• Men should absolutely get paternity leave!!!!

Fathers should have just as much of a right to stay home after the birth, adoption, or fostering of a child. Why are they being singled out? All of you "traditionalists" are the reasons why men do not fight for this right. A child is created by two parents and both deserve the equality of paid leave to be a support to their families.

• Absolutely. No brainer.

There is no reason if the family can afford to take it off, they can do it. I took 2 weeks for my first child and taking 3 for my second because we planned better the 2nd time. They should NOT get any pay for it though. Unpaid personal leave though for 12 week? Absolutely should be optional for any parents. Some father's actually do ALOT for their kids and cherish those first months of bonding.

• Yes yes yes

Woman complain that they need time to rest if you need time to rest have the husband home so you can rest more and get back on your feet faster. Many woman say the man should be at work making money paternity leave just like maternity leave is PAID. And men also need to bond with the baby the same amount of time as the mother.

• The Women need the help

They should get Paternity leave, because they need to help out the mom. She can not do all the things she used to because she just had a baby, it's tiring. I am not saying that they should get as much time as the women, but they should get some time off.

• I Say Yes!

I say yes because father's need a little bit of time to recuperate from his wife/girlfriend has the baby. The father deserves time to get to feel how it is to be a dad and to be there with his baby before he has to go back to work .

• A feminist says yes

I am a feminist and not only do I support paid paternity leave, I believe companies should be obligated to give men the choice to take it. If a man is a father he needs time to help the woman during the later stages of pregnancy and after their new born arrives. I don't think fathers should get equal time as women, but 4 months of paternity leave (last two months of pregnancy and first two months after birth) seems right. Fathers have responsibilities and need time too!

• Men should be granted leave

As many of the supporting posts have stated, men should be allowed to stay home with their SO. Women need a lot of rest in the first couple of days. I had two home births and I wasn't even allowed to go to the bathroom unaccompanied for the first 24 hours after delivery. Without my husband taking leave, I would have been stuck in bed helpless. Who knows what would have happened to my kiddos? My husband was able to start his bonding experiences with our children immediately after their birth. We are both very lucky that he was able to take leave.

• Yes for men

How is mother supposed to rest when she is constantly supplying the baby with what he/she needs. If the father was home, the mother could nap while the father changes the diapers and bottle feed the child. A mother needs time to rest after 9 constant months of carrying around this child. A father could carry some of the weight so the mother can get back on her feet.
    This isn't about equal rights, its about the safety and health of the mother and child. Women are tired after childbirth and a tired woman can be cranky, lose her patience, her energy or her mental stability.
    Also the father deserves time with his new child. He was part of making this child, even if he didn't do the hard work. Spending more time with his child as a baby will may make him more attached to this beautiful little boy or girl that his family has been blessed with. The more he is attached, the more he will want to be around later in life. Men who are not around during the recovery process, with the baby, don't know what the are missing because they never bonded with the child.

• Paternity leave strengthens gender equality

Paternity leaves should produce a greater level of gender equality in the workplace. It allows fathers to be more involved with childcare, strengthening their relationship with their significant other. And the extra help allows the mother to get up on her feet faster, restoring energy to also return to work and positioning dual-career earners to recover faster as a unit. While some income is lost to the family, it should be minimal and if they prepare together, more manageable.

Most countries support paternity leaves, and we are behind the ball in the US, much like we are with education.

• The answer is why not?

Parents are held responsible for the raising and upbringing of a child. Therefore whether this child is a month old, a year old, or in their teenage years, both mother and father should be making time for this child. And paternity leave provides this opportunity to fathers, who for many years have been labeled the ones to bring home skrilla and know nothing about changing a diaper. Which is why now is the time for this to change.

• This is a pointless question.

Men do nothing to deserve paternity leave. It is the woman who carry around the baby inside her for 9 months. They are the ones to have to be careful with what they eat, or what they do. The women are the ones gaining weight, and putting more pressure on their back when they fetus starts to grow bigger inside them. Men are to provide for the family. Meaning while the girl is resting, regaining her stability, and caring for the child the man should be bringing home money for her and their child.

