• Respect respect respect

I would guess that every single person who responded NO are white. The bottom line is that if the Native Americans are offended by it then it should be stopped. We are not talking about people from another country being offended by this in America we are talking about the people who were here before us and tried to exist peacefully with the European nuts that came over an destroyed their entire culture. You can be sure that if a white man was offended by something it would cease to exist. This country lacks respect.

• It is not offensive

When the Native American mascots were created they were not created as an insult to Native Americans. It is not a racist thing to use a Native American as a mascot and it does not stereotype them . Using the Native American as a mascot honors them and it brings support to the team.

• It's Vulgar and Disgraceful

It's time to let it go and grow up. I'm sorry, but how hard is it to treat people with respect. Using Native Americans as mascots is one of our proudest and most racist traditions. Having some teenager run around in war paint and head dress whooping it up at the high school football game doesn't honor anyone's culture. It's just glorifies racism and encourages people to learn nothing about our real history.

• Think about others

If you're not a Native American, you might think "What's the big deal?", but when you really think about the names, logos, and the mascots, etc. you'll understand what is wrong. When logos have weapons, Native Americans looking angry, these depict something that's not true. What if I made a logo of you that was the completely opposite of who you actually are and saying it is you? People have to understand that there's other things you can name teams, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

• I simply believe that...

Lets keep it simple. If it offends Native Americans, the use of mascots should end. The word redskin can conjure up hurt or embarrassed feelings. If they are offended by them, who are we to say "No its not!" Native Americans are only 1% of the US population, which is why they have been going unheard over this issue for so many decades. Americans need to be more insensitive and open their eyes to see that if Native American mascots are inflicting hurt, then perhaps it is not a tribute after all.

• The negative CONNOTATION

The connotation of "REDSKINS" really? Its the same as a team named "Yellow Asians"...Its really offensive to the Natives...Red skinned..Same as to the africans calling them the n-word..It probably really should be banned...It could be good in some ways not to ban. But it is offending with a negative connotation to everyone who hears it.

• It's time to acknowledge and address the intercultural ignorance that plagues this country, otherwise we will never move forward...

First, I must state that I believe this is an issue that TRUE Native Americans should truly be addressing, not people with Native American ancestry who do not actively identify or incorporate the culture into their daily lives. However, I say they should be banned because:

1. Native Americans did not create the sports games (professional, minor, and school leagues) that their cultural identities are ignorantly being used to represent, with the exception of lacrosse.

2. To claim its an "honor" is blatant ignorance and avoidance of the core problem-- the lack intercultural communication and respect, especially when considering the history of this country.
    -- If was truly meant to be an honor:
    The tribes would receive a portion of the revenue that their cultural identity is being exploited for.
    Their cultural identity and their role in American history would truly be acknowledged (with visible information) at both the sport's establishments and schools.

3. Their culture should not be exploited until this country and the powerful people who run it learn to acknowledge the many tragedies inflicted by the people who stole their land, murdered them, and placed them on reservations as well as the Native American influences on American culture.

• Its offensive and disrespectful!

I understand that most people think "its been around for years and no ones seemed to have a problem with it. So why start now?" but I don't believe that statement is true. I understand its been around for years and it would break peoples heart to see it go, but have you ever thought how it makes true Indians feel? 9 out of 10 say that they do feel offended by it. You've got to think back in the day "scalping" someone was a matter of evil and a sign of hatred, it was a serious matter and wasn't taken lightly. It is like naming a team Nazi' and saying "lets make the other teams skin boil in anger and fear of us". See how you reacted when you read that why is it when you bring up the killing of Jews their is a great importance, but when you read stuff about how the redskins scalped the team they went against, it doesn't even make you flinch? There is no difference they are both offensive and disrespectful! They should go!

• It stereotypes Native Indians like myself, and gives my people a bad reputation

People think that we are honored to be "represented" by a National Football League team, but really we feel inanimate and different. If these teams don't gather a sense of what they are saying, than I will not think of them as a team, I will think of them as a white supremacist group.

• Racist Mascots Be Gone!!

1) Does not show respect for tribes.
    2) It is racist and does not teach or honor culture.
    3) Disrespectful to have Black, Asian, or Mexican mascots and Native American mascots are just he same.
    4) The R-word (redskins)= The N-word.
    5) The word redskin comes from scalping Native Americans and the heads being stained with blood.
    6) Logos are racist.

• No, Native American Mascots Should Not Be Banned.

The only thing that should be banned is negative stereotyping of Native Americans. There is nothing wrong with celebrating and honoring our country's history, and the first and only non-immigrant people in our country. If we banned Native American mascots it would be just another step towards forgetting our own history and shaping the over-sensitive nation we have become.

