• It works in Norway.

The crime rates in Norway (ignoring the immigrants) is at an all time low, due to the compulsory military service there. They have to work in the military for one year of their life, which in the long term obviously increases a lot of key life skills, and obviously improves the behavior of the people in the country. I believe that it is the way to a more civilized society.

• Resolved: In the United States national service ought to be compulsory.

Please consider the following contentions:

Contention I: Freedom Is Something That We Have To Fight For
    Subpoint A: We all want freedom, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s free. We had to fight for our freedom before, and we still have to fight for it today. How can it be fair for anyone to get their freedoms handed to them without paying like countless others have? People can sit around and say that they want freedom, they can use or abuse their freedoms all day. But if someone truly wants freedom, they will be willing to fight for it and for this country.
    Subpoint B: If we want freedom, then we have to defend it. If nobody wants to fight, then our country will have no one to defend it, and then we’ll either have a tyrant who takes away all of our freedoms, or there won’t be an America left to enjoy freedoms. If this is something we want, then we HAVE to work for it.

Contention II: We Owe It To This Country
    Subpoint A: All the freedoms that we enjoy, we have because others already fought for it. Those brave men and women who have fought and are still fighting for this country have already done enough, and we owe it to them to help in every way that we can.
    Subpoint B: And not everyone has to fight- someone could be a nurse or doctor, and help the wounded. Either way, those brave soldiers risked everything for us, and we owe them that completely.

Contention III: Serving Our Country Should Be An Honnor
    Subpoint A: Our country has come a long way, improving and growing. This country is one of the greatest, and its people have many more freedoms than in most other countries. For such a great nation, serving should be an honnor. We should be proud to know that we are standing and fighting for America, and helping this country in any way we can.
    Subpoint B: On the Fourth of July, you often hear a song including these words “And I'm proud to be an American Where at least I know I'm free And I won't forget the men who died Who gave that right to me And I gladly stand up Next to you and defend her still today Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the USA” These words ought to mean something to every American Citizen. These words need to ring true in each of our hearts- they should be more than just words. This country is something worth fighting for, our freedoms are worth fighting for. For national service to be compulsory, we aren’t obliged. We are honored.

In conclusion, I have shown you that:
    Freedom is something we have to fight for
    We owe it to this country and its’ veterans
    Serving this country should be an honor.
    For these reasons and the sake of Patriotism, national service ought to be compulsory.

In conclusion, I have shown you that:

• Unity in our Country

Many other countries are also required to do National Service and as stated above, it does not just mean military service. It works for the betterment of society and our country. In order to feel and truly receive these freedoms, we must first experience the price at which it is paid. This does not mean dying or putting our life in danger, it only means devoting some part of our lives to help our country in which we spend our remaining lives living in freedom not many get to experience.

• I support this

I and many others see the problems with this,but nobody is really looking at the good things.The betterment of our society.All of these things help us.Thes military is not the only branch you can do there are many many many ways to preform national service and every one of them are valuable

• Life skill experience

National Service doesn't just apply to military. If you're a humanitarian, you could join Peace Corps or something, and learn valuable skills that will give individuals job options in the future. That way, if you want to become a doctor, you might end up with field experience from serving as an army medic, which will mean you do a better job under pressure as a doctor later in life.

• A nation worth fighting for is one that doesn't force it's people to fight.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to die for my country. In fact, I'm not willing to die for any nation. Because I have a great disrespect for every single nation. And honestly, I'm not willing to waste my time to forward some politician's agenda. Honestly, I'd sooner fight my nation than fight for it.

• Expensive and needless

The U.S. Government has the option of a draft. They don't use it because it's unpopular and doesn't work well. All-volunteer forces are preferable, both for public image reasons (No one can go on TV saying "I didn't want to but they made me.") and the morale of the force ("I don't even wanna be here." during basic training and/or in combat.)

You'll run into those same problems with mandatory service.

Not to mention the emphasis is all wrong, in my opinion. Instead of training more people to kill, I would rather see the government provide more college scholarships and funding to fix our infrastructure. If the government has lots of of extra money to spend on soldiers, how about spending some on the millions of people who need health insurance that has to be paid for by somebody? How about a few less drone strikes in Pakistan (with a civilian casualty rate of about 25%) and a bit more funding for the Farm Bill so the poor can worry a little less about where their next meal is coming from?

