secure about having a baby in the house. My kids love it now as we have settled into a schedule. I could go on and on but THEY DESERVE TO BE HOME WITH THE CHILD TOO.

• Men deserve it too!!

• Stronger Families, Better Employees.

As employers, we need to help ensure that our employees have good, strong family bonds at home. When we support them in these ways (i.E. Paternity Leave), they feel more satisfied and secure in their positions within our companies. And, most importantly, they have solid, healthy connections at home. When our people are happy at home, they are happier at work - and much more productive. Want a good return on your investment in the business world? Then invest in your employees. Stop pinching pennies and start treating your people like family. Trust me; it will pay off.

• I believe yes

I think it should be up to the father. He should be there to take care of his child's mother as well as assist with the baby. He should have the option. And i believe the mother should definitely get paid, especially if she does not have a supportive father to her child.

• They need to bond with both mom and baby!

After having a baby is a fragile time for both mother and baby. This is a great time for dad to be there and bond with his new child as well as create a new bond with the mom as well. Even if it is the first or seventh child is it always different. As men are becoming more and more helpful with child-rearing they should also get time to spend with their new child. While they shouldn't get 6 weeks, I do not see why 2 weeks is too much to ask.

• I strongly agree.

I strongly agree that some men who are in their children life should have paternity leave so that he can bond with his newborn baby and can also help around the house so that everything wouldn't be so stressful on the woman. It is also important that he is there just incase if the woman suddenly go into a postpartum depression he is available to take care of his family.

• Hello yes they should

The woman needs help with the baby and the father also needs to take part in helping. When the mother needs to rest, the dad can help and also care for the baby and at the same time, spend time with his wife. It will bring them closer as well.

• It's nice to have some help.

Why not have the father around for a little bonding? And hey, he can help keep the house in shape while the woman's nursing. He could also run errands, help the woman physically, and whenever she needs a break from a crying baby, he can be there to help out. I don't see what it would hurt.

• This is a pointless question.

Men do nothing to deserve paternity leave. It is the woman who carry around the baby inside her for 9 months. They are the ones to have to be careful with what they eat, or what they do. The women are the ones gaining weight, and putting more pressure on their back when they fetus starts to grow bigger inside them. Men are to provide for the family. Meaning while the girl is resting, regaining her stability, and caring for the child the man should be bringing home money for her and their child.

• Time off for what?!

What does his vagina need to recover from? And what kind of a woman is so dependent on her husband/boyfriend that she needs him taking care of her after doing something as natural as giving birth. A hundred years ago women used to plow the fields, squat, have a baby then go do the wash by hand. When did we get so soft? And what job is it that the father is at for so many hours that he cant come home and cook dinner/clean/feed new baby all in the same day? He doesn't need time off he needs to work harder at home when he finishes his work day.

• No women did all the work for making the baby fathers did NOTHING!

No, because the father's body did absolutely nothing to make the baby. The father's body doesn't need to recuperate at home nor does the father have his hormones out of whack. If men get paternity leave just to "bond" with the baby then women should get 2 maternity leaves one to recover from giving birth and pregnancy and the other maternity leave to "bond" with the baby.

• Time off for what?

Leave off from work should be dedicated only to the mother. This time off allows her to mentally and physically heal after giving birth. Additionally, the mother can nurse the baby and acquire the sleep that is needed to bounce back.

The father of the baby should continue to work and support his family. Taking time off, especially without pay, would cause a financial burden.

If the father believes that he won't get the same "bonding" time with the baby, come home at a decent time, spend time with your family in the evenings, and on the weekends.

As a society, we have become to believe we are entitled equal rights, yet I don't see the father giving birth to children, or women making the same wages as men. This is not an equal rights time, it's a time of what is best for the child. Having the father home at this time doesn't help the mother out.

The only time I could see Paternity Leave being an option was if there were complications in the birth and the mother was unable to take care of the baby herself.

• I disagree

Men should stay at work.....My Father wasn't home with me to bond, why should Fathers get it now?? I'm just as close to my Father even if he wasn't home during the day.
    This Politically correct world is making me sick. I'm a woman and didn't have any kids, I don't even think women should get a year off. I think if you want kids that badly, and like I hear so many Mothers say how much they love their kids, then stay home full time with them. People say they can't afford it. They can't afford it only because they want all the material things in life, which is not always the most important thing.

• i disagree

you have to relize yes the women did it all but relize your husbands gonna be home and doing everything cleaning cooking do it all while you relax sleep do what you need to do so idk why you are saying no if theres a positive side to you women and a good husband would help around the house while you rest

• Paternity Leave for men is unnecessary given the opportunity cost.

Not to get into too hypothetical of an argument, but if companies were forced to give paternity leave to men and women, for months at a time, it would seriously injure the economy and all businesses. This opportunity cost is greater than the necessity for men to be at home with the mother taking care of the baby; on a equal rights standpoint, women are more than able to take care of the baby and themselves. Men can always see and interact with their children after work and on the weekends, there is simply no need to pay two people for months at a time so that they can raise their children.. If a couple wanted some time off with their new child then they should have saved. Its not the burden of the business to fund both of them.

• Yes and No

I feel like the way that society is today that some fathers are not able to take off work, just because many jobs don't offer it. But if they have a good job which they have to have for this to be even considered, then yes. They probably were not home much when the child was conceived.

• They don't need to recover.

A man didn't have no surgery or any pain and no man needed to walk around with a baby inside of them for nine months. When the husband or boyfriend goes to work a lady needs the money for diapers and wipes. The man needs no purpose at the house for the same reasons as a woman or mom.

• Neither parent should get paid leave.

Neither parent should be entitled to paid leave just for having a child. The world is GROSSLY over-populated! If YOU chose to have a child, why should your employer have to pay for it. Just to be civil, understanding, and just, both parents should be able take unpaid leave at their option for a reasonable amount of time (say 12 wks). If you're too poor to take a few months off unpaid, you probably aren't in the appropriate financial situation to even have a child. Simply put - having a child is a very selfish thing to do. If YOU chose to, that's your problem - not your employers or mine or anyone else's.