• No, absolutely not.

Let's get the "Redskins" mascot out of the way: Yes, "Redskins" is a *slur,* and Washington should be pressed to change their mascot because of its directly offensive nature.

However, Native American mascots in general are not naturally offensive. A Native American mascot doesn't "mock" Native Americans any more than a tiger mascot "mocks" animals; any more than a trojan mascot "mocks" the culture of Ancient Greece; any more than a hoosier mascot "mocks" those from Indiana.

Notice anything in common with all these things? Teams choose nicknames of things that they respect -- things that exhibit the traits that they want their athletic programs to embrace: Bravery, respect, admirability, courageousness, perseverance, wisdom, etc. Is the University of Southern California making fun of Ancient Greek culture by condoning the use of a Trojan mascot? No -- in fact, they are showing their reverence for the traits commonly associated with Trojans. The same goes for Native American mascots.

You know what's really "offensive?" A small group of people believing that an entire society should cater to their "feelings" no matter how irrational they may be. That's offensive. A bear attacked and nearly killed my dearest grandmother when she was in her younger years. I hate bears. Say, it is offensive to me that the UCLA Bruins have a BEAR as their logo! I demand them to change it.

Sorry, the world doesn't work that way. I'm yet to see a legitimate argument in favor of banning Native American mascots -- people are too busy whining about feelings and illusory "racism" to give the issue any actual thought.

Posted by: SD12
  • Remembering and Honoring Native American Culture

My local area school district is under fire and our community divided on this very issue. I see it as a lose/lose situation... On one hand, if we keep the mascot, then we run the risk of being labelled racists. If we remove the mascot, then we run the risk of dishonoring Native Americans even more by erasing their history. The mascot name was never intended to be used as a derogatory term, it was to honor the Native Americans who lived on the land our schools now occupy. If people look hard enough, they can always find a reason to be offended.

• Native American Mascots banned, seriously?

This whole argument is ridiculous. I am a Native American and I even go to a school named after a Chief of the Yakima Nation tribe. Everyone at our school knows how we got the name of our school. We even went to the tribe and asked permission for it. They are proud of our school academically, and athletically. They even blessed the land before our school was even built. If we do anything that involves our mascot we go to the tribe and ask their permission on it. They have to say yes for us to be allowed to do it. Before people even argue about this they should know the actual background of the naming of some mascots. Some people are continuously stating the same fact, that its racist. To you it might be racist, but the tribe might feel honored about it. So before you even say anything bad about it, do your research. Don't just assume or guess on how you feel about something, know your facts.

• They shouldn't be banned

It is honoring the Native Americans. You don't hear anybody complaining about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. They are trying to keep the tradition and the identity of the tribe and its people. Not to mention that Native American Elders gave them permission to use the names in the first place.

• Too Much Money!

We are already in debt as a country. We should be focusing on bigger problems. It would cost an unreasonable amount of money to change everything. The gym floor, the logos, uniforms, football fields, paint, etc. So unreasonable to go through all that work. It is an honor to have a team be named after your tribe, not a mockery.

• Oh come on, really?

All these sports teams are doing is showing pride in their schools. They are also showing pride in the history and the different cultures we have. I don't see racism at all - its just pride, and they aren't showing it in a bad way. They are respecting the rituals and showing pride in their school.

• No, that's just wrong.

Are you kidding me? That's like asking to take away someones rights. Just no, that's immoral. Like segregating all over again. Besides who is it hurting being a mascot? Everyone loves mascots; they have a special place in peoples minds when they watch a game, or hear about a certain team.

• Mascots banned, really?

Well, many believe that the Native American mascots are racist &/or offending. I, for one, am not Native American but I duly believe it would be an honor to have a professional sports team representing your race/nationality. But I do understand the other side's opinion when many say that some logos are racist.

• No. It would cost to much money!

No. This change is not needed because 75% of Native Americans don't even care about this topic. Also what would we do with the other team names like "The Saints", "The Irish", etc. Plus, in this economy( United States) we are already in 16,800,000,000+ in debt. Making this change would result in some money from the state and government being wasted on changing a sport team name/mascot.

Bissell says2014-07-31T03:08:26.010
Currently there is a debate in the sports world. Several college and pro teams are named after Native Americans. One side of the debate says the use of these mascots is demeaning to the Native Americans. Slang terms that are not politically correct or are a form of ethno-stereotyping, giving a certain characteristic to a group of people, to the Native Americans. Groups would like the names changed. The other side of the debate would like to honor the Native Americans by using the names. By using Native Americans as mascots, teams are remembering the contributions of the Native Americans to history and the names should not be changed.