Should more federal research money be granted to study the astounding rise in food-related allergies in recent years?

• Yes there should.

There should be more federal research for the rise of food related allergies that has been coming up in the recent years. I think if more and more people are becoming allergic to foods than it can become a big problem later on where everyone will be allergic and we will struggle to find food.

• More federal research money should be granted to study the astounding rise in food-related allergies in recent years.

More federal research money should be granted to study the astounding rise in food-related allergies in recent years. We should be allowed to figure out what is causing the outbreak and what we need to do to be able to stop it. I think they should be allowed to use the money for a solution.

• There are more serious diseases to research

Food allergies can be serious or even fatal, but if you compare them to AIDS, MS, lukemia, cystic fibrosis, or breast cancer they don't quite seem as urgent. If you look at the overall cost for care and treatment of any of the previously mentioned diseases, it's staggering. That alone makes it worth finding a cure. If I suffered from severe food allergies or had a child who did, I might feel differently, but overall it doesn't seem as pressing.

• No, research money doesn't need to be increased.

Even though I have food allergies myself, I don't feel research needs to be increased in food allergies. I think there are two possible reasons they're more common, even though environmental factors could also be to blame. One is better diagnosis. It took many years for an MD to realize I had always had food allergies. Nowadays, they are diagnosed more readily and more understood by doctors. Second, they can have a genetic factor, so they are passed on by parents to children, which can also increase the likelihood. The main reason I don't feel research money should be increased, though, is that researchers who really take a genuine interest in it will continue to do so even without receiving more federal research money.

• Provide More Natural Foods

I do not believe more federal research money should be granted for the study of rising food-related allergies. I believe we should use our new universal health care to report these incidents to a central authority, say CDC, and then go from there before we spend unnecessary funds on researching the problem. In the meantime, use the funds to promote more natural foods in Americans diets, rather than the processed crap we've been sold for the last decade.