Should middle school and high school nurses be able to distribute condoms and other forms of birth control to students?

• There's Seperation of Church and State

For the argument saying that distributing contraceptives goes against religion, there is such a law that separates church and state. If we must uphold this one particular belief, then we would need to get rid of meat in the school due to some religions that do not allow the consumption of such products, just to name one. The amount of potential beliefs that would need to be observed by the school is beyond ridiculous and would only cause problems. Also, in doing so, this would offend the atheist population because it completely ignores their views. Allowing the distribution of condoms and birth control will not cause people to have sex, only stop unwanted pregnancies that happen. Like it or not, parents need to realize that they're going to have sex regardless if the contraceptive is available or not.

• Preventing teen pregnancies and the spread of STDs is more important than a moral code.

The rate of teen pregnancies indicates that a large number of teenagers are sexually active no matter what moral code adults try to enforce. By distributing birth control, school nurses could reduce the long term effects that these actions have on teenagers' lives. Although some people may object on the ground that schools should not be encouraging students to have sex, it is quite clear that they already are.

Posted by: g0thik0rgi
  • Students are sexually active and to prevent pregnancies and transmission of disease, condoms should be provided.

Studies have shown that the abstinence only method of teaching sex education is a failure. If students are sexually active, they run the risk of pregnancy and disease transmission, so wouldn't it make sense for them to be provided with condoms? Kids don't always have jobs to buy them or may be too embarrassed to go purchase them, and if they were available from school nurses, then maybe at least they would be practicing safe sex habits.

Posted by: 54IInferno
  • School nurses should be allowed to distribute birth control to students. Many young adults are sexually active and all steps possible should be taken to prevent teen pregnancy and STD transmission.

There is nothing wrong with teaching abstinence in schools; however, not all kids are going to abstain from sex. It would be irresponsible not to prepare and protect those who will decide to be sexually active. Any measures that can be taken to prevent pregnancy and disease among teens should be utilized, and offering birth control in schools is one of the ways to do this. It offers an option to those kids who, for example, may not feel comfortable going to there parents or into a drug-store to buy condoms. Why not offer as much guidance to them as possible?

Posted by: M4rc3Gato
  • Yes

I am also a teenager myself. Some parents are out there not doing what they are supposed to do. Most kids get more involved with the schools nurse, because I myself am very close to them and able to talk to them about anything that comes up. The nurse giving the student a chance to decide whether they want to do is wrong or right is secretly up to them. So kids should be able to receive birth control from the nurse that is in there such school.

• Protecting teenagers before unplanned children.

I am a teen myself and I do think condoms should be in schools because it is a very scary subject to talk about with your parents especially if you grew up in a religious environment and everybody telling you from right to wrong it gets you thinking and in the end your going to do what you wanted when it comes down to it teenagers are going to have sex and giving out condoms does not encourage sex but encourages it in safety way. It does not promote sex either because if you don't want to engage in that you will easily say no! It's not the best idea for teenagers to be having sex, I know that now but it happens. I think it's the schools responsibility to teach kids about it, (aside from the parents) instead of just preaching the whole no sex thing. If kids want condoms, they're at least tiring to be safe, so why deny that?

• Parents think about it!

I am a 17 year old senior in high school, since day one of my freshman year I have been hearing "yea I hooked up with this guy/girl on the weekend." To eyeslikethat, its is not likely that any teen will go to there parents about contraceptives or even thinking about having sex its inevitable. Yes I see the point that it might say parents are approving of their teens sexual activity but think of it this way, there wont be such a concern about std's an teen pregnancies in school. We are in school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 9 months out of the year we spend most of our time at school. We don't want to go to our parents because we know you all will flip out or give us a lecture. It should be our choice not yours, if we trust you enough to tell you all that we are sexually active that is our choice. In the school that do have contraceptives available in the school it has been statistically proven that the teen pregnancy rate an std rate went down, and that the teen sexual activity rate stayed the same or changed very little. Wouldn't you rather have your teen decide for themselves an make the choice to protect themselves. Instead of being afraid to go to you or ask you for contraceptive and end up with a std or a baby? So parents please think about what is going on in your teens head, they are their own person an have a very different outlook then you do or did on this.

