Should Monsanto be able to sue farmers for bees pollinating their crops with GMOs?

Asked by: jtightlips24
  • The genetic patents still have to be abided

There are certainly some major difficulties with how Monsanto has done this, and there are plenty of ways to point out that they are unethical. However, patent laws are pretty straightforward, and it is entirely possible that people are planting their crops without paying them. It's not just about pollination, after all, and if we could tell the difference, then this wouldn't be an issue at all. Without those patent laws, we wouldn't have anyone pursuing GMOs at all, and I view that as the greater harm.

• Whiteflame is a moron

You cannot patent living things. Monsanto did not invent DNA they are not allowed to patent it. What they do can be thought of a taking something, modifying it and patenting it.

Monsanto is also an evil corporation their former executives now hold positions as heads of the FDA and their former attorney holds a spot on the Supreme Court.

• They have no business destroying others business

You cannot stop bees from pollinating plants. They are only doing it to destroy small farms and crush the competition. Sorry, that is not okay. Small farmers should not have to waste their money for dumbass lawsuits because some evil scumbags are power hungry narcissists. Just shows that America is slowly turning into a police state to serve corporate interests.

• No they should not.

I don't think they have done this. I did some research, and their only lawsuits are when someone violated their contract. I searched, but found nothing saying that they have done this. However, if they have or might do this, then I would completely disagree . . . . .

• They can't and they don't.

I do not understand people. They do not do this, they have made it clear they have no intention on doing this. They only sue farmers who deliberately break their contracts, and most of the time, it is settled without a lawsuit, and they remain customer of Monsanto's. Stop the lies.

• No that's absurd.

Farmers should sue Monsanto for contaminating their crops with GMO's. I can't believe that this company is allowed to even register for patents given their track record of poisoning the earth for the past 100 years. The fact that that they are so protected by government proves that there is a huge conspiracy going on here. No trial necessary, lock them all up!

• No that's absurd.

• Organic farmers should be protected

I think that there are reasons that Monsanto should be allowed to protect their patents, but they should not be able to sue a farmer for involuntarily utilizing their patents via bees that they cannot control. I think that is unfair to the regular farmers and an abuse of their patent.

• No it isnot something to sue

It is unfortunate that the incidents have occurred but they are not grounds for a suit. There was no real negligence in the incident. The incident was an accident and really could not have been helped in any way. To think you should be compensated for the accident is not right.

• Farmers should be able to sue Monsanto for bees pollinating their crops with GMOs.

Monsanto should not be able to hold farmers accountable for Monsanto's lack of control of their seeds. Monsanto manufactures a product and should assume responsibility for all aspects of it as other manufacturers would. Rather, farmers should be able to sue Monsanto for bees polluting their crops by pollinating them with GMOs.

• Farmers Buy Crops, Then It's Their Property

Once a farmer buys GMO seeds from Monsanto, the plants produced from those seeds become the property of the farmer and not Monsanto. Monsanto suing farmers for their crops is like McDonald's suing consumers for putting a non-McDonald's barbecue sauce on their hamburgers. Once a consumer buys a product, they can consume it however they want. The same is true about farmers.