• Minecraft Fun, But Not Educational

My son has fell in love with Minecraft, but the first time I found out he had been playing the game at school, I was a little confused. My son has a lot of fun with Minecraft and it can be challenging for him, however, I would prefer that he be learning the basics while at school. I would rather my child not be allowed to play random games while he is at school.

• Minecraft: The Distraction

Minecraft, although may seem like a positive, creative outlet for students, is detrimental to the student in a school setting. Students do not have great attention spans, and if you allow them another distraction, there would be no feasible way to engage the student in the curriculum. If a student wants to play Minecraft, they should play in their own space on their own time.

• It's a distraction

Minecraft should definitely be banned at schools because they are a distraction to the students. Earlier this year, many people at my school were obsessed with Minecraft. They played it all day, everyday. Some people were also found playing it during class time, when they should have been listening to the teacher. So as you can see, Minecraft is a massive distraction to students, which is why they should be banned at school.

• They definitely should.

It sparks creativity, it can, if used to the guts, be used to teach people the Java programming language and through that comes logic and curiosity. I'm not suggesting to have Minecraft be something that schools can just let their students play during class, or study hall, or anything of that sort, but having a separate class that teaches the Java Programming Language, with some added fun and leisurely activities to go along with it, like CTF or Hunger Games Survival, students would love it, and it would be a good learning environment.

• Minecraft in schools is a bad idea.

Believe me. My school has break periods where kids are allowed to use computers, and more than half of the kids with computers (often the school-distributed ones) are playing Minecraft. They aren't learning anything like people are saying. And really, what educational concepts does Minecraft have? You can reach for things that are about four times the length of your arms and get them, you can breed animals by feeding them, and most blocks don't have physics. Minecraft might teach you some first grade level math, some very basic problem solving skills, but other than that, there isn't much to learn. People are saying it has science and reading and architecture, and even HISTORY, but it really doesn't. You could say it teaches you architecture, but most blocks don't fall, so how can you know if that roof you built would really stay up in real life? And really, how would building a castle help you learn about history? I used to be a big fan of Minecraft, but that was before I witnessed it begin to destroy peoples' friendships and take over their lives. Some people I know have been Minecraft players for 5 or 6 years, and are VERY defensive of it. So, in conclusion, Minecraft has no place in schools. That is, unless you want your students fighting and your teachers' time wasted.

• It has math

Minecraft has the best learning in it it has math survail sceince reading mineing and lava water it has crafting in it you can make wepions boats you can go to the nerther you can build houses uder and above water. In the nearther a bed will exploedand destory you

• It has math

• It should be baned

I believe that can make kids lazy if they can play games right after school also they will have less game time at school and even less time time to do their Homework!!! A estimated 72.3% 0f students who play MINECRAFT at school end up not doing their homework. Most parents make their children do their homework and chores before games. While at school children do neither meaning they quickly can addicted to games and stop doing their homework as I said.

• It should be baned

• Minecraft should be at home

I believe that can make kids lazy if they can play games right after school also they will have less game time at school and even less time time to do their Homework!!! A estimated 72.3% 0f students who play Minecraft at school end up not doing their homework. Most parents make their children do their homework and chores before games. While at school children do neither meaning they quickly can addicted to games and stop doing their homework as I said.

• I'm a Game Design student (Part 1)

Some argue that Minecraft, or games in general are a distraction. Realistically, anything can be classified as a distraction, whether it be spending too much time eating or playing sports when one may be studying instead.

It is time we started looking at games with a different set of lenses. In most modern video games (Triple AAA or indie level) players tackle obstacles that prevent them from advancing. There are goals which the player has to accomplish, but likewise there are also "distractions". If players are doing side quests, or hunting easter eggs, those would be considered distractions in regards to advancing the main goal.

However, interestingly, games reward these distractions with secret items, achievements, or more cut scenes. I think it is this point of view to which we should examine students - as players part of a game world. The main goal of course is to do well, but one can't say that they have to devote 100% of their time to academics - surely we wouldn't expect them to sit in the library during recess to work on that math homework, nor would we expect that they forego lunch to advance their writing skills. So then minecraft is no more or no less a distraction than anything else. Are there detriments though?

Well sure, let's examine the positives first. In Minecraft, players may play cooperatively with each other where they collaborate towards a common goal/against a common foe. There is teamwork and coordination involved.

Probably the most defining feature of minecraft though, is that it is an open world sandbox. Players can create, they can destroy, and ultimately the actions they take will affect the narrative that unfolds for them; they are creating and shaping a unique story each and every playthrough. There is this huge engine of creativity involved. And players are continually learning from this - they are adapting. Whether it be memorizing new crafting patterns, to creating innovative traps, or overcoming certain opponents, this is a skill that gamers share - the ability to assess the consequences of certain player actions.

Sure though, on the other hand, Minecraft may not teach anything academically relevant, but well, neither do sports. Sure, in Minecraft players can PVP and fight each other, but the same competition is found in sports. In fact, competition drives many games. If a game is too easy, player amusement will go down, but likewise if a game is too hard, player amusement will also go down. And we're seeing a trend where gamers demand tougher and tougher gameplay because they are adapting and figuring things out. Heck, even chess has been evolving for thousands of years. In fact, a new iteration of chess - CHESS 2 - is currently being developed for the OUYA console. Gamers are adapting in a realm that is always evolving and expanding.

• Mine craft... Not adistraction

Mine craft is basically math, architecture, earth science, social studies, and engineering all in one fun game. Kids not only learn about resources, they have to create arrays for building homes, and even much more. Now mine craft is not exactly the best school game out there, but it is also not the worst. It shouldn't be played for fun, but as a reward, which is great motivation.

• Minecraft helps me with math

Minecraft is math because when you oginize you inventory its math and you use math to get the right wood to get 64 ladders for your new house or how much wood to craft a wood sword(2 logs) or how much diamonds to get a full set of gear! BRO I WANT MORE MINECRAFT AT MY SCHOOL WHY CANT I HAVE IT HERE BUT I CAN HAVE IT AT MY OLD SCHOOL UGHGHHGHGHGHGHHFGHHHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH #MINECRAFTATALLSCHOOLS

• I don't think that it should be totally banned at every school it just depends on the teachers comfort zone.

Some teachers think that minecraft is a way to make curriculum stick, and are very comfortable using it. Other teachers think it's a waste of time, harmful to their mind and keeping students from reaching their full potential. I can see that it would be a good way of teaching some subjects but a waste of other resources available.

• Not everybody has minecraft. Minecraft is very expensive.

Many kid may be distracted. Nobody can stop them from playing other games so minecraft cannot be 90% of the reason that kids get distracted. Facebook twitter etc. also distract kids.If parent can't stop them, then nobody can. Money should not be a problem. Minecraft is rated everyone for all ages.

• It makes you think

It helps you think of a stratagy if your being attacked,You can build castles for history. Perimiter for math. It can be used for almost for education always basicly. An artical says a teacher likes it for his students thats why I think minecraft should be used at schools for education

• It has math

• It has math

• It has math

cca494 says2015-09-25T20:08:34.330
What IS Minecraft? Now, don't say I'm lame or crazy or anything like that, but I have no idea what it is.
cca494 says2015-09-25T20:08:42.070