Should more dramatic steps be taken to stop drunk driving?

• DUI laws are not strict enough.

So many people say that driving drunk us not a problem, but driving drunk kills more often than guns kill. The only people that agree that the DUI laws are to strict are the ones that doing the drunk driving. Here is a question for those people: if your love one was killed by a drunk driver on the first accident, would you still agree that the laws are to strict??

• An intoxicated individual is far from being able to make safe and rational decisions, and so the decision shouldn't be in his hands.

Make the car unable to drive if a person is intoxicated. Every car. Is money really a problem? Won't we feel safer without drunks driving around? Won't our wallets be all the fuller without bills from accidents and tickets and fines? Drunk people aren't capable of making sound decisions, so we shouldn't even give them the chance of screwing one up.

• I think that drunk should be punishment and even kill. We should be harsh with drunk drivers.

I think that drunks should get evil punishment and even get kill because when they kill other people why don't they think that maybe they got family,kids etc and you just kill them. I think they get the same punishment , they should die. We need more strict law. I think that drunk drivers do not understand what mean do not drink and driving, i think that they just don't care about other people around them, and why should we care about drunk drivers if they don't care about others. They should get harsh punishment so that they understand what means to kill others around them.

• Drunk Driving Kills

People die more from drunk driving accidents than from guns. For those that believe that the penalties are to strict, I have a question for you. If it was you or your love one that died as a result of someone else's driving drunk, would you still feel the same way?

• Laws to easy on drunk drivers

I have a nephew and we live in georgia, he has had 2 dui , and both times he has hardly got in much trouble, this last time he was sentenced to 3 days in jail and only served overnight and they let him go. They have only suspended his license for 6 months, which iam sure he will be able to get that cut down also. I believe if you get ONE DUI then you should lose your driving license , in georgia, it takes 3 dui to lose your license forever, but I doubt if anyone does. The judges do not inforce the weak laws alreadt in force, if you drive without car insurance, they will throw you under the jail here, but DUI , it seems they only care if you kill someone, then it is to late.

• PNISHMENT FOR Drunk Driver

I think that drunk should be punishment and even kill. We should be harsh with drunk drivers. And the reason I says this is because my 25 year old Daughter was killed back in 06/52011 she was coming back from her job at 2:00am. This took place 1/2mile from our home. And the Drunk Driver did not live in our area. I believe that Drinker and Driving is much worst than Texts and driving . Because not every person Texts and not the much older people but there are still some of them do still Drinker because I'm in my 50th and I do not Texts. Since my Daughter was killed my whole family world has been turn up side down. My Husband pass away two years after her. So now it is just my Son and I trying to put our life back together it's been almost 6 years since my Daughter death. But each day is still real hard. It's like I have giver up on life. But want keeps me pulling one feet in front of the next is God and my Son. So yes I do believe that the Laws should be harsh with drunk drivers

• Yes they should

It is so stupid that many people get hurt and die and the drunk drivers are fine and just continue to do it over and over again. I am writing a speech on the ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY of drunk driving. DRIVE SOBER OR GET PULLED OVER, PEOPLE!!!! Thanks to all who are against it.

• Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

People who intentionally drive under the influence of any type of mind altering drugs should have to pay a minimum of a $ 10,000.00 fine as well as their license taken away for the rest of their lives. That would not include the damage that was caused if someone had a wreck or the fact that you killed someone. People automatically know they are jeopardizing the lives of everyone when behind the wheel of a vehicle and under the influence, knowing it is wrong to do but they do it anyway in high hopes they can make it home without getting caught by the police or killing someone, then you should never be allowed to drive again. Having "liquid courage" should be a law, that anyone caught driving under the influence should automatically receive the maximum punishment for jeopardizing the lives of other people and being ok with that. Having a drivers license issued to an individual is a privilege that should be taken seriously. When a person is on the road, others trust the fact that they are driving safely that will also result in keeping their family safe. It is called Respect!

• Hurts other people

I know far too many youths and grown adults who choose to drink and drive. Weather it's only a little. The legal limit. To a whopping huge risk of killing themselves and other people. What's the true lost of hope is when other people get hit. Severely injured. Disfigured. Disabled. Or even die! I know too many people especially men who think they are really experianced and can drive. They can. But you need to set an example and discipline yourself as a adult. When u was learning your theory and doing driving lessons you was suppose to take it to heart and take it seriously. Why get cocky now?! How dare they?! It's other people they are hurting and jail for them no one cares. But it's the innocent people they hurt that matters!

• Drunk driving should be given a heavy penalty

This is because the drunk driver of their irresponsible action will cause road accident happen and when accident this will make other road users injure and if seriously will kill their life. The person who be killed or injured in accident they are innocents that,our government should take their responsible on enhance law and penalty to drunk driver.For example,like Singapore if any drunk driver caught by traffic police ,their license will be suspense and after 2 year only they can retake their license.This will make drunk driver afraid and scare and they will not drunk driving again.If every drivers afraid the penalty and accident rates in one country will decline.

• Texting and driving exceeded the deaths due to drinking and driving

If you feel that drinking and driving should be punished more dramatically you are wrong. As texting and driving now leads to more deaths than drinking. Texting and driving doesn't ruin your career and your life. So rather than making punishment any more harsh for drinking, I believe the real concern should be focused on something that now takes more lives per year than drinking.

