Should Mentally Challenged People Be In A Class With Regular Kids?

Asked by: provideoman123
  • Yes they should, BUT

As long as these MC people can cope up with the class. If this MC person cannot do well in a class with regular kids then it would be more disadvantageous for him to go there. Another problem is when the regular kids does not accept him and bully him. It would lead the person to severe depression and lack of social skills.

• Right to Equality!!

It does not matter if the person is mentally retarded or not!! They all were born as human and each and every human being have their own right to EQUALITY!! They should not be treated indifferently or else they will feel violated in front of the society!! They may require special attention yes, but it does not mean that They must be separated from the normal people!!

• Of course they should!

I have been interacting with mentally challenged kids my whole life. I consider them my friends. And of course I want my friends to be in the same class as me. But that's just my own opinion. The truth is, they should definantly be in the same class because that is a great learning opportunity for them to learn how to behave and respect. But, they should have a shadow in the classroom to help out with certain items because they are less capiible of things we take for granted. All in all, mentally challenged kids should be in the same class as regular kids.

• It is an excellent learning experience

In both my elementary and high schools, we had mentally challenged students incorporated in our classes. They were usually accompanied by a shadow, but they were involved in the class discussion and even at times took a modified version of the tests and quizzes. Some student's challenges were more severe- for example down-syndrome or high-spectrum autism, while others were less so. Firstly, these students are completely aware that they are labelled differently than others. Just because they are mentally challenged, it does not mean that they cannot understand that people treat them differently, usually with inferiority. They deserve, just as anyone else does, to be incorporated in a normal environment!
    Secondly, speaking from experience, I probably learned more from having these students in my classroom than from my teachers' lesson plans. At younger ages, students were not very accepting of them, but as we aged, we learned tremendous lessons. We learned that good things come in surprising packages- these students were often the most gracious, innocent and kind students, and they really lent a level of maturity to the grade that would otherwise be absent. It taught us that not everyone needs to look the same, have the same manner of speech, thought processes, mannerisms, preferences etc. I learned to be accepting of others, to treat everyone equally, and most of all that everyone has something to contribute to make this world a greater place.

• Mentally Challenged People Are People Too

Of course they should be integrated within the community. I have seen the difficulty of special needs kids having trouble making friends and interacting with people. They should be treated as equals and not inferiors. If they are in a class with regular people, they will learn social skills and make friends easily. Some people just need a little more help to succeed.
    Teachers, parents, and students, unite with me in solidarity!

Note: I am not mentally challenged in any way, I actually have a high-functioning brain with superior intellect. It is that intellect which led me to determine that mentally challenged students need a place in society as well. As you can see, I am a very considerate and courteous person. This is not supposed to be narcissistic, nor is it bragging. I am only here to help others.

• No if the following applies.

It depends on the situation. Can this student complete course work required from other regular students? Can this student succeed? It is fine this student be given extra time (2 x normal testing time) but this student MUST complete the same work expected on other students. So same quizzes, tests and exam. If this student (try the best he/she could) and still cannot accomplish it, then this student should not be in a class with regular kids.

• Is it really in anyone's best interest?

If their handicap affects their developmental capacity to the point that they are unable to keep up with the rest of the class then no. It's not fair to the other kids in the class to be held back and deprived of a challenging pace in order to accommodate the challenged student.

It's also not fair to drop a student into a class who is not on par mentally with the rest of his or her peers, as it would be cruel and embarrassing for him or her to experience being at the bottom of the group academically during a time when they are coming to terms with the life challenges and struggles ahead of them about why they are different and what that means for them.

• Everyone learn at their pace

Just as AP classes exist for smarter students, mentally challenged students should have classes that go to their pace, instead of being left behind or slowing down a whole class, it may sound rude, but classes are not for making friends, they are for learning. These classes should be held in the same school, and during breaks the students can interact with their community regardless of the classes they are in. Everyone learns at a different pace and separating students will benefit them by tending to their individual needs.

• Kids need to learn!

School is a place for kids to learn, not make friends. While it's nice if they make friends, schools are primarily for education. If a mentally-challenged student is holding a class back with their disability, they need to get out and be in a class with other kids at their rate. Forcing them to try to learn things they can't learn or pushing them to learn too fast won't help anyone.

• It Would Benefit Nobody

Mentally challenged students, by definition, are students who are in some way handicapped mentally. Such students often require what we call, at least in the USA, "special ed." "Special ed" teachers are people who know how to instruct students with mental disabilities. On the other hand, teachers who have studied teaching and teaching alone will have a harder time teaching a class with students who now range from straight A future geniuses to students who are mentally deficient. Now, if this "mentally challenged" student suffers from a disability that does not in any way interfere with their learning, then they should by all means be allowed to participate in normal class. However, students who are mentally handicapped to the point where they will affect the class negatively as a result of their participation should be relegated to specialized teachers who are trained to handle them.