• There is no proof that they really learned

I have faced many MCQs in my exams before and I guessed over a dozen of them in my overall encounters. I was an example of the many students who called their bluff and guessed with no particular knowledge in that topic. Besides there is a 1 in four chance that you will get a correct answer when you guess an answer. In the end, you will not learn anything while educators won't know your weak points. But there is no "good luck" in non-MCQ questions. In a nutshell, if you simply guess an answer, educators can't help you and you won't gain anything in the end.

• Yes they should.

As a teacher, I despise grading long open response tests, so naturally you might assume that I prefer multiple choice. Except...As a teacher, I know first hand that it is the worst way to assess depth of knowledge. Multiple choice, or as my kids lovingly refer to it : "multiple guess" makes you only at most 75% accountable for content knowledge, since traditional multiple choice questions come with a 25% chance of selecting the right answer, even if you have no idea about the content material.

If you truly want to assess a student's knowledge, just leave a blank, and let them fill it in.

• You know or you don't know it

If we want tests to truly reflect a student's knowledge then they should just have to know the correct answer. There's no point in having multiple choice. It just encourages lazy studying because "if I don't know what it is I'll just mark 'C' because that's more likely to be the answer".

• It is not impossible to make MCQs hard

Many people have the misconception that MCQs are much easier than other kinds of questions. Yes, they usually are, but by no means do they have to be. For example, if the answers are very similar in meaning, the test is harder. On the teacher's side, MCQs make grading much easier. It's hard to make short answer questions all the time and still turn grades in on time. And people who write in "C" all the time will just get a lower grade.

• Multiple choice tests knowledge of the material.

Extended response and short answer questions determine your understanding of the material. Multiple choice tests the material by asking questions that only someone who studied would know, its more of a fact. While extended response and short answer questions test a students interpretation of the content, and tests that the student can relate the content to real world problems/situations etc. There would be no possible way to test knowledge on an entire chapter in APUSH for ex. By written response questions, the teacher would never have time to grade that. And state tests? They're already grading thousands of tests so why not make it take 4x longer per test right? No, we have multiple choice questions for a reason.

• Multiple choice tests can do what normal QA tests cannot.

A good MCQs can be a tool to truly find out a student's real level. Normally,a MCQs paper contains four answers,teachers can use 3 of them to mislead students. It is a good way to identify the student's level while normal QAs paper can hardly mislead students to write down wrong answer.It can not show if the students are truly understand the knowledge or not. When students face 4 similar answers,they may use wrong method to solve the question. Yet,some argue that MCQs seems to allow student to guess if they don't know the correct way to solve the questions. What I think is that guessing is also a way to learn and study.In the 4 given choices,maybe 1 of them are totally non-sense.Guessing in a logical way is a ability we want to see from students,and MCQs is the simple way to make a check.If some say what if the lazy students are mark "C" without any logical thinking.I think they need not worry.We have solved this problem--the special marking scheme.If they mark the wrong answer,they will get-1 mark while they can just hand in without marking any answer and get 0 marks. It can perfectly punish the one who just mark in a totally non-sense way. There no reason baning the using of multiple choice tests