Should Muslim Bakers Be Forced to Bake Cakes for Gay Weddings?

Asked by: nignog2k
  • It is not their job to offer their own subjective opinions on the matter.

If a Muslim, or anyone else for that matter, enters the business of cake making, then they should allow anyone to use that business, and not offer their own opinion on the character of that person. If someone refused to make a cake for a wedding between two black people there would be uproar. Discrimination in any sense is wrong.

• Absolutely why not

If Christians are forced to then Muslims should also. Please make that a bacon cake while you are at it!!! If we are all forced to think and believe the same. They should have to make cakes for gay people also. Fair is fair isn't it. Have gays make pro headerel cakes. How many bakerys are there any way one for each city?

• Yes and no...

Alright, I'm definitely not someone that has a super strong opinion on this, but I believe that people shouldn't be discriminated against. An individual employee needs to do their job, be that wait tables or bake cakes. If their employer is paying them to do something, they best do it, no matter who they're serving. It's their job, they're being paid to do it, I have no sympathy for them if they don't want so serve someone. If they refuse, they should be fired. Now then, if it's the owner of a company... Well.... That's where my opinion becomes a bit more foggy. I do have some moral qualms with the idea of someone that owns a private business telling his employees to not serve a certain group of people (or not serving them himself if he works by himself). But I also have moral qualms with the idea of the state forcing them to serve people that they don't wish to serve. On one hand, it's a private institution and the owner should be able to do whatever he wants as long as it doesn't violate the law or harm others. On the other hand, discrimination is, at least in my opinion, just generally unfair. And then are our police supposed to come and arrest a gay couple who wants their cakes to be baked by this baker? I'd say that'd be pretty friggin bad too. So, while I'm nowhere near as gung ho to say "YES" or "NO", I lean towards saying "yes" simply because of some of the implications of saying no.

• Yes and no...

• Yes they should, just like any religious person should

I don't think Muslims have the right to deny a discriminate against a person due to their religion and said person's sexuality. It does not, I say NOT, go against their religion to bake a cake for a gay wedding. It says that they cannot have a gay marriage, it says absolutely nothing about providing services or baking a cake for the wedding being wrong. This goes for people who are Catholic, Christian, Mormon, and every freaking religion under the bloody sun.

• What if an atheist was in the same position?

What if an atheist was forced to participate in a religious ceremony to keep his employment or business? Would that be fair on the atheist?

Atheists won't even pray (or pretend to do so) when having dinner with extended family that happen to be people of faith.

None should be forced to do anything for a livelihood that goes against his or her convictions. Same sex couples can do what they judge and right and celebrate with those who judge the same right. But they should not force those who don't want to celebrate with them to celebrate with them.

• Nobody should be forced to do something that is against their religion

It's the equivalent of forcing meat down a vegan's throat. You can't force your beliefs on anyone. Muslim bakers that condone homosexuality should not be forced to do business with homosexuals. To hold them against that is against the law and trying to force them to would actually be in fact a hate crime.

• Gays ask for respect and tolerance.

What comes around goes around so if you can't take the heat don't fight fire. It is wrong force someone to bake a cake for you and when they say no it is wrong to sue them. Tell me why do you deserve my respect and why should I tolerate hypocrites

• It would violate their rights.

In America, there is this thing called a Constitution, and another thing called the Bill of Rights. If something like that violates your beliefs, you shouldn't have to do it. It is like forcing a Jew to eat bacon, or other things they deem unclean. It is like telling people who they should marry, and they don't get a choice in the matter. I think this a poorly though out question.

• Nope, Absolutely Not

We all should be allowed to live and work per our conscience. Including getting married to the same sex or not participating based on personal beliefs. Let society choose which businesses stay open. Government is not supposed to be our moral guide or make things 'fair', it is so ridiculous.

• Nope, Absolutely Not

• Freedom of Association, Free Exercise of Religion

Specially in a competitive market with plenty of choices it makes no sense to coerce a person to act against their sincerely held religious beliefs and force them to participate or be part of an activity they find sinful, which they might even believe will condemn them to eternal hell.

• No they shouldn't be forced to do anything.

Denying service may be bad for business but it is their business to ruin. If they look at gays as being a sinners and against their god, being impure and immoral beings, why shouldn't they be able to deny service if it goes against everything they believe in. Especially if they view the act of providing these services and a personal affront to their god. If they believe that helping, assisting, or providing goods to a person puts them in disfavor with their god then they shouldn't have to do it.

Might as well say a ex-con previously convicted of multiple crimes against gays, unknowingly walks into a gay couples cake shop and asks to have them bake a cake for him. I wouldn't think twice about having the gay shop owners deny him service as it would be a personal affront to them.

• Absolutely Positively Not

For all you Yes voters I have a simple hypothetical situation for you. Let's say that Westboro Baptist Church walks into a gay photographers office and request that he/she photograph a WBC event. Should the gay photographer be FORCED to attend such an event where no doubt he/she would feel uncomfortable? If you answer anything besides no you're lying your pants off so you don't look like the liberal, progressive, hypocrite, piece of trash you are.

• Of course not.

Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone. Is it a good thing? Not necessarily. But no one should be forced to do something that they believe to be supporting something they stand against. It's a personal problem if they lose business. And as a side note why would you even want someone to make your wedding cake if they don't support your marriage? Find a new baker; it can't be that hard.