• Hands down no

A sport with such violence does nothing positive for society . It might be entertaining to watch someone be victimized in such a way as it's inherent in nature , however our youth already have enough negative , destructive influence . It's as if we're going backwards as human beings . It's not much different than dog fights.

• Yes! MMA should be legal because it is a way of life!

MMA is a way of life for a lot of people in the world, professional or not. Not just MMA but martial arts, so if you have to ban MMA you have to ban all martial arts. People all over the world love to watch MMA and other fighting sports. People who join know what they are getting into and people have to learn from their mistakes, so in essence it is their fault in getting into either a cage or ring.

• It's a sport.

The Oxford dictionary states that a sport is, "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." MMA most certainly meets that criteria. Not only is it a sport, it is an art form. Hence the name "martial arts." These fights take place between two consenting adults, which are knowledgeable of the risks they are taking and at least somewhat knowledgeable in fighting. Finally, countless civilizations before us have done it and to the extreme. Romans had gladiators and the ancient Greeks competed in pankration in the Olympics.

• No one can stop you follow your dreams

Its not like people are forced to fight they choose to. It is amazing what people can do with their bodies mma makes ballet uncordinated plain and simple let people fight. Its no one to tell someone what they can and cant do. What if you were really talented at something and someone said no you cant do it how would you feel

• Yes it is fine.

You should be able to play any sport you want to. Boxing is legal and according to my research boxing is worse. Most of my research points toward that it should be legal. More people have died in boxing than MMA in the past 70 years. MMA should be legal.

• MMA is not just about fighting.

MMA not is just about fighting your opponent. We forget that what you see is a mere portion of what MMA fighters are go through. This shows the discipline that they have for both their opponents and the sport . Children in MMA are taught not only how to deal damage, but to tame the basics of the mind. MMA teaches self control, self discipline, and is also a good workout.

• Yes, it should

There is no reason for it to be illegal. No illegal activities happen during the matches and everything is consensual. There are no deaths in the ring, just fighting. As long as everyone involved consents and knows what they are getting into, MMA should be legal. Other dangerous sports are legal, this one should be, as well.

• Yes they should.

MMA should be legal, as long as both participants are willing adults who are capable of understanding and agreeing to the risks inherent in the sport. Sports like this are why liability forms were created. Plus, if MMA fights are legal, then fights can be attended by medical personal who can treat any injuries at occur on scene, as opposed to waiting for the injured party to be transported to the hospital.

• Yes. It is between consenting adults.

Although I personally do not find it entertaining and think it sends the wrong message to kids by glorifying fighting, it is a form of competition and entertainment that consenting adults are participating in. They know what they are getting into and they are not harming anyone else with their choice.

• When did it become illegal?

I'm assuming we're talking about MMA as in Mixed Martial Arts, here? If so, I'm not sure if I understand the question. From where I sit in the United States, there's nothing illegal about practicing this type of sport fighting. While it could possibly be regulated better, I think that's an issue for a private competition league to address, not the government.

• Sport? Martial? Art? Combat?

There is no sport in combat and no art of note for martial activity. View the aftermath of any battlefield.

Today, especially in the u.S., we have found the drama of human conflict beyond compelling. It is addictive. It is also perverse in a way. While trying to extol some value of discipline and control of the self, blood sport participants and spectators show only the most savage aspects of human behavior. Sportsmanship is largely unknown.

The driving factor, the incentive, for activity so obviously antithetical to peaceful social behavior is, I believe a type of boredom so mind numbing, an aggregate stupidity so overwhelming, that young children (for that is what they are) can only hit each other or cut or kill themselves to feel anything at all. And, in a decade of economic hard time with extremely weak leadership to reinforce core values of peace and harmony we get increasing amounts of panum et cirencus. This horrid spectacle that echoes the brutality of another time from another empire in another place 2,000 years past is no less then a harbinger of our most certain decline among nations.

• Yes, it should be legal

MMA is a mix between cultures. It will teach you discipline, make you physically stronger. It relieves stress, gives you confidence and teaches you self defense. I assume people are saying it shouldn't be legal due to the fact it could be potentially dangerous or people could get injured. Anyone who joins MMA will go in knowing that they could get hurt. You cannot force someone to go in and there's an age limit. This prevents a lot of danger. There are very strict rules such as you can't kick someone who is on the ground, you can't hit in certain places. In addition, it is a sport. Sports such as hockey, football and boxing are actually more dangerous due to the lack of rules within safety. There has been deaths within these sports but not one death has ever been recorded in MMA with the proper, closely monitored rule following. In conclusion, it is a fairly safe sport that mixes cultures, teaches you many different things and no one will ever mess with you if you know MMA ;)

• No, because we have to draw a line somewhere.

I believe mma should be illegal because of the intent to harm that gets played out. The combat sport does not generally embrace the values of martial arts, which are about self defense and developing the whole person without hurting anyone else. If we are to hold respect for self and others as a value to aspire to, then mma should probably be banned as it doesn't generally adhere to this value. It's not an easy call but I think freedom of choice needs to be sometimes limited by an ethos of respect.

• Hands down no

• It both promotes and glamorise violence amongst the youth.

I have only seen this a couple of times on late night tv.
    To be completely honest i was shocked at the level of violence and wondered how it could be broadcast over the Network i was viewing.
    I remember from my younger days watching wrestling and boxing shows on tv, at he time i thought nothing of it as it was promoted as a sport.
    Later years i learned it was in fact a sport, rules were in place and the whole idea was entertainment with minimal chance of the opponents being seriously hurt.
    As time went by i further learned/realised that it was mostly an extremely well managed if not artistic form of entertainment that sill exists today and from time to time i will watch.
    However this MMA stuff in my opinion is just absolutely Barbaric, it is in my opinion as stated above an extremely bad influence on the youth of today.
    If i had my way i would outlaw it completely.
    It has nothing to do with talent, ability, acting or entertainment.
    FTA Tv is currently broadcasting this crap on a channel here in Australia and i am going to spend a lot of time getting it shut down.
    I see absolutely no reason to promote "actual violence" as a sport to our children on television as a game or normality.
    I certainly understand that it's a great money making venture selling these MMA programmes around the place however inciting illegal, violent acts in Australia is against the Law here and on that basis I will make sure that further broadcast of MMA in Australia on FTA TV will be made ILLEGAL in otherwords completely BANNED with severe penalties enforced if failure of compliance.
    Scopemaster.

• Positively definitely no.

It's brutal plain and simple. What possible reason is there to beat on someone else's body? What is the point of getting beat up? Studies show that there is a loss of brain function in people that have been doing this for yrs. I cried when I watched. What is this teaching our youth? And I do not buy the discipline theory.

• Promote violence & brutality .

Let's be clear, this is not a sport. There is no ethic, no message but just the idea of "killing" the opponent.
    I really don't get the point of two people in a cage fighting like this, there is no elegance in those kind of fights.
    This is just brutal and should not be legal.

• No. MMA should not be legal.

While MMA is consensual, like any dangerous consensual act in which there is a significant (albeit small) probability for death or severe injury, there are significant potential legal consequences for its participants. The "sport" itself breeds violence in today's society, and certainly doesn't help with the US's extremely high crime rate.

• Talent , strength and stupidity !!!

The common reason for its popularity is the blood thirst . Just because they are desperate or STUPID enough to enter dose not mean we all have the right to watch them destroy themselfs . If it's illegal to smoke a joint even though you know the dangers or for someone to sell there body for sex , how can this be morally correct ? There's money being made on the corruption of are society .