• It works in Norway.

The crime rates in Norway (ignoring the immigrants) is at an all time low, due to the compulsory military service there. They have to work in the military for one year of their life, which in the long term obviously increases a lot of key life skills, and obviously improves the behavior of the people in the country. I believe that it is the way to a more civilized society.

• People should join part in a national service after they have graduated high school.

People cant just lay around going to nightclubs and sit at home watching TV and eat a bag of crisps.They should go out and actually do something for their country (like national service) and give up their lives for their country. That way they get respect and they become a better and healthier person in life.

• Resolved: In the United States national service ought to be compulsory.

Please consider the following contentions:

Contention I: Freedom Is Something That We Have To Fight For
    Subpoint A: We all want freedom, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s free. We had to fight for our freedom before, and we still have to fight for it today. How can it be fair for anyone to get their freedoms handed to them without paying like countless others have? People can sit around and say that they want freedom, they can use or abuse their freedoms all day. But if someone truly wants freedom, they will be willing to fight for it and for this country.
    Subpoint B: If we want freedom, then we have to defend it. If nobody wants to fight, then our country will have no one to defend it, and then we’ll either have a tyrant who takes away all of our freedoms, or there won’t be an America left to enjoy freedoms. If this is something we want, then we HAVE to work for it.

Contention II: We Owe It To This Country
    Subpoint A: All the freedoms that we enjoy, we have because others already fought for it. Those brave men and women who have fought and are still fighting for this country have already done enough, and we owe it to them to help in every way that we can.
    Subpoint B: And not everyone has to fight- someone could be a nurse or doctor, and help the wounded. Either way, those brave soldiers risked everything for us, and we owe them that completely.

Contention III: Serving Our Country Should Be An Honnor
    Subpoint A: Our country has come a long way, improving and growing. This country is one of the greatest, and its people have many more freedoms than in most other countries. For such a great nation, serving should be an honnor. We should be proud to know that we are standing and fighting for America, and helping this country in any way we can.
    Subpoint B: On the Fourth of July, you often hear a song including these words “And I'm proud to be an American Where at least I know I'm free And I won't forget the men who died Who gave that right to me And I gladly stand up Next to you and defend her still today Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the USA” These words ought to mean something to every American Citizen. These words need to ring true in each of our hearts- they should be more than just words. This country is something worth fighting for, our freedoms are worth fighting for. For national service to be compulsory, we aren’t obliged. We are honored.

In conclusion, I have shown you that:
    Freedom is something we have to fight for
    We owe it to this country and its’ veterans
    Serving this country should be an honor.
    For these reasons and the sake of Patriotism, national service ought to be compulsory.

In conclusion, I have shown you that:

• Unity in our Country

Many other countries are also required to do National Service and as stated above, it does not just mean military service. It works for the betterment of society and our country. In order to feel and truly receive these freedoms, we must first experience the price at which it is paid. This does not mean dying or putting our life in danger, it only means devoting some part of our lives to help our country in which we spend our remaining lives living in freedom not many get to experience.

• I support this

I and many others see the problems with this,but nobody is really looking at the good things.The betterment of our society.All of these things help us.Thes military is not the only branch you can do there are many many many ways to preform national service and every one of them are valuable

• Life skill experience

National Service doesn't just apply to military. If you're a humanitarian, you could join Peace Corps or something, and learn valuable skills that will give individuals job options in the future. That way, if you want to become a doctor, you might end up with field experience from serving as an army medic, which will mean you do a better job under pressure as a doctor later in life.

• A nation worth fighting for is one that doesn't force it's people to fight.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to die for my country. In fact, I'm not willing to die for any nation. Because I have a great disrespect for every single nation. And honestly, I'm not willing to waste my time to forward some politician's agenda. Honestly, I'd sooner fight my nation than fight for it.

• Expensive and needless

The U.S. Government has the option of a draft. They don't use it because it's unpopular and doesn't work well. All-volunteer forces are preferable, both for public image reasons (No one can go on TV saying "I didn't want to but they made me.") and the morale of the force ("I don't even wanna be here." during basic training and/or in combat.)

You'll run into those same problems with mandatory service.

Not to mention the emphasis is all wrong, in my opinion. Instead of training more people to kill, I would rather see the government provide more college scholarships and funding to fix our infrastructure. If the government has lots of of extra money to spend on soldiers, how about spending some on the millions of people who need health insurance that has to be paid for by somebody? How about a few less drone strikes in Pakistan (with a civilian casualty rate of about 25%) and a bit more funding for the Farm Bill so the poor can worry a little less about where their next meal is coming from?

• Its a waste of time

Its wasting most of our time to do some compulsory military training. Some students still wish to continue their studies. Military training will at least occur 2-3 years. For those who wants to further their studies will waste their time in the military training IF national service IS COMPULSORY FOR ALL STUDENTS

• It shouldn't be compulsory because then the military would be filled with bad attitude people.

The military should be voluntary because it should rather be filled with people who are willing to do the right thing and risk their lives for their country. If there is army men and women who are forced to do mandatory service, then there is a higher chance that there will be some people who are not protecting their country because they are not working as hard. This is terrible as it will decrease the standards of the military force negatively.

• People shouldn't have to do something that they don't want to do

People get things that most people don't like illness. Some people get some people don't. People shouldn't have to get taken away from family and friends to go fight for their country only if they want to. I will say it smart to do the draft but its wrong in some cultures or religion.

• What about the thirteenth amendment?

I am currently debating this topic in school, and to me, the biggest thing is that it breaks the thirteenth amendment which states: Neither slavery NOR INVOLUNTARY SERVITUDE, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction. Last time I checked, that would be a direct violation of our rights as US citizens.

• Everybody it their own person

The national services should not be compulsory because if the military is military is made up with people with bad attitudes towards it and people who aren’t fit for the job, it decreases how good it is. For example, if anybody, no matter how good they were at it, could join a high school varsity soccer team, the team wouldn’t be as good because not everybody may even know how to play soccer, much less be very good at it. Same thing with the military; if there are a bunch of people who aren’t cut out for the job, they are more likely to be killed, or not do their job, or just give up and sit there. It would affect how good our military is, which would severely alter the safety of our country and everybody in it. Nobody wants to have less safety, so the national services should not be required.

• Everybody it their own person

• Against Free Will

What makes the US military very good is that these people are volunteering, they want to do this, they are willing to risk their lives for other people, and this county. People that are forced to be in the military and they don't want to be, can put themselves in danger and their brothers and sisters in arms in danger as well

• Against Free Will