Should Michael Vick's animal cruelty conviction have prevented him from returning to the NFL?

• Disgusting piece of trash

He deserves to be castrated and tortured, just like anyone else who has ever abused an animal or another human. The title of "human being" does not apply to people like him. The NFL should never have let him play again at the VERY LEAST. Anyone convicted of a crime should never be allowed to play a professional sport.

• He is not sorry

Some of the dogs were rescued and in loving homes with other dogs. Micheal Vick was quoted years after saying "I don't care about those dogs" when given a chance to hear about how one of the dogs is doing. I hope he rots in hell for eternity. He had 2 family dogs and he put them in the "pit" to be killed. These were dogs that his children loved. He is a heartless human being and he doesn't deserve to even have his children.

• A role model for your children?

Playing professional football is a privilege, players should be held to a high standard. Footballers are role models for millions of children and allowing these role models to continue playing football after they have committed such horrific crimes of abuse gives children and other members of society the message that that's ok. It is not ok, if you hold professional athletes to a higher standard with no tolerance for any crimes than thats what society will also do.

• Poor animals !!!

Animals should be kept as pets and nothing more. So when you start making them fight for money, you have crossed a major red line. He should not be able to even free roam. He should be in jail not playing football and making lots and lots of money. Fire Vick from football.

• The moral decline of the US.

I think who a person or country idolizes says a lot about that person or country. The fact that the public can completely overlook the utterly malicious acts that Micheal Vick committed just because he was good at football says a lot about the US. That we dont care that this man hung, drowned, and electrocuted innocent dogs just for the money. I dont think he should continue being an idol to anybody. His crimes are an embarrassing stain on the NFL's record, and the NFL pretending none of these crimes happened says a lot about the morales of his fans.

• The moral decline of the US.

• Sadistic animal torturer

ANIMALS HAVE FEELINGS. They deserve to be treated with respect as any human does. Animals feel fear, pain, happiness , just like humans do. Vick should never be allowed to play professionally sports again! He should be treated the same way he treated his dogs..Tortured, killed, and left in a hole

• He should be treated the way he treated those poor dogs.

He is not deserving of the title "human being". I used to watch NFL but do not since they have allowed this monster back.

How has he been allowed to even own dogs?? I cannot believe he has repented. He just says what he thinks he has too.

I have read books that described what he did...The only way I could get through them was to know that there was a happy ending for some ..

• What else could he do!

Michael Vick is a monster. He has stated on several occasions that he has no regrets about what he did to those dogs."In all, four dogs get the bucket and four the leash, although not all of them are as lucky as the first dog. Some of them swing from the rope, gasping and shaking, eyes bulging, blood trickling from the corners of their mouths as they slowly strangle. Even when they are finally cut down, they are not quite dead, so they too have their heads stuck in the bucket." If a man could do this to an innocent dog then what could he do to his wife? Or his kids? When asked in an interview if he would change anything about his life he said nothing, when asked if he was sure he said "I would shorten my prison sentence" Really? He is not sorry about what he did and has stated if he hadn't got caught he would still be fighting dogs. This is not a man America's children need to be looking up too.

• YES he is no better than anybody else.

Why should he be given slack? Cause he is talented? There are plenty of good young men waiting to be in his position and who wont take advantage of it. People say that hurting dogs isn't that bad and he served his time but it doesn't mean he deserves to play. Even though it wasn't the worst crime to commit it still gives kids, even other athletes the idea that they can get away with it too. How bad do the crimes have to be before the NFL bans these criminals from the field.

• How quickly we forget about slavery

I have no issues with animals and have owned several as pets...But they are in no way, shape or form as valuable as a human life...But like animals, slaves were bought and sold and domesticated according to the desires of the white man...But ironically, a black life didn't and doesn't equate to the same value as a white man's dog or cat...

• No!

He did his time. In fact I think he did too much time.

• As disgusting as his charges were, he should not be treated any differently from any other citizen.

Mr. Vick is, or was, a role model to kids and he should be ashamed of himself. But, he was prosecuted and served his time, and he should not be held to a higher standard than what the law currently demands of the rest of us.

Posted by: MarsBIue
  • Michael Vick has the right to play, because he has already paid the price of his actions by serving time in prison.

Michael Vick has already paid the price for his animal cruelty charges, which were rather harsh. It is now time for society to forgive Vick for his crimes and allow him to move on in his life, and make a living for himself. Therefore, there should be no problem with Michael Vick's return to the NFL.

Posted by: StupidShawn59
  • Michael Vick's animal cruelty conviction should not have prevented him from returning to the NFL, because he served his time.

Vick should have been allowed to return to the NFL, provided he could still perform at an NFL level. His conviction had nothing to do with football, and playing football will not expose him or animals to anything that would bring about a possible repeat of that behavior. Vick served his time, and should be allowed to return to his employment, as long as he is capable of doing so.

Posted by: OnfBIeak
  • Having a criminal past should not exclude people from any type of employment that isn't directly related to the specific crime, as everyone is bound to make mistakes.

While the crime that Michael Vick committed was cruel, I think that everyone deserves a second chance. That being said, it is also true that a convicted thief shouldn't expect to be hired at a bank. It is unknown to many Americans, but a large percentage of our population is currently incarcerated. And if we restrict them from employment after release, we are dooming them and ourselves to repeated crime. Michael Vick is an extreme example, due to the career he has, but all deserve a second chance.

Posted by: daveyxh
  • Athletics are a form of entertainment. If he is banned then any artist, musician, or actor who has ever done drugs should be be banned from their line of work.

Michael Vick is an entertainer. Nothing more, nothing less. If a parent allows his or her child to be more influenced by an entertainer they've likely never met and certainly don't know well than by those around them then it is that parent who should be prevented from having the title of "parent" and have it changed to babysitter.

• NO

He relizes that he made a mistake and he will probly never do that again. He is still just as good QB before and after he did the dog fighting

• Football isn't the appropriate venue for settling moral disputes.

He's done his time, let me play. Let me preface this by saying I'm not a michael vick fan. But that's besides the point. When you commit a crime in the U.S. you serve your time and then move on with your life. If people want to make this a moral issue, than boycott his games. Afterall, the fans are who pays Vick's salary. Otherwise, let him move on with his life.

• If NFL rules are such that any other equivalent conviction would end someone's career, then he should be prevented, but I don't think that is the case.

I do agree that what he did was wrong, but he has already answered to the legal authorities about this event (and I assume stopped the behavior). Ending his NFL career is only right if there was a policy for everyone that a conviction results in not being allowed to play anymore. Otherwise it's just a reaction to one highly publicized case, and that isn't fair. Even though he made a big mistake, other players have done equal or worse things and been allowed to play.

Posted by: Qu3yNea