• Teen pregnancy is like the elephant in the room no one likes to speak about, but it's still there!

I am an 18 year old student at nor view high school. I can't tell you how many young ladies that had a promising future is or was pregnant. Statistics even show that women who have children as teenagers tend to get lower education than women who wait. I know that if I were a parent I would rather have my teen say "I would like to be on birth conrol" to a nurse than "Mommy I'm pregnant" to me.

• Teen pregnancy is like the elephant in the room no one likes to speak about, but it's still there.

I am an 18 year old attending nor view high school. In my senior year I can count more than seven young ladies who are now teen mothers and struggling to get through high school. In a changing world comes new responsibility and different focal points. Statistics even prove that young ladies who have children at younger ages tend to get lower degrees than women who wait to have children. I know that if I were a parent I would rather have my teen say "I'm interested in birth control?" Than "mommy I'm pregnant."

• It does NOT encourage sex (I am a teen too)

In a 2005 American Academy of Pediatrics report, researchers concluded that "an increase in awareness and availability of emergency contraception (Plan B)to teens does not change reported rates of sexual activity or increase the frequency of unprotected intercourse" (Haupt). Specifically speaking of "Plan B", I think it should be limited in school distribution (ex: three times for every student) to prevent any possible abuse of it. It has an 85% success rate. Knowing this, many students would not take advantage of "Plan B" and use it in lieu of a condom and birth control because there is still a chance one could become pregnat. Secondly i do think schools should be allowed to give out birth control (by qualified psychians and nurses!) and condoms to students without limit. Reason being is because some students cannot afford protection but will still have sex regardless. It is in human nature to desire psychical contact with another. Many religons do condem pre-marital sex, however that only encourages teen pregnacy. Truth be told the more religous a state is the higher the teen pregnacy rate will be. Reason being is the kids are taught to remain pure and stay virgins until marriage, but due to horomones and such they will engage in sexual activity anyways. Being shamed of their actions they will avoid use of contraceptives (birth control, condoms etc) thus resulting in unprotected sex. If you do not believe me look up the statistics. The rate is especially high in southern states (known for their religous zeal). All in all sex education should be reinforced but students will continue to have sex regardless of how much it is pushed on them to remain abstinent. Ergo, contraceptives should be readily availiable to prevent tragic stories. I am looking at this from a very unbiased logical point of view. I have taken several psychology courses and I am a virgin myself, and I do not feel the need to have unprotected sex ( or more sex) just because I know there are contraceptives out there for me to use (and emergency contraceptives). the price of getting pregnat is still to high. It is unwise to take all students for "know nothings". People should focus on creating a prevention and safetey net of resources for students in regards to health, not complete ignorance that the government should stay out of it because it might offend people. There should be an opt-in form to have parental approval of possible resources and care their student may recieve. The health care needs (and medications/contraceptives) of the whole entire student body should not be dismissed because of exceptionally religous families. The famlies who oppose it should not force their opinions and judgement on all students when in fact the other students do not have the same "no sex before marriage" beliefs. They themselves should just choose to opt out of it (or the others can choose to opt in).

Posted by: arin
  • It encourages sex.

I am a teen that is practicing abstinence, and I know that between the school offering condoms and my friends peer pressuring me to partake in intercourse, I do not know for sure whether or not I could resist the sexual urges brought about by teenage hormones. Also, it is anti-religious to offer condoms in PUBLIC schools, considering that many religions condemn premarital sex, and the government therefore, should not be stepping in and offering it to children.

• Nooo. children should not even be having sex.

Only parents should have those rights. By giving a child forms of birth control yes you are encouraging safe sex however you are also encouraging a child to have sex. If you are in a relationship that is serious then you can hold off until you are old enough to get married.

• It is a Public School, Not a Public Clinic!

