Should middle school students be drug tested?

Asked by: jfp.emma
  • YES It is good!!!!!!!!!

Should students be tested for drugs at school?Schools want a tobacco drug alcohol free school. Schools use DARE but their research shows it doesn’t work. So instead schools want to do drug testing. Drug tests are usually in the form of a urinalysis it to text marijuana cocaine PCP and opioids. The purpose is to identify students Who may have a substance use problems and referring them to treatment. However, in many cases more pallets of measures such as dismissal from extracurricular activities or expulsion have occurred. According to centeronaddiction.Org “There are currently no federal laws regarding school based drug testing. However, there are 2 Supreme Court cases that Grant public schools the authority to conduct drug testing in certain circumstances: 2. In 1995, the court ruled that it was legal for schools to randomly test student athletes. 2. In 2002 that really was expanded to include students who participate in a competitive extracurricular activity such as marching band or chess club.” So drug test are completely legal.
    THE GOOD AND BAD
    GOOD- drug testing allows for early detection and intervention
    Students have a built in reason to resist peer pressure, a well known reason why kids experiment with drugs
    Schools are fulfilling their duty in promoting a safe and drug-free environment
    It increases chances for students have a successful future

• It’s for kid’s safety

It just is! OK! YOU GOTS A PROOBLEM WIFF MY ARGOOMANT! Also I just wanna say that from a personal experience (I’m in Middle school lol) that a ton of kids already do drugs, and I live in a really great area. It kind of makes me feel really annoyed and paranoid that I’m surrounded by high people all the time. It makes me feel unsafe and uncomfortable. Just the other day I saw a girl from my school vaping outside of school. Please just give us all drug tests!

• They are at the prime age for induction to gateway drugs

My pastor in his most recent sermon talked about an 11 year old boy who was doing heroin. He revealed that he started doing Molly in 3rd grade. He started Marijuana in kindergarten. He has herpes. It seems obvious we need to extend drug testing to pre-k at the latest

• Kids will do drugs they can't test for

You will be sending the message that all kids are expected to want to be drug users. In general if you send a kid the message that you think they are a bad kid they don't try to prove it wrong, they internalize it and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This could actually lead to more drug use, considering that not all drugs can be tested for. One example is LSD. It can only be detected in spinal fluid. No parent is going to approve of a spinal tap test for drugs since paralysis could result if it is administered incorrectly.

Then there's DXM, I don't know if that can be tested for in theory but in practice it's not and since testing for it would lead to positive results for kids merely treating a bad cough it probably shouldn't be tested for. DXM itself is unlikely to cause a fatal overdose but the other substances in the preparations such as acetaminophen can be deadly. Even if the kids are smart enough to pick out only medications that have DXM listed as the only active ingredient, in large enough doses DXM carries a risk of triggering a psychotic episode and larger still death.

Benadryl also can get people high, and is very easy to overdose on, and produces not just psychosis but a state of delirium where everything seems normal to the user but where what the user perceives isn't really happening (you might see friends who aren't really there or smoke imaginary cigarettes). Most people who do this don't do it again because it is typically not a pleasant high.

And unless the program includes alcohol testing kids will do that too and more so than if drug testing didn't exist. And don't forget cigarettes. There aren't many companies that make nicotine-testing drug kits.

Inhalant abuse might also go up.

There are also drugs like cocaine or amphetamines that are tested for that have very short windows of detection so kids may choose those drugs over marijuana because there is less of a chance of getting caught.

A better idea is education. Teach kids about drugs and tell them the truth. But first educate yourself both about the real risks and about exaggerations produced by both well-meaning people and people with political agendas.

Though I didn't try it until high school one of the biggest reasons I used to smoke weed was because through independent research (which started in middle school on the internet) I found out about all the times distorted studies were used against marijuana. I enjoyed it for awhile but eventually I no longer saw the point. I will tell my kids the truth, that it makes you lazy and feel like goofing off and that risks effecting your grades and possibly preventing or delaying success. If I exaggerate they will find out and then they will use it and possibly other things because I will have damaged my credibility.

• No no no no no no no no no no

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• No no no

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• No i hate

Doing drug tests because they are not useful because what if they got tested and are innocent but they will do it anyways so its not fair for the other kids who don't do drugs because that's just personal invasion, so the kids wont be so cozy with the subject by getting tested

• No because its just wrong ,

Testing for drugs would not cause kids to try it. Sure, teens tend to rebel against what parent and may cause them to try it but that is the case with or without drug testing in schools. Many/most parents don't want to believe that their kids do anything wrong so they probably wouldn't bother testing for something they are sure their kid would never do. If schools tested all students, it may open their eyes to what their kids are actually up to so the parent can get their kid into some kind of treatment. Turning a blind eye to the problem just encourages it.

• It is just wrong