• No women did all the work for making the baby fathers did NOTHING!

No, because the father's body did absolutely nothing to make the baby. The father's body doesn't need to recuperate at home nor does the father have his hormones out of whack. If men get paternity leave just to "bond" with the baby then women should get 2 maternity leaves one to recover from giving birth and pregnancy and the other maternity leave to "bond" with the baby.

• Time off for what?!

What does his vagina need to recover from? And what kind of a woman is so dependent on her husband/boyfriend that she needs him taking care of her after doing something as natural as giving birth. A hundred years ago women used to plow the fields, squat, have a baby then go do the wash by hand. When did we get so soft? And what job is it that the father is at for so many hours that he cant come home and cook dinner/clean/feed new baby all in the same day? He doesn't need time off he needs to work harder at home when he finishes his work day.

• I disagree

Men should stay at work.....My Father wasn't home with me to bond, why should Fathers get it now?? I'm just as close to my Father even if he wasn't home during the day.
    This Politically correct world is making me sick. I'm a woman and didn't have any kids, I don't even think women should get a year off. I think if you want kids that badly, and like I hear so many Mothers say how much they love their kids, then stay home full time with them. People say they can't afford it. They can't afford it only because they want all the material things in life, which is not always the most important thing.

• i disagree

you have to relize yes the women did it all but relize your husbands gonna be home and doing everything cleaning cooking do it all while you relax sleep do what you need to do so idk why you are saying no if theres a positive side to you women and a good husband would help around the house while you rest

• Neither parent should get paid leave.

Neither parent should be entitled to paid leave just for having a child. The world is GROSSLY over-populated! If YOU chose to have a child, why should your employer have to pay for it. Just to be civil, understanding, and just, both parents should be able take unpaid leave at their option for a reasonable amount of time (say 12 wks). If you're too poor to take a few months off unpaid, you probably aren't in the appropriate financial situation to even have a child. Simply put - having a child is a very selfish thing to do. If YOU chose to, that's your problem - not your employers or mine or anyone else's.

• Paternity Leave for men is unnecessary given the opportunity cost.

Not to get into too hypothetical of an argument, but if companies were forced to give paternity leave to men and women, for months at a time, it would seriously injure the economy and all businesses. This opportunity cost is greater than the necessity for men to be at home with the mother taking care of the baby; on a equal rights standpoint, women are more than able to take care of the baby and themselves. Men can always see and interact with their children after work and on the weekends, there is simply no need to pay two people for months at a time so that they can raise their children.. If a couple wanted some time off with their new child then they should have saved. Its not the burden of the business to fund both of them.

• Time off for what?

Leave off from work should be dedicated only to the mother. This time off allows her to mentally and physically heal after giving birth. Additionally, the mother can nurse the baby and acquire the sleep that is needed to bounce back.

The father of the baby should continue to work and support his family. Taking time off, especially without pay, would cause a financial burden.

If the father believes that he won't get the same "bonding" time with the baby, come home at a decent time, spend time with your family in the evenings, and on the weekends.

As a society, we have become to believe we are entitled equal rights, yet I don't see the father giving birth to children, or women making the same wages as men. This is not an equal rights time, it's a time of what is best for the child. Having the father home at this time doesn't help the mother out.

The only time I could see Paternity Leave being an option was if there were complications in the birth and the mother was unable to take care of the baby herself.

• Men should not get paternity leave from work.

I think men, should not get paternity leave as they are not of much help with the new member. Most of the men can't take care of the baby and can't even take care of themselves. then there is more work load on the mother. As far as bonding with the child, a good father can bond even in less time, if he spends quality time, instead of quantity.

• Men should not get paternity leave because, by using that logic, women should get two maternity leaves.

The reason maternity leave exists is for giving birth and recovering from child birth, which men cannot do. So, the basis for paternity leave would be a "mental break" from their work, and women can fall into this category as well. So therefore, if men get paternity leave, women should get an extra maternity leave, regardless of having a child.

Posted by: elizafekla