Should Muslim cab driver Tamsir Drammeh have been fined for refusing to allow a female passenger in the front seat due to his religious objections?

• Stop this religion crap

Does it even need to be said? "Oh my Allah, a woman". Seriously? Religion really needs to stay where it belongs. In the church, in the mosque. If you want to practice it, fantastic. Practice it among those who share a similar practice. When you're out in the real world, understand that people shouldn't place 2nd fiddle to deities who don't even show themselves.

• Fined, but Not Fired

Yes, I think that he should be given a fine for it. I respect people's religious beliefs, but you also have to understand that he's running a business. That woman was probably very upset and insulted by it. I've never heard of anything like that being against the Muslim religion before.

• Religion has its place

Yes he should have been fined. His job is to transport the public from one destination to another. If there is an option for a person to sit next to him in the front seat his religious beliefs cannot, and should not, allow discrimination towards them to take that seat. If he has limitations due to his beliefs he should not have a job that challenges those beliefs.

• Absolutely. Religion is not an excuse for injustice.

It should be quite simple. While an individual has the right to freely practice a religion, that freedom ends when it is imposed on another person. It is going to be a challenge from time to time for those with conflicting worldviews to accept each other, but one cannot be expected to be able to impose their views on another person. When the religious worldviews conflict, that is where civil law steps in. In this case, unfortunately for Mr. Drammeh, the civil law is in conflict with the way he interprets his religion. However, it is not fair to the passenger who does not share his beliefs.

• Religious beliefs can sometimes set precedence for a civilized society

First of all, I can't believe he was fined for refusing to allow her in the front seat of the car. I have been in a few cabs in my lifetime and I have never sat in the front seat. For one, I don't know this person driving and would prefer to avoid the awkward conversation with a stranger. Just get me to my destination and I will be just fine. I don't believe he was attempting to violate her rights as a human being so I don't have a problem with his request for her to ride in the back of the cab. In some societies a man should not find himself alone in the presence of a woman that is not his wife. It seems to me that it keeps her safe, as well as, keeps him from accusations which should ultimately be a win win. If he politely explains to her the reasons for his preference then the situation should not have escalated.