• Similar To Other Sports in Ways

Although I don't particularly fancy NASCAR, I see no reason why it should not be considered a sport. In my opinion, a sport is essentially a competition of tasks that have a tangible, quantifiable goal that requires a certain level of precision, skill, or strength to outperform your competitors. NASCAR drivers do embody that, as the ultimate goal is to complete a required distance of driving in a shorter time than any other competitor. In long races there is also a strategy element (pit stops ... when to go?) So - why not call it a sport?

• Athletes Get Sponsors, Endorsements Like Everyone Else

NASCAR drivers have to be in good shape to drive a car for three hours at 175 mph. Drivers get sponsors, have a team backing them up and make millions of dollars just like other athletes. NASCAR is an endurance sport that lasts more than half the year. Drivers have to be in top shape, have lightning-fast reflexes and must perform at a top level every week just like a football, basketball or baseball player.

• NASCAR trying to be a sport?

In general, people tend to think NASCAR is not a sport, but it does follow the desription of a sport. If we review the noun descriptions from Merriam-Webster; a) source of diversion, b) physical activity engagement for pleasure. The fans are definitely diverted, and there is physical activity for the drivers and pit crews. So, therefore, it does fit the desription.

• It totally is

It's a sport because it takes a lot of skill, most people say that turning left takes no skill but it does they are going about 200 miles per hour it's a sport because their sometimes 3 cars wide and just feet from each others doors. And If they just jerk the wheel a little bit one way it's all over and they spin out. And for people that say it's not athletic it is there arm stregth has to be very good to turn left for four hours. And over the course of one season they lose about ten pounds because there sweating so much because it's so hot in those cars.

• Sports science proves it

Core temperature at 101 degrees Fahrenheit, losing 12 pounds of water weight, having to handle a car at 3 Gs, and having an average heartbeat as an endurance runner all prove that Nascar drivers need to be athletic to win in a race. Anybody can get in a car and drive fast, but an athlete can do it for 200 laps and be successful.

• Driving is just an everyday action that requires no athletic prowess whatsoever.

First off, driving is an essential part of everyday living. Sure, there are some people who don't, but for those of us who do, is it athletically challenging? If we call this modern American staple a sport, then what will stop us from considering sleeping, eating, or even breathing to be sports?
    Next, I believe that you could stop any person driving a car on any given street on any given day and this person would be able to do the same thing these so-called "athletes" do. I actually think that NASCAR is easier than regular street driving because in everyday driving, there are stops, turns, and changing speed limits, whereas in NASCAR, you just go as fast as you can and turn your hands every once in a while.
    Anyone who says that NASCAR is an athletic event is just kidding himself.

• No, it is not dependent on fitness.

No, NASCAR should not really be considered a sport, because the person who is the most-skilled or the most physically fit does not always win. Something is not a sport unless there is a physical element that affects the ability of the person to win or lose. NASCAR is entertaining, and could be physical in some ways, but is not really a sport.

• Should NASCAR be considered a sport?

No, I don’t think NASCAR should be considered a sport even though it is competitive in nature which would be a requirement for a sport. When I think of a sport I think of an event requiring athletic physical ability. I’m sure NASCAR is very strenuous and involves talent but I wouldn’t consider it a sport.