• Everybody it their own person

The national services should not be compulsory because if the military is military is made up with people with bad attitudes towards it and people who aren’t fit for the job, it decreases how good it is. For example, if anybody, no matter how good they were at it, could join a high school varsity soccer team, the team wouldn’t be as good because not everybody may even know how to play soccer, much less be very good at it. Same thing with the military; if there are a bunch of people who aren’t cut out for the job, they are more likely to be killed, or not do their job, or just give up and sit there. It would affect how good our military is, which would severely alter the safety of our country and everybody in it. Nobody wants to have less safety, so the national services should not be required.

• Everybody it their own person

• Against Free Will

What makes the US military very good is that these people are volunteering, they want to do this, they are willing to risk their lives for other people, and this county. People that are forced to be in the military and they don't want to be, can put themselves in danger and their brothers and sisters in arms in danger as well

• Against Free Will

• What About Rights

I am in high school, and I am debating about this topic. Forcing people into the army is truly, violating our rights more than what the U.S.A is already doing. Why would I want to go to a military when sexual assault is happening in the military, and now they want to force people into the military? NOOOOOO! This needs to to change because, it is unjust.

• No for these

Government Equality
    Government equality needs to be put into action. If we have to go through CNS, why don’t they do something to make them as equal as us? We are a federal republic, after all. (debate.Com, 2016)
    Education
    CNS interferes with people’s EDUCATION. CNS pulls people out at the the peak learning age. That would allow them to pass their peak learning age, so it would be harder for them to learn.
    (connectfunds.Org, 2014)]
    CNS will delay EDUCATION. While they’re away, 2 years pass. Those 2 years could have been used to learn needed things that they should know. Instead, it is used to barely learn skills that won’t even last long enough. College students now need to spend 2 more years to finish college. (connectfunds.Org, 2014)
    Mandatory military service typically drafts young men (and women) when they are at the peak of their EDUCATION ability (18 years old). This delays individual's’ pursuit for higher EDUCATION as well as their entry into the into the civilian labor market, reducing returns to human-capital investments as a result.
    (connectfunds.Com, 2017)
    Ethics
    CNS is not ETHICAL. Compulsory National Service is basically forcing a person to get a job. Enough people already have a job, and we have a well fueled economy. We don’t need this many “volunteers” to fuel our economy. (debate.Com, 2016)
    CNS is not ETHICAL. There are many alternate solutions to CNS, most of them much better. For example, helping people find opportunities instead of forcing them into one they might be uncomfortable with. Volunteerism comes naturally, so why interfere with our already good country? (debate.Com, 2016)
    CNS will not bring PEACE. Everybody will think that CNS is very unfair. This will create protests all over the country. Also, the young scholars that are being sent will think it is unfair that they are separated from their friends for 2 to 4 YEARS. Remember, these are teenagers we’re talking about. (debate.Com 2016)
    CNS will anger many CITIZENS. As you can see, we are one of the many people who oppose CNS. You can also see what has come out of our opposition. (debate.Com, 2015)
    Most people are not FIT for CNS. One of the main points of CNS is to get people who used to stay sitting down, eating chips, playing video games out to stay FIT. But based on how they are right now, do you think they’ll actually be FIT once they enter a job? What about if they don’t have a good education record? They might be forced into a job that requires them to teach if all other options are filled. Then what would come of that person? (debate.Com, 2017)
    Fit
    Religion
    Compulsory National Service harms religions. Some religions like Hinduism and Buddhism dont not allow killing because they believe in incarnation. What if they were in the military, and that deer you told them to kill for food, they believed was there grandma?

• People have the right to choose whether they want to sacrifice for their nation/country.

People have the right to choose whether they want to sacrifice for their nation/country.And in this world,it's not wrong to save your own life and not sacrifice for their country.They still have family,friends.So many people are not willing to sacrifice for their country,I suppose. Government should be enlightened(no offenses tho).LET THE PEOPLE CHOOSE THEMSELVES! I'm sure a part of them would like to die for their nation.Yeah so national services shouldn't be compulsory :)

• Why do you need to force people?

I'm sorry, but even if the country was being invaded (it won't be) I would not get my head blown off "for my country". There are MORE than enough people willing to volunteer in the army. A draft would not be necessary, and it would only make the citizens angry.