Should Native American reservations be abolished?

• Yes, IMHO, they should be...

But whether they are or not, the best thing that modern day AMERICANS with native ancestry (1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full or whatever) can do for themselves is drop any self-pitying thought processes.

For instance, I'm a white male. But my parents immigrated to the US through Ellis Island long after early settlers and natives fought over turf. So don't hold your hand out to me implying that I somehow owe you something. That racist attitude will only hurt you and your family members in the long run.

I can't imagine what the natives went through the time of settlement. Or what aborigines or my ancestors or any other race/people you can think of went through in earlier, more ruthless times. War is hell. But remember: You did NOT go through it. And I did not either. We pick up the pieces and go on with our lives. We count our blessings and start building on them. THAT is the formula for success - not this reservation system which seems to keep native americans as pawns used to enrich lawyers.

• Abolish and Absorb

The US is one nation...Time has passed, complaints are common re: poor living conditions/education/etc. Time to move forward and have one America. We did not send Afr-Caribbean citizens back to their countries of origin or provide them lands after abolishment of slavery...They were integrated (yes the level is still up for debate), time to integrate the Native Americans and reclaim lands -- or retain small portions of them for historic/cultural respect.

• When is enough finally enough

Its been a long time, nobody personally remembers any of the events leading to the creation of the reservation. I think they should be given a choice to be part of USA or to be separate and if they want to be separate than they will need green cards to come into the USA. Nobody deserves more rights than other people.

• People shouldn't forced to live a certain way just because of who their ancestors were.

We live in a modern society where all people are expect to have equal opportunity to succeed, having native americans live on reserves undermines this, it is the last remaining form of segregation in our society. Even if conditions on them weren't as horrible as they are now, even if the people living their were all healthy, didn't suffer from widespread alcoholism and drug addiction, didn't have a heavy tendency towards child and domestic abuse, and were living of the land like the reserves intended instead of consuming huge amounts of government welfare, the reservations should still be abolished because it forces people to live in and bring up their children in poor primitive conditions. If a way of life cannot sustain itself in modern times, it should be left to die out on its own without the state getting involved and only make things worst. The best solution to this issue is to have indians assimilate into society like normal civilised people instead of trying to get them separate from it.

• Reservations are the last vestige if segregation.

In the South, blacks were forces to go to seperate, more poorly funded schools than whites. Today, all throughout the nation, the federal government segregates the natives in areas with poorer living conditions. This is not only bad for the natives, this is a violation of their basic human right of equality, regardless of race or creed. They didn't choose to go to the reservations in the first place. They were forced into them by the military. Racial segregation is always a bad thing.

• "No Taxation Without Repersenation"

I feel that this statement is very accurate, not for the same reasons it was used in the thirteen British colonies back in the mid-late 1700's but because the Native American population is and has been beaten into submission by the American Government since it's inception and keeping these reservations open you reinforced that fact. The Native Americans have a proud history and to keep them in reservations is tandemount to Human Husboundry.
    Give these peoples a land to call their own so they can be strong and proud once more. To hunt, forage and grow as a civilisation once again to flourish.
    What I would propose would be for the American Govn. To show a kindness never in my knowlege to be offered sincerely and designate lands to the Native American similar to National Parks and such.

• Reservations prevent Indian culture from adapting

I'll dispense with the 1st emigrant story. People have been coming to North and South America for 35 thousand years. People move around. The main issue of reservations is the captive poverty cycle that is perpetuated. 1st Nation growth will come with the risk of adaption, just like their ancestors.

• Abolishing Indian Reservations

Common sense tells me it is wrong, The abuse, substandard living conditions, the quality of life. I believe all Americans should have the opportunity to improve and have an acceptable quality of life. Will this be easy .... No! Do I have all the answers .... No. However, I believe in equality for all Americans and having the Indian population assimilate into the total population is the right thing to do. There is no time table. Change will take many years, but it can happen.

• Reservations are racist.

The segregation of a people from the rest of the populace is racist. Plain and simple. We are all equal and all deserve to be treated the same despite cultural differences. Those who identify as Native American can choose to live among others who identify like themselves, but making it an institutionalized practice is disgusting and backwards. We are all better than this.

• No, Native American Reservations Should Not Be Abolished.

Native Americans were the first people to colonize the United States and as such are the only non-immigrant people in the country. The European colonizers destroyed their communities, killed them off by the thousands, stole their land and forced them to live on reservations. To take away the last shred of their past lifestyle would be unjust and inhumane.

• More Reservations needed

More lands should be granted for reservations. Cultural heritage is being lost more and more with every generation. Treaties are constantly violated and indigenous peoples are subjugated. A reservation helps to keep some traditional ways alive for just a bit longer. Very few can understand, nor even will they try.

• Greediness enough people of americas

First killed them and then sold their land based on a shameful doctrine of discovery. Be humble and accept the truth that the righteous first land owners of the Americas were the people of Indian country. Very these people lived in a peaceful and harmonious life of the fertile land of Americas of Mother Nature. You the descendant of the euroamericas colonist why let them had their own French revolution to defend their liberty, sovereignty and dignity. By ceasing their land and tearing apart their life you unfairly settled at Americas and banned them from ownership of their land. Sons of colonists be shamed of your greediness.

Posted by: hge
  • Greediness enough people of americas

Took their land and sold it based on a shameful doctrine of discovery. Why you descendant of euroamerican colonists did not let them have a french revolution of their own, the real land owners of americas. Be humble and see the reality that these people`s righteous first ownership of these very indian land of mother nature ceased by the greedy euroamericans and tore apart their peaceful harmonious life with nature.

• We belong, you do not.

The Native American people are the only people that have not immigrated to the America's. We belong here, and we have every right to remain on the little bit of land that has been granted to us by the government. We are the history and creation of America, and should not be treated as if we do not belong.

• Native American reservations should not be abolished.

Native American reservations are an important part of tribal life and they should not be abolished. Rather, the government should work to improve the quality of life on reservations to ease poverty. There should be more educational opportunities and jobs available on the reservations. This is the only way to redress past injustices.

• Abolishing native reservations is not just

If there is one thing cannot deny it is the unjust treatment of the Native Americans in our country's early days. I'm sure I don't need to be giving everyone a history lesson here but the United States did forcefully take away native land, as well as make them march to relocate away from their homes. We took their land from them before and we need not do it again.

• Absolutely Positively Not

The Federal Government moved and forced Natives to live on reservations in the first place. They signed treaty's with the tribes however as we all know "the man" doesn't follow through on his word, and slowly but surely the land given is slowly taken piece by piece. So in closing at least the government can let the natives keep what was forced and promised.

• Keep the Reservations!

Native Americans should have the right to preserve their culture. I believe that the only way their culture can be preserved are the reservations. On the reservations Native Americans can worship and celebrate freely. Sure native Americans don't have to be on reservations but if they ae they won't be judged by their culture.

• No no no

No I feel that we the Americans should give the native Americans there land back I mean how cruel is that, to take the land of the natives when they have been living here forever? I honestly feel really bad for them it's totally unfair and we need to expand the native Americans reservations rather that minimize or abolish them. That's just wrong this is turkey there land not ours. We are to cruel