Should Middle and High Schools Have Advanced Classes For All Grades?

Asked by: KatyMaggs
  • Of course They Should!

Many schools are denying the proper education for highly intelligent children. These children are called gifted. They aren’t always “just smart.” These are the people who have an innovative way to solve problems and quickly react to what is presented to them. These are the people who will read the back of containers just because there is nothing for them to do or learn, imagine that in the classroom. The teacher might have kids solving problems on white boards, but to the gifted child it is just review, so they doodle or read their book. It looks like the child is unmotivated, or not paying attention because they don’t understand what is being presented. Then the teacher continues teaching this review until the gifted kid “get’s it.”
    Schools go out of their way to give children with disabilities the same right to learn as any other kid, but what about the gifted kids? They are the future of the human race. These are the amazing people who go in the history books.
    Imagine being in a classroom and being taught first grade work when you are in eighth grade, and being asked to actively participate and pay attention. It makes no sense. This is how the gifted kids feel. If you asked a teacher whom the gifted kids in the classroom, they will probably point out the Bright kids, the kids who actively participate and get good grades. They would not point out the actual gifted kids, who normally don’t participate often.
    Some kids take longer to understand a concept, especially in math, and that’s fine, but for these gifted kids, they simply need to be told how to do something and they do it. For example, last year we were all forced to figure out on our own how to find the volume of a cube, which I figured by myself out during NWEA’s in fourth grade, and when she asked, “How do think we do this?” I raised my hand, and she picked someone whose hand wasn’t raised. And people wonder why I participated in class so actively in 4th grade, and not in 5th.
    If you are gifted and have ADHD it is even unfair because even if you weren’t gifted you would still be bored. Last year, (wow fifth grade was not a good year for me) I got really bored so I brought a quiet fidget spinner to school and simply span it under my desk, no harm right? NO! My teacher banned fidget spinners, but whenever I brought a stress ball people stole it from me, but it didn’t properly engage me anyway. I had to BUY a fidget cube and even then I wasn’t allowed to use it in a situation that wasn’t “stressful.” The teachers didn’t realize I wasn’t stressed; I was bored, and made it way harder for me.
    Now that I’m in 6th grade, and actually learning new things, it’s not as bad.