Schools are meant to teach students, whether it be about History, English, or Mathematics. The purpose of schools is to teach and inform the students about certain criteria. Therefore, school prepares the students for the next step, college or the real life. Now, with this being said, public schools do not freely provide a college acceptance for their students. By this I mean that the public schools inform students about the college experience but do not guarantee or supply a student's acceptance to one. In comparison, contraceptives should not be offered, just like college accceptance is not freely offered in public schools. Personally, I encourage better sex education since the purpose of a school is to teach! Just as a public school would not provide a student's acceptance to a college, but rather education on college, a public school should not provide contraceptives, but education on sex. If students want contraceptives, let them go to where it is meant to be offered, clinics.

• Birth control should NOT be provided to high school and middle school students, because it encourages sexual activity

First of all, whether or not SOME parents believe that providing birth control at schools DOES'NT encourage sexual activity, they are WRONG. Being a teen myself, if my school were to go and start giving out birth control, I myself would definitely want to try sex (just want- id try not to) but I can GUARANTEE that 90% of my friends would do it. Right now there might be students that are already active- and that is THEIR CHOICE; However, what about the high school students that are trying to wait? The middle school students that probably dont know about it? Or the parents that are desperately trying to help their kids to remain abstinent? Those kids are going to change their minds if sex is basically put on the table with a note that says "Here, no consequences." Furthermore, pregnancy is not the only thing that could happen to a student who is sexually active. It's been PROVEN that sexual activity creates an emotional bond that is almost impossible to push past, and can leave many teens feeling worthless and depressed when they lose the person they had that bond with. After all, how many students are honestly going to end up marrying their high or middle school sex buddy? NOT MANY. As far as I'm concerned, THE HUMAN RACE HAS LOST IT'S MORALS. If this were to be proposed in the 1930's or 1950's (when people were more strict, religious, or what i call smart) it probably wouldn't have been accepted. THE SCHOOLS SHOULD NOT PROVIDE BIRTH CONTROL, AND INSTEAD SHOULD FOCUS ON PROVIDING BETTER SEX ED!

• Middle school and high school nurses should not be able to distribute condoms and other forms of birth control, because the child is underage, and the parent should be involved.

Although there are many underage children who make decisions to have sex, doing something like giving middle school and high school children condoms or other forms of birth control should only be done with the consent of parents. Giving children these items makes it seem like adults are approving of their action and, as children, the approving action should be done by the parents.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • makes it look like it is ok

being a young mother at the age of 18 now but having my son at 16 i would have to say it is a bad idea. I was given out birth control in school and it just mad em think well if im using condoms and birth control they dont care! looking back no i wish i would have been more educated on sex and everything that comes with it rather than a few health classes on stds and pregnancy! the classes were COMMON SENSE...I feel that giving away birthcontrol and condoms is like just telling young kids to go and have sex, the young mind cannot process what it really means to be sexually active.

• Birth Control is extremely harmful to a young person's body.

Although condoms are not as dangerous, birth control can ruin a young person's body that has not reached full development. When a minor takes birth control, they hinder the development of their female organs. The damage done to the female organs has, in most cases, is so severe that the young female will be unable to produce children when ready to years down the road. I believe it is unacceptable to be making such harmful medicine available to MINORS.

• Sex is a matter to be dealt with between teens and their parents.

It's as simple as that. Talk to your parents about it. Think everything through before engaging in sexual activity. And I must criticize the opening statement of g0thik0rgi on the "Yes" side: if it is to abstinence you are referring to as a "moral code" and that preventing teen pregnancies and the spread of STDs is more important than such, wouldn't your statement be contradicting itself seeing that abstinence is the best way to prevent teen pregnancies and the spread of STDs, and the fact that "they already are" having sex is simply the result of adults not "enforcing" abstinence on their kids in the first place?

• That is like saying go have sex

by giving students condoms you are showing them that sex is okay at a young age. There should be somewhere students should be able to pick them up but students showed not be handed condoms.

• Middle and high school students should not be distributing condoms and other forms of birth control to students.

All the distribution of condoms and other contraceptives to middle and high school students does is normalize sex amongst themselves. It promotes sex among adolescents. America was built on its morals, and sex from middle school is not one of them. The government has no place in distributing these materials to students.

Posted by: RayEar