• Equality for all.

Men should be given more time off 3 -6 month minimum.
    The reason shared parental leave is not taken by men is because its impossible to support a family on £140 A WEEK.
    Id rather put good food on the table and give my child a better start in life.
    Women and Men should get 90% pay first 3 months 50% pay next 3 months. Statutory next 6 months. Men only off for 6 months.
    Maybe regulate how many times you can claim it in a 5 year period.
    It's not right the way it is just now.

• Paternity leave is absolutely important

We didnt get out of the hospital until 4 days after we went in. Was I supposed to leave and go to work? Get real. The bonding experience between a new family is a huge factor in proper child development. Preventing or restricting the father from being part of that is selfish and should be punished. Unfortunately the only thing I can do to get my point across is turn in my two weeks.

• Yes for sure

Baby, my hub needs a paternity leave, i need all the help i can get, girl i can sleep and take a break from all this while he helps me and washes dishes, the laundry, cook , and even feed the baby if you dont breast feed!!!!!!!! So agreee with me and put a like, men should have paternity leave from work.

• Equal Opportunity...Equal Benefits

If both mom and dad wanted a baby, no one should complain about the hardships of giving birth or taking care of the home while mom is recuperating. Your choice, deal with the consequences. But if you're giving mom a paid vacation, then dad should get a paid vacation, too.

• Men and Women should be paid equally during paternity leave.

Being an equal parent is everything, having that bond with your partner is what keep a relationship healthy. FMLA allows employees to get 12 workweeks off, but in the fine print it mentions that those 12 workweeks are unpaid. Most men won't take those 12 weeks due to the fact of it being unpaid, but some employers have made it a part of their policy to allow 12 workweeks of paid leave. Some have also made it a point to allow more time than 12 weeks. Many countries have allowed fathers off for up to 6 months. Studies have shown it is healthier for the child and mother after birth is the spouse/parent is bonding with them. Though mothers suffer physical pain, and mental, the spouse is a support system for the mother. Having both parents is healthy for everyone.

• Yes. Paternity leave embodies gender equality.

Paternity leave strengthens their sense of responsibility and promotes family harmony. Men and women can share equal responsibility for the family. The establishment of equal partnership and the husband's more participanting in family affairs can reduce the family binding on women and help to realize harmonious development of both sexes.

• Dead or Alive

It is within the upmost importance as to why men should get paid paternal leave. Sure, women experience far more physical pain than men do, HOWEVER men have to deal wit the constant complaining and yapping that the women so easily provide. Therefore men should get paid far more money.F

• Dead or Alive

• Yes, men should get paternity leave from work!!

The reason why I think men should get paternity leave from work is because every parent wants to see the baby's first steps and hear their baby's first word, and now that we have technology, we can film them. However, we never know when they're going to do it or not!! Also, the women are going to be exhausted after carrying the baby for 9 months, so, the husband should be allowed to have paternity leave because they should take care of their wife and baby!! And, I know, men can't breastfeed, but that doesn't mean that they can't take paternity leave!!

• Take care of wife/ girlfriend.

You say he needs to go work and support family, but he needs to take care of their newborn when his wife is recovering. Why hire someone when you can help take care of the child and bond with him/her? Final conclusion : men should get paternity leave from work.

• This is a pointless question.

Men do nothing to deserve paternity leave. It is the woman who carry around the baby inside her for 9 months. They are the ones to have to be careful with what they eat, or what they do. The women are the ones gaining weight, and putting more pressure on their back when they fetus starts to grow bigger inside them. Men are to provide for the family. Meaning while the girl is resting, regaining her stability, and caring for the child the man should be bringing home money for her and their child.

• No women did all the work for making the baby fathers did NOTHING!

No, because the father's body did absolutely nothing to make the baby. The father's body doesn't need to recuperate at home nor does the father have his hormones out of whack. If men get paternity leave just to "bond" with the baby then women should get 2 maternity leaves one to recover from giving birth and pregnancy and the other maternity leave to "bond" with the baby.

• Time off for what?!

What does his vagina need to recover from? And what kind of a woman is so dependent on her husband/boyfriend that she needs him taking care of her after doing something as natural as giving birth. A hundred years ago women used to plow the fields, squat, have a baby then go do the wash by hand. When did we get so soft? And what job is it that the father is at for so many hours that he cant come home and cook dinner/clean/feed new baby all in the same day? He doesn't need time off he needs to work harder at home when he finishes his work day.

• Neither parent should get paid leave.

Neither parent should be entitled to paid leave just for having a child. The world is GROSSLY over-populated! If YOU chose to have a child, why should your employer have to pay for it. Just to be civil, understanding, and just, both parents should be able take unpaid leave at their option for a reasonable amount of time (say 12 wks). If you're too poor to take a few months off unpaid, you probably aren't in the appropriate financial situation to even have a child. Simply put - having a child is a very selfish thing to do. If YOU chose to, that's your problem - not your employers or mine or anyone else's.

• Paternity Leave for men is unnecessary given the opportunity cost.

Not to get into too hypothetical of an argument, but if companies were forced to give paternity leave to men and women, for months at a time, it would seriously injure the economy and all businesses. This opportunity cost is greater than the necessity for men to be at home with the mother taking care of the baby; on a equal rights standpoint, women are more than able to take care of the baby and themselves. Men can always see and interact with their children after work and on the weekends, there is simply no need to pay two people for months at a time so that they can raise their children.. If a couple wanted some time off with their new child then they should have saved. Its not the burden of the business to fund both of them.

• I disagree

Men should stay at work.....My Father wasn't home with me to bond, why should Fathers get it now?? I'm just as close to my Father even if he wasn't home during the day.
    This Politically correct world is making me sick. I'm a woman and didn't have any kids, I don't even think women should get a year off. I think if you want kids that badly, and like I hear so many Mothers say how much they love their kids, then stay home full time with them. People say they can't afford it. They can't afford it only because they want all the material things in life, which is not always the most important thing.

• i disagree

you have to relize yes the women did it all but relize your husbands gonna be home and doing everything cleaning cooking do it all while you relax sleep do what you need to do so idk why you are saying no if theres a positive side to you women and a good husband would help around the house while you rest

• Time off for what?

Leave off from work should be dedicated only to the mother. This time off allows her to mentally and physically heal after giving birth. Additionally, the mother can nurse the baby and acquire the sleep that is needed to bounce back.

The father of the baby should continue to work and support his family. Taking time off, especially without pay, would cause a financial burden.

If the father believes that he won't get the same "bonding" time with the baby, come home at a decent time, spend time with your family in the evenings, and on the weekends.

As a society, we have become to believe we are entitled equal rights, yet I don't see the father giving birth to children, or women making the same wages as men. This is not an equal rights time, it's a time of what is best for the child. Having the father home at this time doesn't help the mother out.

The only time I could see Paternity Leave being an option was if there were complications in the birth and the mother was unable to take care of the baby herself.

• Men should not get paternity leave from work.

I think men, should not get paternity leave as they are not of much help with the new member. Most of the men can't take care of the baby and can't even take care of themselves. then there is more work load on the mother. As far as bonding with the child, a good father can bond even in less time, if he spends quality time, instead of quantity.

• Men should not get paternity leave because, by using that logic, women should get two maternity leaves.

The reason maternity leave exists is for giving birth and recovering from child birth, which men cannot do. So, the basis for paternity leave would be a "mental break" from their work, and women can fall into this category as well. So therefore, if men get paternity leave, women should get an extra maternity leave, regardless of having a child.

Posted by: elizafekla