• It works in Norway.

The crime rates in Norway (ignoring the immigrants) is at an all time low, due to the compulsory military service there. They have to work in the military for one year of their life, which in the long term obviously increases a lot of key life skills, and obviously improves the behavior of the people in the country. I believe that it is the way to a more civilized society.

• A nation worth fighting for is one that doesn't force it's people to fight.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to die for my country. In fact, I'm not willing to die for any nation. Because I have a great disrespect for every single nation. And honestly, I'm not willing to waste my time to forward some politician's agenda. Honestly, I'd sooner fight my nation than fight for it.

• Expensive and needless

The U.S. Government has the option of a draft. They don't use it because it's unpopular and doesn't work well. All-volunteer forces are preferable, both for public image reasons (No one can go on TV saying "I didn't want to but they made me.") and the morale of the force ("I don't even wanna be here." during basic training and/or in combat.)

You'll run into those same problems with mandatory service.

Not to mention the emphasis is all wrong, in my opinion. Instead of training more people to kill, I would rather see the government provide more college scholarships and funding to fix our infrastructure. If the government has lots of of extra money to spend on soldiers, how about spending some on the millions of people who need health insurance that has to be paid for by somebody? How about a few less drone strikes in Pakistan (with a civilian casualty rate of about 25%) and a bit more funding for the Farm Bill so the poor can worry a little less about where their next meal is coming from?

• People have the right to choose whether they want to sacrifice for their nation/country.

People have the right to choose whether they want to sacrifice for their nation/country.And in this world,it's not wrong to save your own life and not sacrifice for their country.They still have family,friends.So many people are not willing to sacrifice for their country,I suppose. Government should be enlightened(no offenses tho).LET THE PEOPLE CHOOSE THEMSELVES! I'm sure a part of them would like to die for their nation.Yeah so national services shouldn't be compulsory :)

• Why do you need to force people?

I'm sorry, but even if the country was being invaded (it won't be) I would not get my head blown off "for my country". There are MORE than enough people willing to volunteer in the army. A draft would not be necessary, and it would only make the citizens angry.

• Violation of rights.

Compulsory service is involuntary servitude which is prohibited under the Constitution. Its also funny that conservatives who are fearful of an oppressive gov. Actually support an oppressive concept like compulsory service or a draft. Not to mention that this gives more power to an already corrupt gov. To get soldiers for an unvirtuous war that they would otherwise not be able to fight.

By not having a draft or compulsory service we in fact "check" against the gov. Power to wage war. That is, the people decide if the war is worth fighting, not bureaucrats!

“War ... Should only be declared by the authority of the people, whose toils and treasures are to support its burdens, instead of the government which is to reap its fruits.” James Madison

• A waste of resources and people

The United States has a vast amount of people and requiring all citizens to serve in the military spends valuable resources. People should be given their own choices with what to do with their lives, and forcing them to serve in the military for a given amount of time is counter intuitive. Besides, it makes it easier for the government to start wars.