• No, it won't help.

Drinking is uncontrollable. Even if we use stricter laws, bars are still open. They are still selling beer. And even though we make stricter and more dramatic steps in these things, beer is still legal to the public and should still be sold in the US. It will make a difference, but beer is still sold.

• No, because why waste money on something that is uncontrollable?

I really do not see where anything can be done to prevent it. I know that the laws can be made much stronger, and that might work to prevent someone from getting drunk and deciding to drive. But, then again, when people drink, their mind is impaired, and their thinking and rationalizing abilities are not 100%. So, what's to stop them? Adults cannot be babysat.

Posted by: SlipArnal
  • The penalties are too harsh.

Many drivers are pulled over and subsequently arrested due to the amount of alcohol within them. Although the chances of an accident are increased, this should not be reason enough to put someone in jail and treat him/her like a criminal. If no one was hurt and there was no accident, it is not fair to violate the driver's liberty and freedom because of damages that "could have taken place."

Many drivers are still capable of driving after a few drinks. If there is an accident, they will pay for it. The limit should not be .08. It was .1 in the past. Who is deciding whether or not the driver is capable of driving? Based on vision tests?

And if the driver walks a straight line, says the ABC's, and is coherent, but has a BAC of .08? Because of a traffic violation like, for example, a right on red when no cars are coming? Is this an unsafe move on the road?

Police are out to bust. They should be more empathetic to citizens.

• If drunk drivers drive drunk many times, why aren't there more fatalities?

People argue that drunk drivers drive drunk many times before getting caught. Why weren't there many accidents? Or many fatalities, since MADD will have you believe that each and every drunk driving incident could have been a fatality? You could have killed someone! We hear that all the time. So, why didn't all of these drunk drivers who drove drunk 70-80 times before being caught, kill 70-80 people? The dramatic steps should be to wise up and realize MADD has pressured lawmakers into creating a punitive system that causes extreme hardship on good people. Lawmakers should discard this system and develop one that doesn't hurt drivers who did not hurt anybody.

• The first offense should be strictly for treatment.

The defendant should receive a fair opportunity to get alcohol or drug treatment for as long as necessary. Society is trying to play doctor, and clearly has failed. Let the doctors treat the alcoholic or addict. Doctors don't punish people who cause no harm and are suffering from a deadly disease. That doctor would have no patients. Doctors provide care, which is what society needs to do, as well. Alcoholism is a complex disease with genetic origins. Don't blame the alcoholic for being an alcoholic and for committing a harmless traffic offense. As with any traffic matter, if a serious injury occurs, there should be tougher consequences. Otherwise, forget about it. Enough is enough.

• Laws are not based on Facts

The laws are based on hysteria, not logic. It's the one traffic offense that can be attributable to disease, yet it's the most harsh. The severity makes it more difficult for alcoholics to achieve sobriety, as they cannot afford treatment. The laws should be lightened and the focus should be on health and medical attention. Those who wish punishment probably do not have a good understanding of addiction, but think they know everything. Every time there is a fatality from a repeat offender, think about what would have happened had the drunk driver had a kinder approach to sobriety.

• Way way way too harsh

I dont think the punishment should be anything more than a fine. I have known people who lost their license for a year, that's absolutely ridiculous. How is a person supposed to support themselves? The cops who give out DUI charges should be ashamed, they're preventing our human right to the pursuit of happiness.

• An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure - drink responsibly

We should first focus on prevention. People should drink responsibly regardless of if they get behind the wheel or not. And people should look out for others (whether you know them or not) - which we already do in small part today when people don't get served at a bar if the bartender believes they've had too much. We need to look at other preventative measures that encourage responsible socializing for people of all ages.

Before we consider enacting any legislation, we should looks at the facts (what is the problem, how big is it, how much of it gets solved by legislation - and real numbers/statistics, not opinions). Then we need to know the costs. The US spends too much money on regulation. Sure, we can all argue it's in our best interest, but the mentality that we fund anything, and everything, is putting the US in debt.

In this case, we have strict laws, the impacts are known, we don't need more. Even MADD has said the problem is repeat offenders not a lower BAC level. Funny, it's like airport security - we know the profile of offenders but instead we make it difficult for everyone!

• I Was Hit

A drunk driver hit me many years ago. I do not wish evil things on her. I hope she got the help she needed and is clean and sober today. Accidents happen every day and you are much more likely to be hit by a sober driver than a drunk driver. Texting-while-driving kills more people than any traffic offense. Back off the drunk drivers and let them get the help they need so they don't hurt anybody in the future.

Anonymous says2013-05-16T01:15:11.667
Yes, more dramatic steps should be taken to stop drunk driving, otherwise there will just be more heartbroken families and young lives lost.
booftah says2013-12-01T14:14:03.913
I know someone that just went for his 14th dui this week and is still a free man. He has travelled around the country state to state hiding this fact. I think its appauling. He should have been banned for life and done jail time. But the judge thought it was his fourth offence. It truelly disgusts me because this man has no respect for anyone or anything. Our roads are not safe because of him. He will continue to drink and drive till he kills an innocent person but who cares it seems.